Whole Masoor Dal (Brown Lentils) is flavorful and simple protein rich Dal which is GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN, ideal meal option under 30 mins, cooked in Instant Pot.
Brown Lentils is one of the most easiest and flavorful recipe that you can make on Stove -top or Instant Pot.
Sabut Masoor Dal as it is popularly known in India, is one of our family favorite. My kids love to have it with steamed rice. I usually make it for lunch but you can also have it for dinner.
- Whole Masoor Dal
- Can I make Sabut Masoor in Indian Pressure Cooker
- Can I make these Lentils in Open Pot
- Ingredients to make Creamy Whole Masoor Dal
- Dal to Water Ratio
- How to Cook Whole Masoor Dal /Brown Lentils in Instant Pot
- Serving Suggestions
- Flavour Variations for Whole Masoor
- How long can we store cooked Lentils
- Recipe Card for Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentils(Instant Pot)
- Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentils (Instant Pot Recipe)
Whole Masoor Dal
Whole Masoor dal or Whole Brown lentils are also known as Kadhi Masoor or Sabut Masoor. It is Red Lentils(Masoor Dal/Malka Masoor) without skin. Red Lentils are orange in color and turn yellow after cooking. They are also available as whole lentils or split lentils. Whereas the Brown Lentils as the name suggests, are brown in color, with skin and remain brown only after cooking.
Whole Masoor Dal gsst creamy and thick after cooking and as such there is no need to add milk or cream for the richness. You can make this dal with your everyday pantry ingredients and don't need any special masala/spices or longer cooking time.
Traditionally we make it in our Indian style pressure cooker, where we boil the dal separately with salt and water and then temper it with onion and tomato tadka. Now with Instant Pot it is a whole more easier to cook this dal that too in on pot. No need to make the tadka separately.
Benefits of Lentils
Lentils are a great source of plant based protein for vegetarians and vegans. These are also rich in Vit. B group, potassium, magnesium, zinc and iron.
These also contain antioxidants and compounds that inhibit the growth of cancer promoting cells.
Reasons to try this Instant Pot Whole Masoor Lentils or Brown Lentils recipe
It is a ONE POT and UNDER 30 mins. recipe.
It is VEGAN and GLUTEN-FREE and so good for those on KETO DIET.
Uses MINIMUM NO. OF SPICES and basic pantry ingredients like tomato, onion.
No cream or milk or nuts are required to make it rich and creamy.
The leftovers taste even better the next day.
Add veggies like sweet potatoes, zucchini or carrots and make it's soup variation for a cold and chilly evening.
Pairs up so well with rice, quinoa or any kind of bread for a perfect filling meal.
Advantages of Cooking in Instant Pot
Instant Pot is a wonderful kitchen gadget which is of great use when it comes to fuss-free one pot cooking.
I love using my Instant Pot Ultra for making dal, soups, pasta, rice/pilaf, proofing pizza dough and many more ways..
Do you know you can ferment your Dosa/Idli batter in Instant Pot and also use it to make rich and creamy Yogurt
Usually stove top cooking we need to keep a check on the no. of whistles. While cooking in IP simply set the timer and do your other work.
Then there is no spilling of dal water on counter, which is a common problem with pressure cooker.
We can cook two things together in with Pot in Pot(PIP) method, using stackable container for Instant pot. Will cover the PIP method of how I make Dal and Rice or Dal and subzi for the meal together.
Instant Pot Recipes from the blog that I love to make
and for many more Instant Pot recipes .. CLICK HERE
Can I make Sabut Masoor in Indian Pressure Cooker
Yes, absolutely. Majority of Indian population cooks this way. My mom still cooks dal this way. Check the recipe card for detailed steps.
Checkout more dal recipes from the blog cooked in Indian Pressure cooker
Can I make these Lentils in Open Pot
Yes, we can make these in open pot. Choose a heavy Pot. While cooking in open pot on stovetop the cooking increases. It takes about 30 mins to cook lentils.
Also, soak the dal for a minimum 30 mins. prior to cooking. Prepare the onion tomato masala as given in recipe card under HOW TO COOK LENTILS IN INDIAN PRESSURE COOKER. Mix the masala nicely and then again cook for another 5-10 mins.
Ingredients to make Creamy Whole Masoor Dal
Whole Masoor/Brown Lentils- For the family of four I use 1 Cup Masoor Dal which we relish with steamed rice. As per your family size and portions required you can make more or lessen the lentil amount.
I soak the dal for about 10 mins. prior to cooking, this is quickens the cooking time. But you can always cook the dal without soaking also. Wash nicely 2-3 times in running clean water. Discard the water in which the dal is soaked.
Onions-I use red onions in my cooking. Keep the finely chopped onions ready before starting your cooking.
Tomatoes- Use Ripe, juicy and red tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are prefect for the recipe(for US and other countries readers). For those in India ,Desi Tomatoes or Country tomatoes or Hybrid tomatoes are good to use.
Herbs- Finely chopped Ginger, Garlic , Green Chilli(optional), Fresh Coriander/Cilantro(for garnish).
Spices- Cumin Seeds, Red chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Salt and Oil.
