Make Restaurant Style Vegan Thai Green Curry at home with your favorite vegetables, fresh herbs and coconut milk. You won't believe that making Thai Green curry at home can be so easy and fuss free. This curry with complex flavours is a favorite among the vegetarians and vegans too.
A under 30 mins. recipe which is customizable, you can make it Gluten-free, Vegan and adjust the heat as per your liking.
About the Recipe
Thai Green curry is one of the most popular curry from Thai cuisine. The curry has a green color and hence the name. It is a mix of mildly spicy, tangy, savoury and umami flavours that tantalizes your taste buds.
Served with commonly with rice, you can have it like a soup too if your are off grains. A comforting bowl of health friendly ingredients perfect for a quick meal (lunch/dinner) and great to serve at your parties too!!
What is Thai Green Curry
It is one of the variation of the popular Thai curries (Red Thai Curry, Yellow Curry, Massaman Thai Curry, Green Thai Curry and any more..).
The green color of the curry comes with he Thai Green curry paste which is prepared with fresh coriander leaves + stem, green chillies, makrut lime leaves and basil leaves.
It's a wholesome meal in a bowl with all the nutrient groups . Vegetables, protein(tofu, paneer, meat of your choice, coconut milk and fresh herbs make it a filling nutrients meal with rice or noodles.
What we need to make Thai Green Curry
Thai Green Curry Paste- You can use store bought or home green curry paste. Using store bought paste cuts down the extra cooking time but trust me, nothing beats the taste of fresh curry paste. You can make the paste freeze it for a couple of weeks.
Check my detailed recipe for Thai Green Curry paste (will post soon). In this post also I have added the ingredients and method in the recipe card.
Coconut Milk- Again use a canned pack or make fresh coconut milk at home. I usually buy the store bought coconut milk, though again making it at home is a much healthier choice. But, one should have sufficient time for that!
Vegetables- Use seasonal and local vegetables. In the recipe I have used baby corn, broccoli, red bell pepper, pumpkin. I also like to add zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, other colored bell peppers, butternut squash, snap peas whichever is easily available.
Herbs- Fresh Basil leaves, Makrut Lime leaves for garnish, lemon juice and lemon zest when makrut leaves are not available.
Spices and Condiments- Soy Sauce/Tamari sauce for gluten-free curry, Salt as per taste, Sugar (coconut/jaggery or any raw sugar) optional to balance the taste, Oil (coconut oil or any other plant oil).
For my readers from Bharat/India, all the ingredients like Thai Green Curry paste are easily available at the vegetable markets or online.
How to make Thai Green Curry
Making Thai green curry is very easy and quick if your have Thai Green curry paste in hand.
Prepare curry paste or use prepared/store bought paste. I have given the detailed steps with ingredients in recipe card.
Prepare your vegetables. Cooking vegetables in curry may effect the color and texture of curry and vegetables. So, I steam vegetables like broccoli, baby corn separately. You can roast pumpkin, butternut squash, aubergine/eggplant in air fryer, oven or in pan. Saute Mushrooms before adding to curry.
Heat oil in a pan. Add pumpkin and bell pepper and saute for 1-2 mins. Cover and cook for another 1 min. so that pumpkin is soft.
Next add broccoli and baby corn or any other veggies that you are using. Add tofu and lightly saute the vegetables for 2-3 mins.
Now take out the vegetables in a separate plate and add curry paste which 2 tbsp of veg. stock or water. Add coconut milk, mix and cook till it boils.
Then add soy sauce, sugar mix and add the sautéed vegetables and tofu. Add salt and cook curry for few minutes.
Add 3-4 makrut lime leaves, fresh basil and lemon juice. Mix well, switch off the gas and keep the curry covered for a couple of mins. or till the time of serving.
Note: If you make curry a couple of hrs before serving and let the flavours infuse. Many recipes suggest making it a day ahead. Add more fresh basil when you serve.
Traditionally and in restaurants Thai Curry is served with with Jasmine steamed rice. But you can also serve it with fried rice, noodles of your choice. We prefer Basmati rice and that's the only rice we eat so I serve it with Steamed Basmati rice.
