Vegan Thai Red Curry Recipe | How to make Vegan Thai Red Curry
Spicy, delicious, filling and healthy Vegan Thai Red Curry Recipe for comforting and filling meals
Now make your favourite, restaurant style spicy Red Thai curry at home with fresh ingredients and homemade Red Curry Paste. If you haven't tried your favorite Thai food at home, then do read the post and try my easy and quick recipe.
- Why we love Thai Red Curry
- What is Thai Red Curry
- Variation for Thai Curries
- Thai Red Curry Paste for Vegan Thai Red Curry
- Basic Ingredients for Veg. Thai Red Curry
- How to make Vegan Thai Red Curry with Homemade Thai Red Curry Paste
- Other Asian recipes from the blog
- Recipe card for Vegan Thai Red Curry
- Shop for Ingredients:
Why we love Thai Red Curry
The best part about the curry is
it is VEGAN (suits all),
you can make it GLUTEN-FREE,
have it with rice/noodles or like soup and
the recipe is adaptable as per one's preferences
and Yes!! it is so delicious!!
A warm bowl of Thai curry not only soothes the taste buds but is also filling and so comforting especially on rainy evenings or cold chilly winters. I and my teenage daughter who loves spicy food , don't even need rice with it, with our favourite veggies added to it we can slurrp and finish it . My hubby who is not a fan of coconut milk based dishes, finishes it without any complaining with steamed rice on side!! For my 9 yr old this is a bit spicy and then loads of veggies right now don't appeal to him 🙂
What is Thai Red Curry
Thai Red Curry is a Thai dish, made with Red Curry paste in coconut milk.
We can add any meat/ veggies or protein to it depending on our eating preferences.
Though Thai curry is made with coconut milk, traditional Thai Curry is not Vegan or Vegetarian. But we can now customize it as per our dietary preferences as substitutes are always available.
Variation for Thai Curries
There are 3 main variations to Thai curry.. Green Thai Curry, Yellow Thai curry and Red Thai Curry. These curries are made with curry pastes . The difference is because of the herbs and chillies used in preparing these curry pastes which adds on the different flavour and color to the curries.
This post I am covering the Spicy Red Thai Curry, which is one of my favourite. I love spicy food and this one suits my Indian taste buds so well.
Thai Red Curry Paste for Vegan Thai Red Curry
We can use store bought Red Curry Paste(without shrimp) or use homemade Red Thai Curry paste. Vegan Red Curry paste is available in all the grocery stores nowadays. But if it is not available then you can order from Amazon or make at home. It does not take long, just add all the ingredients in grinder and blitz..
Check out my detailed post for Homemade Thai Red Curry Paste(soon posting the link)
Authentic Red Thai Curry is made from Red Curry Paste which has Shrimp paste in it. Also, fish sauce is added to curry. Since we are vegetarians, I have skipped the shrimp paste and fish sauce.
Galangal, Kaffir Lime leaves and Lemongrass give it the unique flavour. Nothing can beat the flavour of curry paste/curry made from authentic Thai ingredients. But, incase if you don't have the authentic Thai ingredients use the substitutes which work very well and give the authentic Thai Red Curry.
Basic Ingredients for Veg. Thai Red Curry
Thai Red Curry Paste- Store bought or homemade.
Coconut Milk- Full fat creamy Coconut milk works best for the curry, but you can always use low fat coconut milk.
Veggies- Add your favourite veggies.. I used broccoli, colored bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots. Other veggies that go well with it ..bok choy, water chestnuts, cauliflower
Protein- Add bean sprouts, tofu(vegans) and vegetarians can add paneer also. I didn't add any this time.
Kaffir Lime Leaves/Peel - Add if you get it. Else substitute with lemon/lime zest and lemon juice like I did.
Fresh Coriander/Cilantro, Basil- For garnish, to add more flavour. If you cannot get Thai basil, you can use the Italian basil
Soy Sauce- For Gluten-free curry use Gluten-free Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce.
Sweetener- To balance the acidic nature of chillies. I used Raw Cane sugar. You can add maple syrup or honey(if not vegan).
