Authentic Langar wali Dal Recipe(Stove-top and Instant Pot) | Rich and creamy Amritsari Dal Recipe (Instant Pot Method included)
Langar wali Dal or the famous Amritsari Dal recipe from Punjabi Cuisine, is a rich and creamy Dal served in Gurudwaras or langars/community kitchens. It is a delicious, soulful and comforting dal that goes so well with plain rotis/chapatis, tandoori roti or rice. It is served in Gurudwaras so it is also known as Gurdwara wali Dal.
Stepwise Video instructions included in recipe card
Make this delicious rustic Dal served in the community kitchens in the convenience of your home.
You can cook this Gurudwara Dal in your Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker. Check out the recipe card for details.
What is Amritsari Dal/Langar wali Dal
What are Langars
Langars are the community kitchens of Gurudwaras (religious place of worship for Sikh community). In Gurudwaras free food is served to people irrespective of their religion. In pre-Independence era and in many villages in Punjab, people cooked together in community kitchens. The food was made on clay ovens/tandoors. Dals were slow cooked on tandoors and in large quantities.
Langar wali dal is made with mixed lentils Whole Split Black Lentils(Sabut Urad) and Split Gram Lentils(Chana Dal). Since the Dal is very popular in and around Amritsar city and is served in the Golden Temple langars it is also commonly known as Amritsari Dal.
Since Urad Dal is produced in abundance in Punjab it is a common dal cooked for daily meals. Chana Dal makes the dal creamy. The dal is cooked in simple onion tomato masala and usually no cream is added. Nowadays many people have started adding dairy cream or cashews but in traditonal langar preparations there is no cream is added.
Different variations of Langar wali Dal
There are different variations of Amritsari Dal or Punjabi Langar wali Dal.
Many people add Rajma(red kidney beans) along with the lentils. You can checkout the recipe for Dhaba Style Mah Di Dal/Kali Dal.
Another version is homestyle Mah Chane Di Dal with Chana Dal, Split Black Lentils(Chilka Urad) and Red Lentils.
Many people call Langar wali Dal also as Maah Choliya Di Dal. Maah is Urad dal in Punjabi and Choliya is Chana dal.
Difference between Dal Makhani and Langar wali Dal
Dal Makhani is another delicious dal, with Whole Urad, but it is very different from the above versions and Langar wali Dal. In Dal Makhani we use, Whole Urad, Rajma and it is more cream and tomato based. It is a very popular item served in all Indian restaurants and dine-ins and roadside eateries/dhaba.
Ingredients to make Langar wali Dal
Mixed Lentils- Sabut Urad Dal (Whole Black Lentils), Chana Dal(Split Chickpeas Lentils).
To boil Dal- Turmeric Powder, Salt and Whole Spices(Cinnamon stick/Dal Chini, Bay leaf/Tej Patta, Cloves/Laung and Black pepper(Kali Mirch). Spices add so much flavour . We do not add much spices in dal.
For Dal Tadka or Onion Tomato Masala- Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chillies, Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Cumin Seeds.
Ghee- Langar/gurudwara use Desi ghee to prepare this dal. Ghee adds to the flavour and a rustic taste to dal. For those who have any dietary restrictions and Vegans can add any good plant based oil.
How to make Langar wali Dal(Stove-top Pressure Cooker)
In traditonal community kitchens and langars the dal is slow cooked on tandoors. But in our homes we cook pressure cook the dal and prepare the onion tomato masala. Cook dal for another 15-20 mins on slow flame. This lends rich and creamy texture to dal.
To prepare dal firstly pressure cook dal with spices and some ginger and garlic.
Make onion tomato masala, add to dal and cook dal for another 10-15 mins.
How to make Langarwali Dal in Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker
With convenience of Instant Pot or Electric Pressure cookers, cooking is made so easy. Now, you can cook this traditonal dal in Instant Pot or any of your electric pressure cooker. With IP or electric pressure cookers it is a one pot affair and you do not have to take extra pan for making onion tomato masala.
To make Dal Amritsari in Instant Pot or any of your electric pressure cookers, first prepare onion tomato masala on SAUTE MODE and then add the soaked dals. Add water and then pressure cook it on PRESSURE COOK OR BEAN MODE for 30 mins.
After 30 mins. wait for the natural pressure release, open the lid and check the dal. Adjust the consistency and serve with bread of your choice or rice.
Checkout the details in the recipe card.
You can add ghee and lal mirch/red chilli powder, tadka before serving the dal. It makes it more flavorful and lends a smoky taste to this dal.
