Best Eggless Kale Brownie recipe with nutritious flours and Jaggery
Who doesn’t love Brownies?!! Are you one of those parent who is always looking of ways to serve healthy, nutritious and yet delicious food and sweet treats for your loved one?? Few more questions .. 😉 Do your kids make faces when they even hear Kale?? Or even you find this leafy green quite unpalatable for your taste??
If the answers to the above questions is yes, then definitely you are going to love this recipe!!
The best every Fudgy Brownies with none other than trending leafy green and a super-food KALE!! These brownies are packed with all the nutritious ingredient that makes these kind of Guilt-free treats!!
KALE The Super Green
Out of all leafy greens KALE is known to be one of the most nutritious green that is packed with nutrients. Known to be one of the richest source of Vit. C, it also contains a good amount of Vit. A and antioxidants. Rich in fibers and very low in calories, Kale contains very low percentage of fat which comes under good fat(Omega-3 fatty acid). It is very high in beta carotene, and the best source of Vit. K.
Try to include this nutritious green as much in your diet. You can make Smoothies, stir-frys(my favorite Garlicky Kale and Mushroom Stir Fry) or curries (Kale and Spinach Saag with Paneer Koftas), add with mustard green to make Sarson ka Saag.
Don’t worry adding kale puree to brownie batter does not alter the taste at all. No one is will know it has Kale in it, it only enhances it nutritional value!!
Ingredients for Eggless Kale Brownies
These Brownies have No All purpose Flour/Maida which has zero nutritional value, No Synthetic Sugar loaded with calories and very high glycemic Index, has walnuts, flax meal, of course Kale.
You are a regular reader of my blog, then you must be aware that I don not use much of Maida/All purpose flour(APF) in my baking now. A year back I switched to more healthy options like Almond Flour, Whole Wheat Flour(like this Almond Orange Cake, Chocolate Garam Masala Cookies, Hazelnut Cookies, Whole Wheat Pizza or these Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders or Mini Burger buns and many more). Tried my hands on Coconut flour too(Chocolate Cherry and Hazelnut Cake). Since we don’t have any gluten allergies, I use a mix of any of the flour.
Jaggery powder is used as sweetener. You can also use Coconut Sugar/Palm sugar. Since my kids and hubby love sweets, cakes and other treats, especially the home baked , I have also started avoiding refined sugar for baking. Switching to Raw sugars is more of the healthy option and the taste and texture of the baked goodies doesn’t changes much.
Flax meal as egg-replacer. I have added Flax-meal along with flours.
Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, Butter, Baking Powder and White Chocolate chips( my kids love these) and Buttermilk or Paneer Whey.
Paneer Whey is the water that is leftover after straining paneer(Indian Cottage Cheese) when we make paneer at home from milk and vinegar. Check here how to make Paneer at Home. I use it for chapati dough or while making breads like Pizza base , Pav (Indian Dinner Roll) . Also add it for Eggless cakes and muffins(Mango Cardamom Cupcakes).
Let’s see how to make these delicious Kale Brownies without eggs
If using Kale bunch, clean the leaves, remove thick stem, wash nicely and puree the leaves. I used 2-3 cups of packed chopped Kale leaves. After pureeing it will be around 1 Cup.
Make Buttermilk. Add 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 cup or 100 ml of milk, and keep aside. If using Paneer Whey, then skip this step.
Sift together all the flours, flax meal and baking powder. I used a combination of Almond Flour, Coconut Flour and Whole Wheat Flour. You can make these brownies only with Whole Wheat Flour also. If using only Almond Flour substitute 1/4 cup of it with Cornstarch or tapioca flour.
Pls Note: If using only coconut flour, eggless brownies will be little crumbly, so it better to use it in combination with any of the above flour.
Melt Butter and Chocolate together. Then mix in sugar, kale puree, vanilla essence, mix well.
Fold in the flour mix and add buttermilk/paneer whey accordingly. Do not over-beat or over-mix the batter.
Transfer the batter to a lined baking pan, and bake in preheated oven for about 3- min.
Once done, take out and let it cool. Then cut into squares. Just out of the oven brownies are very soft, leave the pan on counter and then carefully take out and cut. I prefer using a parchment paper, brownies can be easily taken out of the pan.
Recipe Card for Kale Brownies
- 1 Cup Kale Puree (from around 2-3 Cups of Chopped Kale Leaves)
- ½ Cup Almond Flour
- ½ Cup Coconut Flour
- ½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Flax Meal
- ¾-1 Cup Jaggery
- 1/4 Cup Dark Unsweetened Chocolate
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts or Pecans
- 1/4 Cup White Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Paneer Whey optional and use as required
For Buttermilk(when using)
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar/Synthetic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 190°C.
- Wash nicely, clean and puree kale.
- Sift together all the flours, flax meal and baking powder.
- Make Buttermilk. Add 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 cup of milk, and keep aside. If using Paneer Whey, then skip this step.
- Melt Butter and Chocolate together. Then mix in sugar, kale puree, vanilla essence, mix well.
- Fold in the flour mix and add buttermilk/paneer whey accordingly. Do not add all of the liquid all at once and over-beat or over-mix the batter. Batter should not be very thick and not of flowing consistency.
- Transfer the batter to a lined baking pan top batter with more chopped walnuts and choco chips (optional), and bake in preheated oven for about 30-35 min.
- Once done, take out and let it cool. Then cut into squares. Just out of the oven brownies are very soft, leave the pan on counter and then carefully take out and cut.
- Store in air-tight container. Stays good for a week in refrigerator.
- In place of Kale you can use spinach leaves.
- All Purpose Flour can be added in place of the other flours used, or use the mentioned flours in any proportion. Total 1½ Cup of Flour should be used.
- Vegan Version..
- In place of butter you can use any plant based flavorless oil
- Use only Gluten-free flours and skip Whole Wheat Flour.
Do try these delicious and nutritious brownies. Nobody will know that these have Kale in it. Pack for kids snack box or enjoy with a cup of Coffee or hot chocolate for kids. Drizzle some chocolate sauce top it with more nuts and choco-chips and enjoy the treat!! Who doesn’t like a warm brownie with your favorite ice cream..Indulge in such yummy treats once in a while or make it for your kids party.
Linking Kale Brownies to my Facebook Foodie group A-Z Recipe Challenge,where all the participating members are sharing dishes that has one of the main ingredient that starts with the letter of the month.This month the letter is K.One of the main ingredient in my recipe is Kale.
Whenever you try these do let me know your feedback.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!