Date and Walnut Muffins
Date and Walnut Muffins.. healthy eggless muffins made with whole wheat flour, nuts, dates and coconut sugar.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 and 3/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Dates(Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Cup Milk(Plant/Dairy)
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Oil
For Chia Gel
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Water
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a mixing bowl, add oil and sugar and beat till the sugar mixes.Add vanilla essence and mix.
Add dates, flour and Chia gel. Fold the batter.
Add buttermilk as required. The batter should be lumpy. Add just enough milk to make the batter lumpy. We don't want a ribbon consistency batter( like for cakes).
Fold in walnuts and transfer the batter to muffin tray.
Bake in preheated oven at 375 F or 190C, for 25-30 minutes.
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in one of the muffins.
Once done, take out the muffins from the tray and cool on wire rack.
Store in an airtight container when completely cools down.
- You can bake the batter in a loaf pan(7"X3") or a round cake pan for 40-50 minutes.
- You can also use All Purpose Flour(APF) only or a mix of APF and whole wheat flour.
- When using a100% Wheat flour, the cake texture will be denser than with APF .
- Almond Flour,Coconut Nut flour or any gluten-free flour can also be used if you want to make a gluten-free cake. Adjust the amount of liquid ingredients.The texture of the muffins/loaf will be different(denser and drier), it won't rise much as with Wheat Flour or with APF.
- Brown Sugar can be used in place of coconut sugar.
- Adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste as dates are also sweet(have natural sugar).
- When baking in loaf pan or cake pan, check after 35 minutes, if the cake starts to brown from top, and is uncooked from inside(tooth-pick taste), cover it with aluminium foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.