Serve piping hot dal with your favorite bread/roti and rice.
Shelf-life and Storage
Stays good for 2-3 days in refrigerator, in an air tight container. This dal tastes more delicious a day after it is made.
Heat dal in microwave or stovetop, add ghee or butter while reheating. If dal is too thick then add about 1/4 cup water, also adjust the salt as required.
Can we freeze Dal Amritsari
You can use the frozen dal for about a month. Thaw in refrigerator for a couple of hours before reheating. Do not re-freeze the reheated dal.
You can freeze dal in small portions also and use as required.
More dal Recipes from the blog
Recipe Card for Langar Wali Dal/ Amritsari Dal(Stove Top + Instant Pot)
Langar wali Dal/Amritsari Dal (Stove-top+ Instant Pot)
- Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 cup Sabut Urad/Whole Black Lentils
- ½ cup Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas Lentils
- 2 Onions chopped(about 1 cup)
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 7-8 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- small Ginger piece finely chopped(about 1 tbsp)
- 1-2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 Bay Leaf /Tej Patta
- 1 Cinnamon Stick /Dal Chini
- 5-6 Cloves /Laung
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns /Kali Mirch
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch /Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee or Oil
- Wash nicely and soak dals for about 30 mins.1 cup Sabut Urad/Whole Black Lentils, ½ cup Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas Lentils
- Finely chop onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and green chillies.
- When ready to cook in a pressure cooker, add the dals(drain water in which dals were soaked), add about 3 cups water, turmeric powder, salt and whole spices.1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon Stick, 5-6 Cloves, 5-6 Black Peppercorns, 1 Black Cardamom, ½ tsp Turmeric Powder, Salt to taste
- Also, add 1tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp desi ghee. Close the lid and dal boil dal. After 2 whistles lower the flame and then boil for about 15 mins.7-8 Garlic Cloves, small Ginger piece
- While dal is boiling prepare onion tomato masala or tadka for dal.
- In a pan heat rest of the ghee/oil. Add cumin seeds.2 tbsp Desi Ghee, 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- When seeds crackle, add rest if the garlic, ginger and green chillies.small Ginger piece, 1-2 Green Chilies, 7-8 Garlic Cloves
- Sauté on medium flame till the raw smell of garlic goes away and starts turning light golden brown.
- Now add onions and sauté till onion are light golden brown.2 Onions
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns soft and mushy.2 medium Tomatoes
- Add spices(red chili powder, garam masala) and cook for another 1 min. till tomatoes start leaving ghee,1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- Add boiled dal mix nicely and mash a little with the ladle.
- Adjust water, cover and cook dal for another 10-15 mins in low flame. Keep stirring in between.
- Slow cooking makes the dal creamy and dal absorbs more flavours from the spices and herbs.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.Chopped coriander
How to make Langar wali Dal in Instant Pot
- Wash and soak dal for about 30 mins.1 cup Sabut Urad/Whole Black Lentils, ½ cup Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas Lentils
- Switch on your IP on SAUTE mode for 10 mins., at HIGH.
- Add desi ghee, add all the whole spice and then cumin seeds.1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon Stick, 5-6 Cloves, 1 Black Cardamom, 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- When seeds crackle add garlic, ginger and green chillies and cook till garlic starts turning light bowrn.7-8 Garlic Cloves, small Ginger piece, 1-2 Green Chilies
- Now add onions and sauté till it turns light golden brown in color.2 Onions
- Add tomatoes and cook these turn light and mushy.2 medium Tomatoes
- Take care the masala do not stick or burn at the bottom of inner pot. Keep scraping the masala if it is sticking.
- Add spices and cook for another few seconds.½ tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- Add soaked dals. Drain the water in which dals were soaked before adding. Also, add salt and 3 cups water.1 cup Sabut Urad/Whole Black Lentils, ½ cup Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas Lentils, Salt to taste
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode and then close the lid.
- Set the PRESSURE COOKER MODE ON, set the timer for 20 mins. and cook.
- When the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and check the dal. Mash it with the ladle, adjust the consistency, add water if required and cook dal for about 5 mins. on SAUTE Mode(if you have added water).
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.Chopped coriander
Optional Tadka before serving
- You can also add tadka before serving. For that heat 2 tbsp ghee/oil in a pan. Add ½ cumin seeds. When seeds crackle add red chili powder and then add the tadka to dal.
- Cover the dal for a min. .
- Serve hot with your favorite bread or rice.
Do try this traditonal dal. It tastes just like the soulful dal you had tasted in Langars or Gurdwara Kitchens.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!