You can also serve it with cooked Quinoa, Zoodles.
Can I freeze Thai curry
You can make Thai Green curry for weekday meal preps and store in small good quality freezer bags or containers as per the portion required for a day. Thaw and reheat in microwave or in pan(stovetop). Add some water/veg. stock of the curry thickens.
Can I make the curry ahead of time
To make ahead a party you can prepare the curry paste, chop/steam/roast the vegetables, refrigerate in an air tight container and assemble on the day of serving. But make it a couple of hrs as mentioned above for flavours to infuse. You can also make the curry a day before and add freshly cooked vegetables on the day of serving.
Easy to make Thai Recipes from my blog
Vegan Thai Green Curry
- Pan for curry
- Pan to steam vegetables
- Knife to chop Vegetables
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Thai Green curry Paste
- Handful Fresh Cilantro Leaves with steams
- Handful Basil Leaves
- 1 small Onion or 2-3 shallots
- 1" Galangal/Ginger
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 stalk Lemongrass
- 2-3 Green chillies see notes
- 2-3 Thai Red Chillies see notes
- 5-6 Makrut Lime Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 6-7 Black peppercorns or White pepper corns
- ¼ tsp Salt or as per taste
Thai Green Curry
- ¼ cup Thai Green Curry Paste
- 200 ml Coconut Milk
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- ½ cup Broccoli Florets
- ½ cup Baby Corn
- ½ cup Cubed Pumpkin/Squash
- ½ cup Tofu (cubed)
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce or Gluten-free Tamari Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar coconut/jaggery/raw cane sugar
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh Basil handful
- Makrut Lime Leaves 4-5 or more
- Lime Juice from half lime
- Veg stock/water as required
Make Thai Green Curry Paste
- Dry roasted cumin seeds and coriander seeds till it gives roasted aroma.1 tbsp Coriander Seeds, 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Keep aside to cool.
- In a blender/grinder add all the ingredients. Traditionally the paste is made using mortar pestle, you can use either whichever is convenient for you.Handful Fresh Cilantro Leaves with steams, Handful Basil Leaves, 1 small Onion, 1" Galangal/Ginger, 5-6 Garlic Cloves, 1 stalk Lemongrass, 2-3 Green chillies, 2-3 Thai Red Chillies, 5-6 Makrut Lime Leaves, 6-7 Black peppercorns or White pepper corns, ¼ tsp Salt or as per taste
- Add about 2-3 tbsp water and grind to fine paste. Add more water (1-2 tbsp) if required.
- Take out and store in a bowl/jar with lid.
Make Thai Green Curry
- Heat 3-4 cups water in a pan, add broccoli florets, baby corn, keep for about 3-4 minutes and then drain away the water.½ cup Broccoli Florets, ½ cup Baby Corn
- In a pan heat oil, add pumpkin/squash and red bell pepper and saute for about 203 mins.½ Red Bell Pepper, ½ cup Cubed Pumpkin/Squash, 2 tbsp Oil
- Add tofu cubes and saute for another min.½ cup Tofu (cubed)
- Now add steamed broccoli, baby corn and saute for few seconds.½ cup Baby Corn, ½ cup Broccoli Florets
- Take out the sautéed vegetables and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp veg. stock/water and add green curry paste. Cook it for few seconds.¼ cup Thai Green Curry Paste, Veg stock/water
- Add coconut milk and veg. stock/water and let it boil.200 ml Coconut Milk, Veg stock/water
- Now add soy sauce, sugar. Add sautéed vegetables and salt.1 tsp Soy Sauce, 1 tsp Sugar, Salt
- Add more water/stock if required.
- Cook curry for 1-2 mins. then add fresh basil and makrut lime leaves.Fresh Basil, Makrut Lime Leaves
- Cover and switch off the gas and finally add lime/lemon juice. Let the flavours infuse.Lime Juice
- While serving add more fresh basil.
- Serve hot with rice/noodles of your choice.
So try this Thai Green curry, it is so easy and quick to make. Enjoy the Restaurant style food in the comfort of your home!!
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!