Nutty Almond and Coconut pair up together in this delicious eggless 'slice and bake cookie' that will take you back to your favorite neighborhood bakery of your childhood. When I was a kid I loved these cookies from the local bakery shop in my hometown. I still go to the local bakery when I visit my hometown. I usually use whole flour for making these cookies. You can use all-purpose flour or a mixture of both. Decrease the amount of milk to be added.
Let's keep the talk short and start on with the recipe.
For these cookies, we need Almonds, Coconut flakes(thin)along with flour(wheat/all-purpose), butter, sugar, vanilla and almond essence. If you don't have almond essence use only vanilla.If using unsalted butter add 1/4 tsp of salt to flour.
Coarsely grind almonds in a chopper or cut roughly with knife. Keep aside almonds and coconut.
In a bowl beat butter, sugar and essence (both) together till light and fluffy. If using unsalted butter add 1/4 tsp of salt to the flour before mixing. You can add a 1-2 tbsp more sugar if you like it sweeter.
Fold in flour, almond and coconut mix. The mixture will be crumbly. Add in some milk to bind the dough. Roll the dough in the form of roulade or jelly roll and cover it in a cling film or parchment paper.
Chill the dough for at least 30 mins. You can also freeze the dough overnight or for 4-5 days. Thaw in a refrigerator before baking.
When ready to bake preheat the oven to 300°F or 160°C. Take out the cookie dough from refrigerator, cut into slices or rounds and bake for 15-20mins in a preheated oven at 350°F or 180°C, till golden brown.Cut the cookie slices not more and not less than 1/2? as thick cookies won't bake properly and thin cookies can burn or get hard. Also, it is very important to chill the dough as it helps in less of spreading of cookies and holds the shape.
Once baked, transfer carefully cookies to wire rack after 2 mins. When cookies cool down completely store in an air-tight container. These remain fresh for 4-5 days.
Almond and Coconut Cookies
Nutty Almond and Coconut pair up together in this delicious eggless cookie that will take you back to your favorite bakery of your childhood.
- Whole Wheat Flour- 120g
- Almond 20g
- Fine Coconut Flakes- 20g
- Castor Sugar- 75g
- Butter- 75g
- Milk- 25g
- Vanilla Essence-1 Tsp
- Almond Essence- 2-3 drops(optional)
- Finely chop almonds in the chopper or by hand using a knife.
- Mix together chopped almonds and coconut flakes.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in flour and mix into butter and sugar to fine crumbs.
- Add milk 1Tbsp at a time and mix very lightly.
- Fold in almond and coconut mix and make a dough.
- Roll into a roulade shape, roll in cling film or parchment paper and chill the dough for a minimum of 30 mins.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Take out the cookie dough from refrigerator, cut into slices or rounds and bake for 15-20mins, till golden brown.
- When cookies cool down completely store in an air-tight container.
- Enjoy fresh Almond Coconut Cookies.
Bake these delicious cookies for your special occasions to serve to your guests or pack in an elegant cookie box and gift to your loved ones. Enjoy these with your hot cup of tea or coffee, pack in your kids' lunch box as these are healthy with whole wheat flour, almonds, coconut and are moderately sweet. Do give me your feedback and post your pic here or my facebook page.. foodtrails25 and give your feedback. If you like my work, follow the blog and share the blog with your loved ones.
More delicious recipes coming up soon. Thanks for stopping by.