Gajar Ka Khatta Meetha Achar
Sweet, spicy and tangy Carrot pickle marinated in mustard oil along with aromatic Indian spices and jaggery and vinegar mix. Learn how to make carrot pickle..
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 7-8 Carrots 500 gm
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cracked Mustard Seed(Rai Kuria)
- 1-2 tsp Red Chilli Powder or as required
- 1/4 Cup Jaggery increase if you need sweeter pickle
- 1/4 Cup Vinegar Use any, I used Apple Cider
Wash and peel the carrots. Cut into required size. Refer to the pics.
Boil water in a pan. Ad a tsp of salt to it. Add carrots in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. then drain the water completely. Keep it to dry. the carrots should be completely dry before making pickle.
Peel, wash and dry garlic cloves. Cut the big cloves in half.
Dry roast cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds and crush coarsely with mortar and pestle.
Once the carrots are dry, heat mustard oil in a pan, when the oil heats to smoking point, switch off the gas slightly cool the oil, after 1-2 minutes, add all the spices along with salt and mix well.
Add carrots and garlic and mix well.
In a separate pan, add vinegar, switch on the pan, add jaggery, mix and heat the mix till jaggery dissolves. Take off from the gas/stove once jaggery dissolves. Let it cool .
Once it completely cools down,add to the carrots. Mix well. Transfer the carrots to an airtight glass container and keep it in bright sunlight(preferably) fro 2 days.
After 2 days use as required with your favourite meal.
- Mustard oil is traditionally used to make this pickle. It adds on to a rustic taste. You can use any other oil also of your choice like olive oil.
- Instead of jaggery you can use sugar also.
- If you want you can add cauliflower radish or green chillies to it.