This ‘Almond and Orange Cake’ is one of the favorites in my house and finishes in no time as soon as it is out of the oven. It is moist, melt in the mouth and bursting with citrus flavors as you take the first bite. I use Almond flour quite often in my cookies, cakes and muffins. It adds a moistness to your bakes a kind of melt in mouth texture. If you are looking for an eggless, gluten-free recipe with no butter and less sugar, just bookmark this. I add nuts for the crunch and extra nutrition 🙂 and some dried cranberries as they are perfect to go with orange flavor, you can opt these out if you avoid nuts. Orange is my favorite flavor for cakes and muffins. I usually use fresh orange juice in my bakes but you can add packed juice also. Usually, I make muffins and quick breads for packing into kids lunchboxes for snack time or for a quick breakfast with a glass of milk, but this one is so light and yummy that this finishes in no time. This time also, the cake was half gone while I was taking pictures and it just disappeared within few minutes when I finished taking the pictures!!
For making this cake I used buttermilk and yogurt as egg substitutes. You can add oil or can just avoid adding oil, as Almond flour also has some oil content. This cake is so soft that it needs extra care to take out from the pan once it is baked.
Refer to the pictures below on how I made this yummy, melt in the mouth and ohh so full of flavor. It just takes less than 15 minutes to make the batter and 40-50 minutes to bake.
Mix together Almond Flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Chop the nuts finely.
Orange Essence, Sugar, freshly grated Orange Zest and fresh orange juice.
Grate the zest of orange and rub into the sugar. I love adding the zest of citrus fruits like lime, lemon, and orange in my fruit flavored cakes. These impart a strong citrusy flavor to the bakes. Rub nicely into the sugar.
Make buttermilk. Add 1tbsp of vinegar to 100ml of milk, and let it stand for few minutes. Do not stir the mixture.
In a bowl beat together oil, sugar, yogurt.
Add orange juice and essence and mix nicely.
Mix in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk.
Lightly dust the chopped nuts and cranberries and fold half of it into the batter. Nuts and berries won’t sink to the bottom if lightly dusted with flour.
Transfer to a well greased and dusted pan or line the pan with parchment paper.
Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes at 350F or 180. Check for doneness after 40 minutes using a toothpick. If it comes out clean or some crumbs attached to it, bread is done, else cover with an aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
Take out of the oven, after 2 minutes, transfer it to a wire rack for cooling.
Dust it with icing sugar or top it with some whipped cream or chocolate sauce or finish it up just like that!!
Almond and Orange Cake--Egg-Free
A healthy gluten-free, citrusy cake with the goodness of almond meal, almonds and cashew nuts for crunch and dried cranberries for the tanginess!!
- Almond Flour- 2 cups
- Yogurt-3/4 cups
- Chopped Nut(Cashews,Almonds- 50g
- Raisins- a handful
- Oil- 1/4 cup
- Baking Soda- 3/4 Tsp
- Baking Powder- 1 Tsp
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Orange Juice from one orange or 1/2 cup p
- Orange Essence- 1 Tbsp
- Salt- a pinch
Apple Cider vinegar- 1 Tbsp
2. In a bowl, whisk together Almond Flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt.
3. Chop the nuts finely.
4. Make buttermilk by adding vinegar to milk. Do not stir it. Let it stand for few minutes until ready to use.
5. Rub in orange peel into sugar. It should mix nicely into the sugar.
6. In another bowl, mix oil and sugar until sugar mixes well.
7. Add yogurt, orange juice and essence and mix well.
8. Add in flour in three parts alternating with buttermilk.
9. Fold in half of the lightly dusted nuts and cranberries.
10. Transfer batter to the pan and top it with the remaining nuts and cranberries.
11. Bake in a preheated oven for 40-50 minutes.
12. After 40 minutes take the toothpick test, if it comes out clean,cake is done, else, cover with aluminium foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
13. Once done, transfer carefully on a wire rack, and let it cool completely.
Bake this cake or bread whatever you want to name it, and I am sure you and your loved ones are definitely going to love it!!
Thanks for stopping by and follow the blog for more such healthy and flavorful recipes!!