Learn how Pop Amaranth Seeds| Puffed Rajgira Seeds | Popped Chaulai Seeds Recipe
Popped Amaranth Seeds or Rajgira Seeds are a great way to include the Super in your diet. Gluten-free protein rich seeds can be popped just like corn kernels but are far more health friendly than popcorns.
Gaining popularity around the world as one of the SUPER FOOD, these tiny Amaranth seeds are a nutrient bomb!!
In India Amaranth Seeds are also known as Rajgira, Ramdana or Chaulai. Make you Navratri or other fasting delicacies using these tiny seeds/flour.
And if you are avoiding these nutritious seeds in your diet due to the fear of the mess created in your kitchen due to popping or every time you roast it burns, then bookmark this post. Once , you start doing it at home you are never going to buy or look for roasted Amaranth seeds in stores.
Why to add Amaranth Seeds/Chaulai in your diet
- It is Gluten-free
- Protein rich loaded with dietary fibre
- Loaded with vitamins and minerals
- Rich source of iron
- Rich source of antioxidants and micro nutrients
- Can be consumed during fasting days
- Aids in weight loss and lowers the bad cholesterol in blood.
What is Amaranth
Amaranth is pseudo grain just like Quinoa. Though it is gaining popularity these days as Super Food, infact it has been a staple in many cultures since ancient times.
Pseudo grains or cereals are technically grains like wheat and rice but have similar set of nutrients and even far more richer and can be used as a substitute to grains. The cooked Amaranth seeds have nutty flavour and can be used in versatile dishes and cuisines.
Amaranth Seeds are the Gluten-free Pseudo grains and can be used in various cuisines and dishes as substitute to grains. It is protein and fibre rich loaded with antioxidants and micronutrients with many health benefits.
How to use Amaranth/Ramdana/Chaulai
Boiled, sprouted or puffed Amaranth seeds can be used in a versatile ways in cooking. In this post I am covering only HOW TO PUFF AMARANTH SEEDS.
The easiest way is to puff it or pop it(Amaranth Popcorn). You can make in large batches store it in an air-tight container. Stays good for about a month.
There are so many ways in which you can use the puffed seeds in your meals. In Indian Cuisine Amaranth Seeds are used mainly in preparing the food for fasting.
Rajgira Atta or Amaranth Flour used in making Gluten-free flatbreads (Rajgira ke Paratha/Poori). The flour is also added to make yogurt based curry (Vrat ki Kadhi) or desserts (Rajgira Ka Halwa or milk based Pudding).
Chaulai ke Ladoo are consumed in North India during Shivratri fasting. Rajgira Chikki (brittle) with various nuts and seeds is very famous all around the world.
Puffed Rajgira seeds can also be added to salads and soups or can be enjoyed just like that in trail mix with nuts.
How to Puff Amaranth Seeds/Rajgira/Chauli/Ramdana
To puff Amaranth seeds, use a large and deep vessel/kadhai.
Heat it to medium and then add 1-2 tbsp of Amaranth seeds.
Shake the vessel lightly or use a clean cotton kitchen towel/wooden spoon to stir it lightly.
Do it till all the seeds stop popping.
Transfer to a separate bowl and repeat the steps till you are done puffing the required amount of Chaulai.
Tips that will help when making popped Ramdana
Do not leave the vessel unattended and keep on stirring the seeds. The seeds take just a few seconds to puff and can burn if we are not careful.
Take deep vessel as popping seeds do not splatter around much. Avoid frying pan, more mess will be created.
Do not wash the seeds before puffing.
How to pop Amaranth Seeds | Amaranth Seeds Popcorn | Puffed Chaulai Recipe
- Deep Vessel/Kadhai
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon/Spatula
- ½ Cup Amaranth Seeds
- Heat a deep vessel/pan or kadhai on medium heat.
- Check whether the pan is hot enough. Add few drops of water in the pan. It should sizzle and evaporate. Pan is ready to toast amaranth.
- Add a tbsp of amaranth seeds and shake the pan lightly.
- The seeds will pop, keep on stirring with a wooden spoon/spatula.
- Once popping stops transfer the popped/puffed seeds to a separate dish/container and let it cool completely.
- Repeat the popping steps for another batch.
- Do not leave the vessel unattended and keep on stirring the seeds. The seeds take just a few seconds to puff and can burn if we are not careful.
- Take deep vessel as popping seeds do not splatter around much. Avoid frying pan, more mess will be created.
- Do not wash the seeds before puffing.
Do try make popped Amaranth seeds at home, it is a much better option then the store bought packs. Use in your daily meals and snacks. I will soon update few recipes using the popped Amaranth seeds.
If you like my work, then add your email id and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping and keep coming back!!