I prefer making the masala/tempering with Desi Ghee , for the convenience of my readers I have used Oil. You can use Desi Ghee instead of oil if there are non-vegan or don't have any high cholesterol issues.
Dal to Water Ratio
For 1 cup Dal I add 2.5-3 cups water depending on the quality of dal. This is perfect to make creamy dal which we enjoy with steamed rice.
For a more thicker version like for thick soups or casseroles you can lessen the amount of water used and use around 1.5-2 cups water.
How to cook dal to add in salads and tacos or for adding cutlets, will cover this another post.
How to Cook Whole Masoor Dal /Brown Lentils in Instant Pot
I have Instant Pot Ultra but you can also make it in which model of IP you have.
Instant Pot Sabot Masoor Dal is a very simple recipe.
Wash the dal nicely 2-3 times and soak in enough water for about 10 mins. You can cook dal directly also.
Before starting to cook, keep your ingredients ready just before starting. Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, ginger garlic and green chilli(if using).
Switch on the IP and set the SAUTE MODE on for 10 mins.
When the display shows HOT then add oil, add cumin seeds, when seeds crackle add finely ginger and garlic and sauté for 1-2 mins. or till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Instead you can use store bought ginger garlic paste also.
Next add chopped green chillies, onions and sauté till light brown.
Then add finely chopped tomatoes or you can use tomato sauce too(3 tbsp).
Cook till tomatoes are soft and mushy. Then add red chilli powder, garam masala and cook for another 2 mins.
Now drain the water from dal in which it was soaked. Add to the masala, also add water and salt. Give it a nicely mix.
Cancel the SAUTE mode and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode on HIGH for 15 mins.
Start and cook till the timer is off. Then wait for the Pressure release, do not do the Quick Pressure release.
Check the dal for consistency. Add chopped coriander/cilantro, and serve hot with steamed rice or chapatis and any subzi.
I love to drizzle some more ghee before serving. It enhances the taste of dal so much and takes it to another level, adding the aroma and making it so much delicious!!
Brown Lentils when served with Chapatis and a dry curry make a satiating and filling meal.
Dry Indian curries or subzi that go well with sabut masoor
Flavour Variations for Whole Masoor
It is a rich and creamy dal which requires no nuts or cream for creaminess. But you can always add some cream or coconut cream for extra creaminess.
Season the cooked dal before serving with brown onions(birista) and kasuri methi. adds a royal rustic touch.
Add vegetables while pressure cooking it and season it with Mexican or Cajun seasoning. Serve it with salad or toasted bread.
How long can we store cooked Lentils
Cooked Lentils stay good for 2-3 days when refrigerated. I haven't freeze the dal but my friends tell me that it stays good for a month when stored in freezer. Divide into potions, pack in freezer friendly boxes. Thaw whenever required.
Whole lentils are one of the best lentils to include in week meal planning. You can cook a big batch and store it based on your requirement.
Recipe Card for Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentils(Instant Pot)
Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentils (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot
- Choping board
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- 1 Cup Whole Masoor/Brown Lentils Sabut Masoor
- 2 Onions(Medium)
- 3 Tomatoes(Medium) or 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2" Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder or use as required
- 1-1½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- Salt as per taste
- 2.5-3 Cups Water
- Wash the lentils 2-3 times in water.
- Soak in enough water for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, finely chop ginger, garlic, green chillies, onions and tomato. You can also use 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste and 2 -3 tbsp tomato sauce.
Whole Masoor Lentils in Instant Pot
- Switch on the IP. Set on the SAUTE MODE for 20 mins. When the indicator shows HOT, add oil/ghee and then add cumin seeds.
- When seeds crackle, add chopped ginger and garlic and sauté for 1-2 mins or till the raw smell of garlic goes.
- Add chopped onions and sauté till onions are light pink.
- Now add chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Now add the spices(red chilli powder, garam masala powder) and mix well.
- Drain water form the lentils and add to the onion tomato masala.
- Add salt and 2.5-3 cups water.
- Cancel the SAUTE MODE, seal the lid and switch on the PRESSURE COOK MODE(HIGH). Set the timer for 15 mins.
- Once the timer is off, let the pressure settle down on it own, Do not do the QPR.
- Open the lid and check the dal for consistency.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot topped with more ghee with rice or chapatis and subzi.
To cook in Indian Pressure Cooker
- Transfer washed and soaked dal in pressure cooker. Add salt and 2.5-3 cups water. Put and seal the lid.
- Cook for 3-4 whistles on medium flame.
- Prepare tadka in a pan.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once seeds crackle, add ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Once the raw smell of garlic goes, add onions and sauté till light pink.
- Now add tomatoes and cook till soft and mushy.
- Now add the spices(red chilli powder, garam masala powder) and mix well.
- Cover and cook masala for 2-3 mins. on low flame.
- When the pressure from the cooker is released, check dal for consistency.
- Add masala and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency of required. Add 1/2 cup water if dal is thick or cook for 2-3 mins if it is watery.
Do try this creamy Vegan and Gluten-free Lentil recipe. Ideal for lunch or dinner and you can also pack it conveniently in lunch boxes. I am sur your and your family will surely love it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!