Spicy Potato Puff Pastry or Aloo Puff recipe with spicy Indian style potato and peas filling
Puff pastry in India is a popular snack that is sold in bakeries. The filling varies from simple potato filling to mixed vegetables or non-vegetarian fillings(Chicken and Kheema). In India these are also known as Aloo Puffs or Aloo Patties.(Aloo is Potato in Hindi)
These are served a tea time snack or at parties. School and College Canteens favourite these puffs will take you back to your time!! Guests or relatives were treated with Aloo Patties(Puffs) and Pineapple Pastries or Samosa and Jalebis. It was a must include in our birthday party menu along with mom's home baked cake, Chole Masala, Dahi Vade and other dishes!! As kids we loved these treats and me and my sister still visit the bakery shop in our hometown to relish these.
What we need to make Aloo Puff Pastry
To make these savory pastries, I have used store-bought pastry sheets(frozen). Soon will be coming up with Homemade Cheat Pastry sheets recipe.
Filling is made with potatoes and peas in Indian spices. You can use any other vegetable mix like carrots, peas and beans. Veggies are cooked in Indian spices like coriander powder, garam masala powder/chaat masala depending how one likes the filling.
To use frozen Puff Pastry sheets, thaw sheets as per the instructions on the pack.
To make Potato filling, mash boiled potatoes. In a pan sauté peas with spices(cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder with ginger and green chili), then add mashed potatoes. Mix and cook for 1-2 mins. You can adjust the spice level as required especially when making for kids.
Filling should be completely cooled before using in pastry sheets.
Potato filling can be used in sandwiches, wraps or as a side dish for meals with chapati and any lentil curry.
To make Pastries,cut sheets into desired size. Put filling in center. Now you can cover with another cut out of sheet and seal the sides. Or, fold the sheet with filling in triangle. Do as the way you like to serve.
Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 min at 350°F or 180°C or till pastries puff up and are light brown in color.
Recipe Card for Spicy Potato Puff Pastry
Aloo Puff Pastry
- 1 box Puff Pastry Sheets
- 3 Boiled Potatoes
- ½ Peas(Frozen/Fesh)
- 1 tbsp Ginger and Green Chilli Paste (1small ginger piece+chilli as per spice tolerance)
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Amchoor/Dry Mango Powder optional
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- Thaw Puff Pastry sheets in refrigerator, 5-6 hrs before using. Or check the instructions on the pack.
Make Aloo Filling
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds. Once seeds crackle add ginger-green chili paste
- Add peas and 1-2 tbsp of water. Let peas cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the powdered spices, salt , mix and then add mashed potatoes.
- Let the spices coat potatoes well.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Pre-heat oven as the instructions on the pastry sheet box/pack.
- When ready to make, take out pastry sheets on a silicone mat or clean counter, lightly dusted.
- Cut sheets as per the required size.
- On one portion keep the filling and then cover it with other sheet. Do not overfill the sheets.
- Seal the edges using a fork. You can brush little water on the edges so that the filling doesn't come out.
- Brush the top lightly with oil. You can also fold the single cut square in triangle shape/diagonally.
- To make puff pastry cups, cut sheets into squares. Arrange it on the cavities of cup cake mold.
- Add filling and brush lightly with oil so that filling doesn't dry out.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes at 400°F or 180°C.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or any chutney of your choice.
Make these puffs part of your festive menu and try this spicy potato filling of you haven't yet tried!! Best enjoyed with tomato ketchup but you can always have it with Cilantro and Mint Green Chutney, or any other sauce of your choice like my Roasted Plum and Cranberry Chutney, coming up soon.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button to subscribe to my blog to get notifications on new posts. Also do share the blog info with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!