There are times when you want to have something desi, something hatke(different), without the hassles of spending much time in the kitchen. This jhatpat(quick) Paneer Roll recipe is a saviour, for those times. These spicy filling with chutneys and sauces, onions and bell peppers of your choice, wrapped in a Roti(Indian flatbread) is a complete meal in itself and taste bud tickling food!!
These Paneer Rolls are healthy , wholesome(use whole wheat chapati) and filling..
It’s Friday night and everyone in the house wants something different. These rolls come as a saviour when I am too in a mood to sit and relax and don’t want to cook something elaborate.
I used tortilla wraps that saved the time for making chapatis, as I was in no mood to spend much time in cooking. You can use whole wheat chapatis, that I normally do. The filling is a very handy one.. it can be used as filling in sandwiches and burger buns and packed for kid’s lunchbox.
To make the filling, stir-fry onions, bell peppers and paneer and then cook in tomato purée with masalas, till all the masala coats paneer pieces. Make dip for layering the roll, add green chutney with hung or thick curd/sour cream. To make roll, heat or warm the tortilla, layer it with lettuce, some filling, a spoonful more of chutney, roll and serve hot. You can use tomato ketchup instead of green chutney for kids. I layer the roti/tortilla with mayo tomato sauce, for my little one as he can’t have the spicy green chutney. Add finely chopped onions marinated in lemon juice on the filling before rolling it.
These Rolls taste best when having it fresh, in case you plan to make it ahead of some party or for kids lunch box, some tips can help you in keeping the roll away from turning soggy.
- Skip layering the tortillas/chapati with sauce or chutney as the liquid content in it will turn the base soggy.
- Or mix chutney with greek yogurt/sour cream.
- Let the filling cool down as hot filling also makes the outer wrap soggy,
- Layer the tortilla/chapati with lettuce(if using) first then top with the filling.
So let’s start with the ingredients and then see the method to make ‘Jhatpat Paneer Rolls’.
Paneer Rolls.. Paneer/Indian Cottage cooked in spicy onion and tomato gravy with bell peppers, wrapped in a tortilla or flatbread to make a wholesome and filling meal.Learn how to make easy and quick Paneer Rolls.
- Paneer—-250gms/ 2 cups
- Onions(thinly sliced)—–1 medium
- Mixed Bell Peppers(Thinly Sliced)— around 1/2 cup
- Tomato Ketchup—1-2 Tbsp
- Hot Chilli Sauce—1 Tsp(optional)
- Finely Chopped Coriander and Spring Onion Greens—-1- 2 Tbsp
- Ginger/ Garlic Paste*–1 Tsp
- Coriander Powder—1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder— 1/4 Tsp( increase if you want it spicier)
- Garam Masala—-1/2 Tsp
- Sugar—a pinch
- Salt— as per requirement
- Oil (use any)—–1-2 tbsp
*For Ginger-Garlic paste, crush 1-2 garlic cloves and 1/2 inch ginger in a mortar pestle.
*You can also add 1-2 tbsp of cream to make the filling rich. Also, masala coats nicely on paneer pieces .
- Cut Paneer into stripes as shown in the pic below.
- Puree tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions, bell peppers and stir fry on high flame for few seconds.Add in ginger-garlic paste and fry for few more seconds.
- Add in Paneer stripes keep stir frying for few more seconds. Take off the flame and keep aside.
- In the same hot pan, add tomato purée, and let it cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes, add a pinch of sugar and mix well.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt and give it a nice mix.
- Add in tomato ketchup, chilli sauce(optional), and mix again.
- Add the stir-fried onion, bell peppers and paneer and mix gently so that the masala coats the paneer and bell peppers nicely. Add and mix chopped coriander and green onions Switch off the flame and transfer to a plate or a bowl.
- Heat a griddle or tawa, using very little oil (optional), roast the tortilla/chapati for a few seconds so that it is just warm enough up. If you roast more these may become hard and dry.
- Take one tortilla/chapati, spread some green chutney/ tomato ketchup on it. Mix together green chutney and yogurt/sour cream together and then spread.
- Put the filling and lettuce, and roll up from both the sides to wrap, and serve. You can seal the covering with a toothpick.
You can wrap half of the roll in a butter paper to serve. Also if you are packing for lunch, wrap in aluminium foil. ( See the tips above if you are packing for lunch or making ahead of a party).
With lettuce, you can add other salad veggies of your choice like grated carrots. I like adding lettuce only.
Mushrooms can also be used for filling along with paneer if you like it. Will shortly update Mushroom Kathi Roll Recipe.
Vegan can add Tofu in it instead of Paneer. Use any gluten-free tortilla for the roll.
Try these yummy and easy to make rolls for a quick dinner and enjoy with the beverage of your choice!!
Do share your feedback. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!