Mushrooms and Bell Peppers cooked in spicy onion and tomato masala, goes well with chapatis, naan and even steamed or jeera rice. The dish gets it's characteristic taste with flavourful Kadhai Masala made with coriander seeds and dry red chilli.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 2 Cup Mushrooms(Button) Sliced
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers(Mixed or any color) Cubed
- 2 Onions(Medium Sized)
- 3 Tomatoes(Medium Sized)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1" Ginger piece
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf optional
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(small) optional
- 1/4 tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves/Kasuri Methi
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
Make Kadhai Masala, dry roast coriander seeds and dry red chillies in a pan till it starts giving the aroma. Transfer in a bowl and keep aside to cool.
Grind to fine powder or you can crush finely in mortar pestle.
Finely chop one onion, tomatoes. Cube the other onion and bell peppers.
Slice mushroom, and saute lightly on high heat in a pan, once done, take out from the pan and keep aside to cool. In the same pan some add tsp of oil, add cubed onions, saute for a few seconds then add cubed bell peppers.Saute for few minutes. The veggies should remain crunchy.
Crush ginger and garlic coarsely in a mortar pestle or you can use ginger garlic paste.
In a pan heat oil, when the oil is hot enough add cumin seeds and other whole spices. Add ginger garlic paste, saute till the smell of raw garlic goes away.
Add chopped onions and saute till light pink and add chopped tomatoes, fry till soft, take off the flame, cool a bit and then blend to a fine paste. Remember to take out the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before grinding the masala.
In the same pan transfer the onion tomato paste, add 2-3 tsp of kadhai masala, sugar and mix well.
Cook till the masala is thick and well done. Add cream and mix well.
Dry roast some dry fenugreek leaves on a tawa or girdle, crush and add to the gravy.
Add 1/2 cup of water to adjust the consistency of the curry, if you want semi dry curry. Cook for a minute then add sauteed mushroom, onions and bell peppers . Add salt to taste and mix gently into the onion tomato masala.
Serve hot with chapatis or steamed or jeera rice.
- For Vegan option, replace cream with 1 tbsp of almond meal or 1/4 cup of Almond Milk or cashew paste.
- For cashew paste, soak 3-4 cashew nuts in warm water 10 minutes before making the gravy, blend with onion and tomato paste, while making the masala for gravy.
- Dry Fenugreek leaves/Kasuri Methi is optional, for me it enhances the flavour of the curry when added.
- I use Mustard Oil for making the masala of Indian gravies , use any flavourless oil of your choice.
- For short method of making Kadhai Mushroom, use Bhuna Masala instead of making the masala from scratch to shorten the time of cooking.