Jamun Kala Khatta Popsicles Recipe | How to make Jamun/Java Plum Popsicles | Kala Khatta Chuski Recipe
JAMUN KALA KHATTA POPSICLES are addictive and refreshing popsicles. Spices used along with jamun pulp lend a unique Kala Khatta flavour.
When Jamun or Black Plums are in season enjoy the fruit to it’s fullest by eating it raw, Jamun Panna, Kala Khatta Syrup or these ohh so good POPSICLES!!
What is Jamun
Jamun or Java Plum tree is native to Indian Subcontinent and bears purple colored small fruits. The stone fruit though small in size but is a power house of nutrients with it’s numerous health benefits.
Jamun tree and fruit has so many fun childhood memories. Born in India or nearby countries , and if you are in the age group above above 35-40 yrs then you must be have had fun collecting Jamuns or playing under the tree, climbing on it. Me and my sister, used to have competition whose tongue will get more purple after eating the fruit. The fruit is eaten in small amount 10-12 pieces are enough for one time. The fruit was best enjoyed with Black Salt/Kala Namak.
While I was in Mumbai and the USA I hardly got this stone fruit. In Northern India during summers Jamuns are available in plenty in markets. I am enjoying eating sweet ripe Jamuns. My kids didn’t like this fruit much as according to them it leaves an aftertaste in the mouth. To get the benefits of this seasonal fruit while they are here, I made Kala Khatta Style Jamun drink (Jamun Panna) and these yummy juicy popsicles for them!! which they happily enjoy.
Benefits and uses of Jamun/Java Plum/Black Plum
Each and every part of Jamun tree is useful in one or the other way. The tree also has auspicious significance in Hindu rituals. From fruits to leaves, bark, roots and wood are useful.
Jamun fruit has uncountable health benefits.
- It is a power house of antioxidants, Vit C.
- The leaves are known to be beneficial for gums and teeth and the bark is useful against the worm infestation and gingivitis.
- The powder from seeds and pulp of Jamun is known to treat diabetes and high blood sugar levels since ancient times.
- It increases the hemoglobin count, good for skin, hair and eyes.
Does eating Jamun fruit has any side effect
Apart from it’s several health benefits, one should not eat Jamuns in huge quantities as it can have several side effects.
- Since it lowers the blood sugar level, it should be avoided before or after surgery.
- Pregnant women should not consume it without consulting the doctor.
- If eating jamuns shows an allergic reaction like hives or rashes one should immediately rush to doctor.
- If you are eating this fruit for the first time or using it’s frozen pulp or puree, use it carefully and watch out for any reactions.
Culinary uses of Jamun
Apart from the medicinal uses, Jamun is also used in making many desserts like ice creams, sorbets. Due to the high pectin in the fruit it is good for making Jam and Jelly. You can add it in smoothies, salads.
How to make Jamun/Black Plum Kala Khatta Syrup and Popsicles
To make Jamun Popsicles, we need fresh and juicier jamuns. You can also use frozen jamun pulp/puree.
We first make Kala Khatta Syrup, that you can store for making refreshing drinks or freeze it in popsicle molds.
These popsicles will take you back to the memory lane when as a kid we pestered our parents to buy Kala Khatta Gola from the local cart vendor on hot summer afternoons!!
The main taste of Kala Khatta Jamuns Popsicle shines out with the spices used. To get the tangy, slight sweet taste, we use Black Salt/Himalayan Pink Salt, Roasted Jeera Powder and Chaat Masala along with sugar if required. You can also use Lemon juice or 1-2 tbsp Tamarind pulp to bring out the sharp flavors.
How to make Jamun Pulp/Puree
There are two ways to deseed the fruit and make pulp. You can choose whichever way is convenient. When making a big batch prefer the second one.
Firstly, separate the pulp and seeds, You can use a knife to deseed the fruit. Do not throw way the seeds. Either burry them in your kitchen garden or you can even use it make homemade Jamun Churna. For this you can check online resources on How To make Jamun Seed Powder.
Another way to make the pulp and deseeding the fruit is to boil the whole jamun fruit in water for 4-5 mins with sugar. When the water cools down, mash and take out the pulp with hands and deseed the fruit. Strain the pulp and then blend with spices to fine mix.
If you are making a big batch store the pulp/syrup in an air tight glass bottle. Or, dilute with some water and freeze in popsicle molds.
Freeze overnight or till fully set. When ready to eat, sprinkle some more Chaat masala on popsicles and enjoy.
Checkout some more quintessential summer drinks made with fresh seasonal fruits that are indigenous to Indian Sub Continent. You can also make kid’s friendly popsicles
Jamun Kala Khatta Popsicles
- 150 gm Jamuns/Black Plum
- 1-2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1-2 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Back Salt or as per taste
- 2 tbsp Raw Cane Sugar/Jaggery Powder
- Juice of 1 lemon optional
First Way to Deseed Jamuns
- Deseed Jamun seeds, add in a blender with spices(roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and sugar) , add some water and blend to fine mix.
Second way to Deseed Jamun Pulp
- In a pan add 1 cup water, now boil till jamuns turn mushy and pit separates.
- Now add sugar, spices and mix well.
- Mash the pulp with hands to separate the seeds or use a wooden spoon.
- Then strain the mixture and freeze in popsicle molds.
- You can also store this mix and use for making Kala Khatta drinks.
- Syrup made with boiled jamuns stays good for 15-20 days in refrigerator.
Some more Summer Special drinks/smoothies or juices from the blog to beat the heat
Do try these delicious Jamun Popsicles whenever you get some fresh juicy Jamuns.
Share your feedback whenever you make this. I am sure you and your family will love it as much my family loved it.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!