Rajgira Ladoos Recipe | Amaranth Seeds Energy Balls Recipe | How to make Ramdana Ladoo or Cholai ke Ladoo
Rajgira Ladoo or Amaranth Energy Balls Recipe for fasting days and any time snacking.
GLUTEN-FREE, PROTEIN RICH, VEGAN SNACK with puffed Amaranth seeds. Made with jaggery/raw sugar, tiny seeds and nuts of choice, this crispy snack has a rich rustic taste with a palate pleasing texture.
Amaranth is a Gluten-free grain which is basically a pseudo cereal. Loaded with protein, fiber, antioxidants and the only grain which has Vit.C. There are evidences showing the use of Amaranth since ancient times in India, parts of Argentina and Mexico.
These Super seeds have to cooked/puffed before consuming. Sprouting, boiling and puffing the seeds are the ways in which we can add it to various salads, shakes, soups. Rajgira also known as Cholai, is also used in making ladoos and chikkis/brittles. Flour made from Amaranth is used in making Gluten-free breads which is consumed in India during fasting days.
In my maternal home my mom and grandmom always made RAJGIRA LADOO/CHOLAI LADOO during fasting days. Me and my sister loved these ladoos dipped in warm milk. It used to be a filling and nutritious breakfast or snack, much better than any of the store bought energy bars or bites.
These Amaranth ladoos are the energy bombs loaded with all the health friendly ingredients.
More reasons to make a batch of Amaranth Seeds Energy Balls/Rajgira Ladoos
- these are gluten-free,
- vegan friendly,
- rich in proteins and fibers,
- loaded with antioxidants from flax seeds and chia seeds
- low in bad fats and artificial sugar
- contains raw sugar which is a better choice then any artificial sweetener.
Checkout the detailed post on How to Pop Amaranth Seeds.
Ingredients to make Rajgira Ladoos/Amaranth Energy Balls
The basic ingredients are used to make these protein rich energy bites or Cholai ke Ladoo.
- Puffed Rajgira/Amaranth/Cholai
- Any good raw organic sugar like jaggery, coconut sugar or even raw cane sugar.
- Ghee or Coconut Oil(for vegans)
- Pinch of Salt(optional)-- when added in very minute amount enhances the taste of the desserts.
I also have added handful of crushed almonds, flaxseeds and chia seeds. Nuts and seeds in these ladoos not only gives these bites a nice crunch but also enhances the nutritional value.
I have added whole Chia seeds and Flax seeds , but you can always add in powdered form.
Other nuts like cashew nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts etc. can also be added. Pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds are other nutritional seeds which you can be added to these energy balls. Add dried berries(like cranberries, blueberries or raisins) for a more yumm and healthy version.
How to make Rajgira Ladoo/Amaranth Seeds Energy Balls
To make Rajgira Ladoos we have to puff Amaranth first. Nowadays puffed Amaranth is also available in stores. So if you are too busy to puff Amaranth at home use, store bought puffed amaranth seeds. But, if you have time and live at a place where it is not available then you can puff it at home also. Homemade Puffed Amaranth
Next is to melt whichever sweetener you are using in your recipe and cook it to 1 thread consistency. If jaggery/sugar is not cooked to 1 thread consistency then the ladoos won't bind properly.
If for any reason you are not able to bind these bites properly you can use it as AMARANTH GRANOLA and enjoy it for your breakfast as parfait or in fruit and smoothie bowls.
If you are adding nuts then chop finely or coarsely crush and roast a bit in ghee/oil and then add with puffed amaranth. It gives a nice toasted flavour to the Amaranth energy bites. Chia seeds can be added directly without roasting. You can also add powdered flax seeds, as many people especially kids do not like the texture of flaxseeds when it comes in bites.
Shelf Life and Storing Amaranth Energy Balls
Store Cholai ke Ladoo in an air tight container. There is no need to refrigerate. Stays good for 3-4 weeks. If left open, these lose the crunch and become soggy. You can add the soggy ones in warm milk and have like porridge.
Rajgira Ladoo/Amaranth Seeds Energy Balls
- Heavy Bottomed Kadhai/Pan
- ¾ Cup Amaranth Seeds/Rajgira/Cholai
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery crushed or powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- pinch Salt
- ? Cup Almonds
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds optional
- 2 tbsp Flax Seeds optional
- Heat a heavy bottomed Kahdai/Pan.
- Add 1 tsp of Rajgira/Amaranth seeds and puff it. Repeat the process for the whole batch.
- Keep puffed amaranth aside.
- In the same kadhai or pan, heat ghee on low flame.
- Roast crushed or chopped nuts in ghee, till nuts give a nutty aroma.
- Take out and keep aside.
- Add jaggery powder/crushed jaggery and let it melt. Keep the flame to low.
- Now add 1-2 tbsp water. Melted jaggery with bubble up.
- Keep on stirring it, and cook till one thread consistency.
- Once jaggery syrup is ready, add roasted almonds, puffed rajgira/amaranth, chia and flax seeds if using.
- Mix well and quickly shape in ladoos. The mixture will be warm, so be careful.
- Lightly wet your hands and bind the ladoo tightly.
- Keep it in open for 1-2 hrs then store it in air tight container.
- Eat as and when you like.
Do try these delicious and protein packed Ladoos made with super seeds Amaranth Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds and Almonds in jaggery. These protein rich, iron bites are perfect for your whole family from kids to the seniors in the house. Keep a batch ready for kids hunger pangs or make during fasting festivals like Navaratri/Shivaratri .
Whenever you try these do share your feedback with me and in comments section get in touch if you have any queries.
If you like my work, then add your email id and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping and keep coming back!!