Chickpea and Couscous Soup
A hearty and filling soup made with Chickpeas, Couscous and veggies like carrots and tomato, flavoured with spices to give a comforting meal!! Learn how to make Chickpea and Couscous Soup.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 11/2 Cup Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans 1 Can/15 Oz
- 1/4 Cup Israeli Couscous
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- 1 Carrot(diced)
- 1 Cup Spinach Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2-3 Cups Vegetable Stock or Water
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tsp Olive Oil/any flavourless oil
- 3-4 Peppercorns
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon(Small stick)
Instant Pot Method
Set the Instant Pot on saute mode(high) for 10 mins. When the screen shows hot sign, add oil.
Add crushed ginger and garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
Add finely chopped onions and saute till onions turn light pink.
Add finely chopped tomato, tomato puree, carrots, spices and chickpeas and couscous.
Add water/vegetable stock and salt and mix everything nicely. Add the spinach leaves.
Cancel the saute mode. Put the cover and lock it.
Set the Soup mode on on high for 8 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, release the pressure, open the lid and check the soup.
Mash some chickpeas using a masher or the ladle, add serve hot. A tsp of lemon juice to the soup perks up the flavour!!
Stove-top Pressure Cooker Method
Do all the preparation as per the above steps, when ready to cook heat pressure cooker on medium flame.
Add oil, saute ginger and garlic paste, add onions, once onions turn light pink, add all the ingredients along with the spices and water/vegetable stock , close the lid and cook the soup till 2-3 whistles.
Once the pressure goes down, open the lid, mash chickpeas and adjust the seasoning and water and serve hot.
Remember to take out cinnamon stick before serving.
- Israeli Couscous is made of wheat and semolina , for a gluten-free version use an gluten-free couscous like amaranth couscous.
- Israeli Couscous( also known as Pearl Couscous) if different from Moroccan Couscous which is bigger pearls.
- You can any other vegetables of your choice like zucchini or butternut squash or pumpkin.
- Kale can be used in stead of Spinach.
- I have used whole spices like cloves, cinnamon and peppercorns. There are recipes that suggest using the powdered spices. Use any as available.
- Garnish soup with Parsley it adds a nice flavor to it. I didn't use it as I didn't have it this time.
- I boiled the chickpeas at home. You can use a can chickpeas or soak some chickpeas for 5-6 hrs. Boil in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot for 10-15 minutes and use accordingly.
- I use fresh tomatoes in my recipes, you can use canned tomatoes as per your convenience,
- Time to cook the soup is 8 minutes, it takes 7-8 minutes extra for pressure to build up in Instant pot so the total cook time is 15-20 minutes.