Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce Recipe | How to make Chinese Style Vegetables in Restaurant Style Hot Garlic Sauce | Mixed Vegetables with Hot Garlic Sauce
Nothing can be more comforting than pipping hot bowl of vegetables made in HOT GARLIC SUACE. Here I bring you the recipe for your most favorite Chinse takeout.. VEGETABLES IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE.
Looking for something delicious, spicy loaded with lots of flavour!! Try this RESTURANT STYLE or your favourite TAKE OUT STYLE , MIXED VEGETABLES IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE. Something so easy, yet so exotic to put together when guests are coming over or you are in a mood for celebrations!!
It's perfect for weekend meals, pair it with MIXED VEGETABLE FRIED RICE or simply with STEAMED RICE or a bowl of GARLIC and SPRING ONION NOODLES for a more garlicky kick!! OR, have it just like that like a stew or soup!!
The herbs, vegetables and sauces used in this lip-smacking delicious gravy not only soothes your taste buds but also works if you are have weather related cold and cough.
Ingredients for Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce
The best to make this spicy hot curry is that you can customize it as per your taste and the availability of vegetables.
The heat in the vegetable curry comes from the chili flakes and red chilli sauce or siracha. Add tangy taste with vinegar( I use apple cider). Many add tomato ketchup also, but I prefer to add brown sugar for the hint of sweet taste.
Veggies- Use any fresh and seasonal veggies which are availabe at your place.
Bell Peppers(any color) or colored Capsicums (as known in India) are a must in any Chinese recipe. These add crunch and a lot of peppery flavor.
Bak Choy- I got a bunch of Bak Choy from the vegetable vendor. Skip if it is not availabe.
Carrots- I have added Delhi Red Carrot which is a seasonal carrot variety availabe in North India during winter season. You can use Orange carrots.
Mushrooms-I love to add mushrooms(button mushroom) in most of Indo-Chinese dishes. This edible fungi also adds a meaty texture to any veggie based curry. You can add any other variety of mushroom whichever you prefer. Re-hydrate the dried mushrooms before adding to the sauce.
Broccoli Florets and Baby Corn are the another favourite veggies that I love to use. Add so much crunch and flavor along with nutrition to the curry.
Herbs- Spring Onions(both bulb and stalk), Garlic Cloves, Ginger.
I also added Fresh Green Garlic as it is locally availabe in winters and adds a nice fresh garlic taste to curries. No worries if you do not have it.
You can also add Zucchini, Sweet peas, Cauliflower, Cabbage(purple/green), Eggplant/Aubergine, Bamboo Shoots, Napa Cabbage are a few to name here.
Moong Sprouts, Tofu and Paneer can also be added in the recipe to add the protein to the curry.
Do not sauté veggies for long. It will become soggy and loose the crunch.
More recipes from the blog from the blog that you can make with mixed veggies..
Sauces- Checkout the recipe card to detailed list.
Sesame Oil adds a nice nutty flavour, but if you do not have it , use any other good plant based oil.
Those with gluten allergies can use gluten-free Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce.
Also, I have added arrowroot for the thickening the sauce. It is gluten -free and can be easily used by everyone. You can also add cornstarch/cornflour(as known in India).Steps to prepare Vegetables in Garlic Sauce
Chop Ginger and Garlic very finely. You can use a chopper for that. Please check the link below if you don't have one. These kind of mini choppers are very handy to when we need to finely chop veggies or herbs.
Can I make ahead of parties and store the Vegetables in Garlic Sauce
It is best enjoyed when served pipping hot freshly made. But you can also, refrigerate it once it cools down completely. Best is 1 day. I haven't stored it for longer period so can't comment.
For parties, you can prepare all the veggies a day ahead, and make the sauce, add veggies a few hours before serving. Veggies in cooked gravy loose a bit of crunch and shine. so I prefer to make it on the same day when guests are coming over. Reheat it and then serve.
The sauce thickens on cooling. Reheat on ow to medium flame and adjust the consistency of sauce as required.
Add salt very carefully as the sauces used (soy and red chilli sauce/siracha) are salted.
Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce
- 3-4 Cups Mixed Veggies (Bell Peppers, Baby Corn, Mushrooms, Carrots, Bak Choy)
- 1-2 Spring Onion Stalks with bulbs
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1" Fresh Ginger piece(finely chopped)
- 1 medium Red Onion(finely chopped)
- 1-2 Fresh Garlic stalks optional
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil or whichever you prefer
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot/ Cornstarch
- 2-3 tsp Siracha or Red Chilli Sauce or as preferred
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tsp Vinegar optional
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder or as required
- 1-2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- Salt as required
- 3-4 cups Water or Vegetable Broth
- Wash nicely and prepare your veggies.
- If adding Bok Choy, separate bok choy leaves and whole like I did or chop it roughly.
- Finely chop garlic and ginger, onion, spring onion and fresh garlic bulbs.
- Finely chop Spring Onion and fresh garlic stalks.
- Keep all your sauces handy when you start cooking the curry.
- Make arrowroot slurry after adding veggies as it gets thick if you make it earlier. Add arrowroot in ¼ cup water. Add 1-2 tsp more arrowroot for a thicker sauce.
- In a work/pan, add oil, once it is hot add finely chopped garlic ginger. Saute for a few seconds and then add chopped spring onion bulbs and onions. Add fresh garlic also, if using in the recipe.
- Sauté onions for a 1-2 mins. Do not make it brown.
- Now add veggies one by one. Add mushrooms first and cook for a few seconds before adding other veggies.
- Sauté veggies just 1-2 mins. if you want nice crunch. If we sauté the veggies more it turns soggy and spoils the texture of the dish.
- Add red chilli flakes, black pepper powder, sauces one by one and lightly mix , coating the veggies.
- Now add water/vegetable broth. When it starts to boil add arrowroot/cornstarch slurry and quickly mix it, else the sauce will get lumps in it.
- Adjust the quantity of water in sauce as required.
- Let it boil for 1-2 mins. or till the sauce gets a nice glossy shine. Keep lightly stirring in between. Then switch off the gas.
- If serving immediately, garnish with spring onions and fresh garlic greens. Else, add garnish just before serving.
Shop your ingredients here--
Do try this delicious spicy Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce. It makes a perfect main course meal for your weekends, parties. A good way to empty the refrigerator (leftover vegetables). It is an excellent way to have leftover rice, if you do not want to make any type of fried rice.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google serches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!