Mix Veg. Curry
Mix Veg. Curry, an easy and flavorful and gluten-free curry with seasonal vegetables like carrots, peas and cauliflower cooked in onion tomato and cashew gravy. A semi-dry dish that can be had as a main dish or a side dish with hot chapatis or naans.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 Cup Cubed Carrots/Gajar
- 1 Cup Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Paneer Cubes/Tofu optional
- 1 Onion(Medium)
- 2-3 Tomatoes(pureed)
- 1-2 tbsp Tomato Sauce optional
- 5-6 Cashew Nuts
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1" Ginger piece
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder(optional) or use as required
- 1 tbsp Kitchen King Masala see notes
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves/Kasuri Methi
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil/Olive Oil or use any of your choice
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh Cilantro/Coriander for garnish
Wash, peel and cube carrots. Wash and cut cauliflower in medium size florets. Soak 4-5 Cashew nuts in warm water. Roughly break the cashews and dry roast the rest in a pan and keep aside to add in curry.
In a pan boil water, and a tsp of salt and add the carrots, cauliflower and peas for 5 minutes.
After 5 mins, drain water and keep the veggies aside.
Make paste of onion, ginger and garlic and green chilli.
Puree tomatoes and cashew nuts.
In a kadhai or thick bottomed pan, add oil. When the oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds and the other whole spices.
Once the seeds crackle, add onion paste and saute till light brown.
Add pureed tomatoes and cashews and sugar. Cook the masala for 2-3 minutes. Add the coriander powder, red chilli powder and cook till the masala leaves oil.
Add and mix 1/2 cup water, then add the veggies and paneer/tofu cubes and mix nicely coating the veggies in masala. Add 2-3 tbsp of water if required.
Cover and cook the vegetable for 4-5 minutes till the veggies cooked. Take care while cooking the veggies as we need to retain the crunchiness of carrots and cauliflower.
Add crushed dry roasted fenugreek leaves mix and garnish with finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with rotis/naans/paranthas.
- Paneer or tofu is optional, you can skip it in the recipe. Kids love it so I add some along with the veggies.
- Those on low calorie diets can substitute cashew nuts with a tbsp of melon seeds or add 1-2 tbsp of cream.
- If you are using tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes add, 3-4 tsp of it.
- I make this dish with carrots, peas, cauliflower. You can use any other veggies of your choice like beans, potatoes or broccoli.
- If using fresh peas boil the peas in hot water for a while or pressure cook. Frozen peas take less time to cook then the fresh peas.
- If you are using Mustard oil for cooking, heat the oil till it's smoking point and then let it cool a bit then add the whole spices to it. This removes the bitterness of the the oil.