How to make Japanese Fruit Sandwich | Fruit Sando Recipe | Fruit and Cream Sandwiches
Refreshing Fruit Sandwich with Cream and fresh Fruits. My fruit Sandwiches are a take on the popular JAPANESE FRUIT SANDOs which you can enjoy as snack in between meals or serve your kids backyard party.
A must include fruity sandwich for your High Tea and kitty parties.
Japanese Fruit Sandwich is a colorful delicious sandwich that are so easy to make that even kids can put it together in minutes. Ideal for their NO FIRE School Projects too.
It’s a NO COOK Recipe perfect for hot summer days. These sandwich tastes almost like a Fresh Fruit Vanilla Sponge Cake or pastry.
I came across this recipe on net few years back . I sometimes made it when their friend came. Kids love these creamy and fruity sandwiches. It is a fun snack for kids party with their favourite fruits. And why only kids even grown ups enjoy these soft creamy and fruity sandwiches on summery hot afternoon.
Recently I saw pics on Instagram. It’s EASTER TIME and summers are here. Moms need some fun recipes which also have health element in it. So, decided to put it on blog.
Since these sandwiches are made with whipped cream, which not good for kids on regular basis. You can also make these with Yogurt Cream instead of using all whipped cream. But you can always make these for fun times and parties.
During hot summer days, kids and even we get fussy many times to eat full meals. You can make these for a change and enjoy it even for a light meal with any of your favourite savory sandwiches.
What Are Fruit Sandos/Fruit Sandwiches
Japanese Fruit Sandos are soft and creamy fruit filled sandwiches made with a special Japanese Bread (Shokupan) . These cute looking colorful sandwiches are filled with strawberries(popular choice) but we can always use seasonal fruits like kiwi, mango, pineapple, banana.
Bread is layered with whipped cream, layered with fruits. The sandwich is then cut straight down the middle to create a symmetrical sweet treat with the delicious fruits featured in the center.
These also take me back to my childhood when we used to put cream from milk(malai)sprinkle some sugar and layered either mangoes/banana or oranges and enjoyed the treat.. who knew that these had some name or a specialty of Japanese cuisine 😄.
Did you ever make these sandwiches while having fun in kitchen with your siblings and cousins ..
Ingredients for Fruit Sandwich
Bread– Main ingredient for Fruit Sandwich are the traditional Japanese bread which has a cake like texture. But since we cannot get it everywhere, so I use White milk bread which is soft, fluffy and has a hint of sweet taste to it.
Cream– Mildly sweetened Whipped cream. We can also add mascarpone cheese, or cream cheese along with whipped cream.
Incase you don’t want to use whipped cream you can also make yogurt cream using greek yogurt with small amount of whipped cream.
Fruits– Use seasonal fruits which have less water content. Strawberry, Mango, Kiwis, Banana or pineapple.
Others- Vanilla Extract for cream. I also like to layer bread with jams or marmalade, so that cream binds nicely with bread and does not make the bread soggy.
Tips to make perfect and non soggy Fruit Sandwich
Keep the cut fruits on tissue paper to absorb extra water.
Whip cream to stiff peaks. You can also use Cool Whip(availabe at grocery stores in US). In India, you can use non-dairy whipped cream.
Related–How to Whip Cream
Use only greek yogurt to make Yogurt Cream. Extra water in yogurt can make the sandwich soggy.
Also, after wrapping sandwich in cling wrap, make a mark from in the direction you want to cut the sandwich so that you can see the fruits arranged in a particular manner.
Other Sandwich Recipes form the blog– Carrot and Cucumber Cream Cheese Mini Sandwich Bites, Paneer Bhurji Sandwich
More No Cook Snacks — Pizza Crackers
How long can we store Fruit Sandwiches
These stay good for a day. You can makes these a day before your party/get together , wrap in cling film. This way the cream will set firmly and you won’t have any problem while cutting.
Fruit Sandwich/Fruit Sandos
- 8 Slices Milk Bread/ Sandwich Bread
- 1 Cup Whipped Cream/Yogurt Cream
- Fresh Fruits Strawberries/Kiwi/Orange/Mango/Peach/Banana
- 1-2 tbsp Mixed Fruit Jam/Orange Marmalade
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (Optional)
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt(optional) for yogurt cream
Make Whipped/Yogurt Cream
- Whip Cream as per the instructions on pack. Or checkout the link->Whipped Cream
- I used already sweetened cream. If you are using Dairy whipped cream which is availabe in US, add 2 tsp sugar (or as per your choice) to sweeten the cream.
- Beat till soft peaks.
Make Yogurt Cream
- Take 1 Cup Greek Yogurt and 2 tbsp of whipped cream. Add icing sugar / raw cane sugar as required.
- Refrigerate till you use it.
- Wash fruits nicely. Peel Kiwis, cut into roundels.
- Trim Strawberries and cut lengthwise.
- Peel the skin and take out seeds from the orange segments.
- Layer fruits on kitchen towel/tissue. Cover with another tissue so that it soaks extra water.
- Spread little jam/marmalade on bread.
- Spread thick layer of cream.
- Arrange fruits as you like it.
- Checkout the pics in main post, to see how I have layered fruits like they do in Fruits Sandos/Japanese Fruit Sandwiches.
- Layer cream on another bread slice and cover the bread with cream and fruits.
- Wrap the sandwich carefully in cling wrap.
- Make all the sandwiches in same way. Arrange fruits as you like.
- You can also roughly arrange fruits or mix fruits in cream and then use as filling in bread.
- Keep sandwiches in refrigerator for at least 2 hrs. It sets the cream and fruits nicely and it is easy to cut without breaking the bread or cream spilling out.
- With a sharp bread knife(serrated knife),cut the sides of sandwich, it gives a neat look on the sides. You can cut the sides, before filling the sandwiches.
- Then cut bread diagonally into half or in four parts or the way you have arranged fruits.
- Refrigerate in an air tight container till the serving time.
Do try these Creamy Fruity Sandwiches. Everyone in the family will just love it. It is perfect with some cold shake like Chocolate Shake or any juice. You can serve these for breakfast, afterschool snack time or small get togethers. Ideal for kids backyard summer parties.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!