Red Kidney Beans cooked in onion tomato masala gravy with Indian spices. Learn how to make Rajma Masala.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Soaking time5 hrs
Total Time40 mins
- 2 Cups Rajma/Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3-4 Nos. Tomatoes
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic
- Ginger small piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1-2 Tbsp Oil use any oil of your choice
- 1-2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Fresh Corinader/Cilantro leaves for garnish
Wash and soak Rajma Beans in water for at least 5-6 hrs or overnight.
After soaking time, drain water from the beans transfer beans to a pressure cooker add 4-5 cups of water, switch on the flame and let the water come to boil, remove the froth that accumulates on the top.
Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, salt, let it boil for 5 minutes , close the lid and cook for 15-20 minutes. on medium and another 10 minutes on low flame.
Once the pressure in the cooker goes down, check whether the beans are cooked or not.cooked bean is soft when pressed between thumb and index finger.
Meanwhile when the beans are cooking, prepare the masala for gravy.
Grind together finely chopped onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies to a fine paste. Puree tomatoes separately
In a non-stick pan, add the 1-2 Tbsp of oil, when oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds, once the leaves crackle add onion paste and cook till it turns light brown and the raw smell of the onions, ginger and garlic goes away.
Add tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, add garam masala, red chilli powder, mix and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Take some cooked beans, add to the masala, mash and mix with it. Add the mashed beans and masala to rest of cooked beans and mix nicely. Adjust the consistency of water as per your requirement. Cook the rajma gravy for another 5-10 minutes so that the masala nicely blends with the beans.
Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves and serve with rice or bread of your choice.
- Rajma gravy thickens after some time, so add water accordingly.
- If you want to add other whole spices like whole black Cardamom, cloves and peppercorns, add with bay leaf and cinnamon stick while cooking beans.
- Taste of the gravy enhances after few hours of cooking as the masala blends with the beans and gravy well. You can cook a day ahead , cool and store in the refrigerator. Reheat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.