#downmemorylane Mix Vegetable Curry
For many of us food creates so many memories. Be any celebration, festival or even a small gathering food is always there and a part of our memories. There are so many times that when you cook something or see a dish served to you or even the name, brightens up your face and takes you back in time!! Not sure it happens with everyone but yes, it happens with me very often!! #downmemorylane is the theme for this Foodie Monday Bloghop. The theme was suggested by me as it was my turn to suggest the theme. We fellow bloggers take turns in deciding the theme for the week.
I have so many memories attached with so many dishes that it was hard for me to decide the dish for the theme. Some dishes like the Dahi Bhalle, Chole Masala, Baigan Bharta, Chocolate Pudding, Rajasthani Pyaaz ki Kachori many more are already on the blog so finally decided upon Mix Vegetable Curry.
The Fondest Memories are made around the dinner table!!
From my parent's side we are a family of big foodies. Any special occasion is celebrated with a special lunch/dinner party.Now they like to dine out also to celebrate. When I was kid New Year Eve dinner was quite exciting for me and my sister. Many times Papa too helped mom in cooking specially on that day. My dad is also wonderful cook and sometimes loves to cook few of his favorite dishes like special Dal tadka, Egg Bhurji(scrambled eggs in onion tomato masala), mix veg pulao and mix veg.or egg curry. Mom would do all the chopping and initial preparations for the curry(main work for the dish done!!?) and dad used to make masala and cook the veggies in a special way. Television for many, was the only source of entertainment and we were allowed to watch few of the programs on holidays or special occasions. I and my sis would watch the T.V programs like The World This Week (Yearly round up) and wait for the special dinner. The menu usually included our favourite Chicken Curry/ Egg Curry, Mix veg/Matar Paneer, Pulao and Naans. Dinner was followed by a small cup of ice-cream or Gajar Halwa and then we all watched the New Year Special program on Doordarshan the only channel for entertainment before the cable T. V invaded the entertainment scene. Such were the days of simple joy and fun.
Mix Vegetable Curry, a gluten-free, cooked in less oil and can be modified to make it suitable for vegans .
This Mix Veg Curry is another one of my favorites from my mom's recipes and till this date I am not able to get the same taste as it used to be in her dish. Maybe it was the fresh winter produce like Red Carrots, Peas and Cauliflower or it was the love that made the dish so yummy!!
The recipe for the curry is a simple one. Mix veggies cooked in onion tomato masala but what makes the dish so flavorful is the use of whole spices like cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf and cinnamon in it. This is semi-dry kind of dish and can be had as a side with any dal or curries like Dal Makhani, Dal Tadka or as main dish with some cucumber or boondi raita.
Let's see how We make this healthy, flavorful and gluten-free Mix-Veg Curry!!
Mix Veg. Curry
- 1 Cup Cubed Carrots/Gajar
- 1 Cup Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Paneer Cubes/Tofu optional
- 1 Onion(Medium)
- 2-3 Tomatoes(pureed)
- 1-2 tbsp Tomato Sauce optional
- 5-6 Cashew Nuts
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1" Ginger piece
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder(optional) or use as required
- 1 tbsp Kitchen King Masala see notes
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves/Kasuri Methi
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil/Olive Oil or use any of your choice
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh Cilantro/Coriander for garnish
- Wash, peel and cube carrots. Wash and cut cauliflower in medium size florets. Soak 4-5 Cashew nuts in warm water. Roughly break the cashews and dry roast the rest in a pan and keep aside to add in curry.
- In a pan boil water, and a tsp of salt and add the carrots, cauliflower and peas for 5 minutes.
- After 5 mins, drain water and keep the veggies aside.
- Make paste of onion, ginger and garlic and green chilli.
- Puree tomatoes and cashew nuts.
- In a kadhai or thick bottomed pan, add oil. When the oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds and the other whole spices.
- Once the seeds crackle, add onion paste and saute till light brown.
- Add pureed tomatoes and cashews and sugar. Cook the masala for 2-3 minutes. Add the coriander powder, red chilli powder and cook till the masala leaves oil.
- Add and mix 1/2 cup water, then add the veggies and paneer/tofu cubes and mix nicely coating the veggies in masala. Add 2-3 tbsp of water if required.
- Cover and cook the vegetable for 4-5 minutes till the veggies cooked. Take care while cooking the veggies as we need to retain the crunchiness of carrots and cauliflower.
- Add crushed dry roasted fenugreek leaves mix and garnish with finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis/naans/paranthas.
- Paneer or tofu is optional, you can skip it in the recipe. Kids love it so I add some along with the veggies.
- Those on low calorie diets can substitute cashew nuts with a tbsp of melon seeds or add 1-2 tbsp of cream.
- If you are using tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes add, 3-4 tsp of it.
- I make this dish with carrots, peas, cauliflower. You can use any other veggies of your choice like beans, potatoes or broccoli.
- If using fresh peas boil the peas in hot water for a while or pressure cook. Frozen peas take less time to cook then the fresh peas.
- If you are using Mustard oil for cooking, heat the oil till it's smoking point and then let it cool a bit then add the whole spices to it. This removes the bitterness of the the oil.
This simple and flavorful curry is perfect for your parties, get-togethers and even lunchboxes. Do make this Mix Vegetable curry, I am sure you will also love the curry as much as we love it. This dish can be used as filling to make Mix Veg.Rolls or wraps or Veg. Tacos(shall update the recipe soon). I made Ajwain Paranthas with Mix Veg. today and packed for Rajeev's lunch.
Linking the dish to my Foodie Monday group, #182downmemorylane. Do check out what other fellow bloggers have brought to the theme from their memory lanes!!
Also, taking this to Hearth and Soul Link Party
Share your feedback whenever you make it. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!