Bharwan Karela recipe| Learn how to make stuffed Karela or Bitter Gourd with spicy onion masala
Servings: 3 portions
- 3-4 Karela/Bitter Gourd pieces
- 1-2 Medium sized Onions
- 1-2 Green Chilies(optional) depending on heat tolerance
- 2 tbsp Raw Mango(Grated) when available
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Amchoor/Dry Mango Powder when not using Raw Mango
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- Red Chili Powder as per preference
- 1/2 Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Any plant based oil(like Mustard Oil, Olive Oil)
- Oil for deep frying or shallow frying
- ¼ tsp Asafeotida/Hing optional
Wash Karela nicely and scrape off the skin using a knife/peeler.
Make slits in between lengthwise and take out the seeds from inside.
Rub salt in karela pieces and leave for about 30 mins-1hr
Make Onion Masala
Finely chop onions and green chillies.
In a pan/kadhai heat oil, add asafeotida(if using), cumin seeds.
Once seeds crackle, add onions and fry till light brown in color.
Add powdered spices along with raw mango and salt and mix well.
Fry on low flame for another 1-2 minutes.
Take off the flame and transfer to a bowl.
Filling Masala in Karela
After an hour, squeeze off water from karela pieces. Wash in water if you want. Pat dry on kitchen towel.
Fill in the onion masala and seal the slit with tooth pick or thread(preferably).
Take a heavy bottomed pan or kadhai, heat oil and drop carefully karela pieces.
Fry on low heat till cooked from all sides and light brown.
Once done, take out on a kitchen towel.
Serve with Dal Rice or chapatis/paranthas. Cut in half if pieces are too big.Also remove thread before serving.