How to make Vegan Thai Red Curry with Homemade Thai Red Curry Paste
If have store bought paste it is a breeze to make curry. With Coconut Milk pack in hand and your choice of veggies/proteins, you can make prepare delicious dinner in just a few minutes.
Check here detailed recipe for -->Homemade Thai Red Curry Paste . I have added the steps in the recipe card also.
Steps to make Red Curry
Other Asian recipes from the blog
Nasi goreng(Vegetarian), Indonesian Peanut Salad Dressing, Crispy Honey Chilli Potatoes, Hot and Sour Soup, Thukpa Gyathuk, Garlic and Spring Onion Noodles, Broccoli and Mushroom Stir fry(Chinese Style)
Recipe card for Vegan Thai Red Curry
Vegan Thai Red Curry
For Quick Red Curry Paste(optional)
- 4-5 Thai Chilies/Whole Dry Red Chillies
- 1 medium size Red Bell Pepper
- 1" Galangal/Ginger
- 6-7 Garlic cloves
- 1 stick Lemongrass
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Coriander Seeds
- 6-7 Peppercorns
- Zest of 1 medium Lemon/Lime
- 1 tbsp Lemon/Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- Fistful Basil and Cilantro
Thai Red Curry
- 13.5 Oz Coconut Milk 400 ml
- 4-5 tbsp Red Curry Paste (Homemade or Store Bought)
- Assorted Veggies of Choice Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Baby Corn. Zucchini, Broccoli
- 1-2 tsp Soy Sauce or use Gluten-free Tamari
- Lemon Zest of 1 lemon
- Lemon Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Oil optional
- 1 medium Finely chopped Onion optional
- 5-6 Fresh Basil leaves
- Fresh Cilantro for garnish
Make Red Curry Paste
- When using dried whole red chillies, soak in warm water for about 10-15 mins. then carefully cut and deseed chillies.
- Take care to wash hands properly to get rid of chillies or else you can wear gloves too if you have sensitive skin.
- Roast coriander, cumin seeds and peppercorns on medium flame till it gives aroma.
- Coarsely crush in a motor pestle.
- In a grinder add all the ingredients for Red Curry Paste.
- Grind to a smooth and fine paste. Add 1-2 tbsp of water of required.
- Take out and store in an airtight container till further use.
Method for Thai Red Curry
- In a pan heat oil and add finely chopped onions.
- Add Thai curry paste and saute for a minute.
- Add soy sauce and mix.
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Cook for about 1-2 mins till it starts to boil.
- Add vegetables , salt and raw sugar/maple syrup.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for about other 3-4 mins.
- Alternatively, you can saute veggies separately in a tsp of oil keep aside and then add to coconut milk and red curry paste mix.
- Serve hot with Jasmine Rice/Steamed Rice/ Cilantro and Lime Quinoa or Noodles
Shop for Ingredients:
Do try Vegan Thai Red Curry with homemade Red Curry Paste my way. You will definitely love this easy peasy spicy curry recipe.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
What a amazing Thai recipes with stunning pics Swaty. It's been long time I am thinking to try Thai recipes. This vegan Thai red curry looks very inviting , loved the flavors and creamy texture of this curry.
Thanks Aruna!! Do try it out.. you will love the flavours.
Thai red curry with home made Thai red curry paste is so flavourful and delicious. Makes a complete meal with some rice and red chillies soaked in soya sauce. I love the spicy version too.
I love Thai Red Curry and was lucky that my son made it twice for us when we were in Bali. With rice it makes a filling, hearty and delicious meal. Once we ordered from a vegetarian restaurant in Bali and they served it in a coconut.
The Girl Next Door
I'm a huge fan of Thai Red Curry, and absolutely adore the way yours looks. So creamy and smooth, I'm sure the curry must have tasted super flavourful. I'd love to dig in with some hot steamed rice. 🙂
Loved your version of Vegan Thai red curry Swaty ! With the homemade red curry paste , I am sure the curry must have tasted great. Would love giving it a try soon.
I like the Thai red curry more than the green and yellow ones. As yiu have said they suit our Indian taste buds very well . Bookmarking this post .