Rava Coconut Ladoo and Modak Recipe for Ganesh Chathurthi and festivals like Diwali and Holi. Make these delicious melt in mouth ladoos with goodness of semolina and dessicated coconut.
Festivals are the time when people enjoy traditional food and desserts. This simple and easy to make Coconut Rava Ladoos are one of the most popular mithai or sweet in Andhra Pradesh. It is prepared especially during festivals like Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi, Holi etc. You can shape it like ladoos or like modaks to offer to Ganesha for Ganesh Chaturthi.
About the Recipe
Coconut Rava Ladoos are easy and quick ladoos made with Semolina(cream of wheat), dessicated coconut, nuts and ghee as main ingredients.
Recently I saw a lot of Rava Ladoo recipes on social media, so thought of why not give it a try this Ganesh Chaturthi. I made some ladoos and shaped a few like modaks for Bappa's prasad.
Rava Ladoos may take a bit of time to make but the taste is worth of all the efforts you put in.
Ingredients to make Coconut Rava Ladoo or Modaks
Rava or Semolina- Use fine sooji to make the ladoos.
Dessicated Coconut- Adds a nutty taste to the sweet ladoo and makes it more delicious.
You can skip coconut if you want. Replace it with the same amount of rava.
Sweetener- I have used raw cane sugar. You can also use castor sugar.
Dry Fruits- I have used mix of Cashew nuts, Raisins and Cranberries. You can use any of your choice like dried berries, almonds or melon seeds.
Ghee- Without Ghee Indian Mithai do not get the traditional authentic taste. Though many recipes say that we can use coconut oil. Since I have never used it so I cannot comment.
Milk- To bind and add moisture to ladoos and modaks.
How to make Rava Coconut Ladoos
Heat ghee in a pan then roast rava on medium to low flame Then roast coconut till it starts giving the aroma. Keep the flame from low to medium and take care not to burn the rava and coconut.
Take out the mix. in a separate plate and then in the same pan roast dry fruits in remaining ghee.
Transfer to same plate with the rava and coconut mixture.
Make sugar syrup with one string consistency. Checkout the recipe card for details.
Then nicely mix the syrup with the roasted rava and nuts mix.
Let it cool completely.
Now add about 2 tbsp milk at a time, mix and bind the ladoo mixture. You may need about 2-4 tbsp or 1/4 cup milk. Do not add milk altogether, add it 2 tbsp at a time.
When the mixture is moist enough then bind the ladoos or shape in modak for. Checkout the video on how to make Rava Coconut Ladoos and Modaks.
Leave the shaped ladoos and modaks for a couple of hour. Then store in an airtight container. Since these ladoos have milk, the shelf life is about 7-8 days when refrigerated. Else finish within 3-4 days.
Ladoos in refrigerator may get a bit hard as these contain ghee which solidifies in low temperature. Leave the refrigerated ladoos for few min. on counter. It will soften.
Recipe Card for Rava Coconut Ladoo
Rava Coconut Ladoo
- Measuring Spoons and Bowls
- 1 Cup Fine Rava/Sooji Semolina
- ½ Cup Dessicated Coconut
- ¼ Cup + 2 tbsp Ghee
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 5-6 Saffron strands
- 10-12 Cashew nuts and Raisins(each)
For Sugar Syrup
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Heat of ¼ cup ghee in a pan, add rava/sooji and roast on medium heat. Roast it till it starts gives the roasted aroma. Keep rest of 3 tbsp ghee for roasting nuts.¼ Cup + 2 tbsp Ghee, 1 Cup Fine Rava/Sooji
- Now add dessicated coconut and roast it for another 1-2 mins.½ Cup Dessicated Coconut
- Take out the sooji coconut mixture in a separate plate.
- Now add remaining 2 tbsp ghee and roast nuts and raisins. Once the nuts start turning light brown, take it out in the same plate with sooji coconut mix.¼ Cup + 2 tbsp Ghee, 10-12 Cashew nuts and Raisins(each)
- Prepare sugar syrup of one thread consistency. (See the steps mentioned below)
- Now add the roasted mixture in sugar syrup. and mix it well.
- Transfer the mixture in the plate and spread it evenly. Let it cool. It will take about 20 mins to an hour.
- Once the ladoo mixture is cool enough to handle, mix it thoroughly with hands.
- Add milk 2 tbsp at a time to bind the mixture. Do not add all the milk at once.¼ Cup Milk
- Shape ladoos. If the mixture is crumbly then again add more milk.
- Shape into ladoos. You can also shape into modaks using the modak mold for Ganesh festival.
- Leave the ladoos on the counter for few hrs, so that it sets completely.
- Then store in an airtight container and use as required.
- Stays good for a week when stored in refrigerator and 3-4 days without refrigerator.
Make Sugar syrup
- In pan take sugar, water, cardamom powder and saffron strands. Mix.5-6 Saffron strands, ½ Cup Sugar, 1/4 Cup Water, 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Boil the sugar water mixture on medium heat. The mixture will start boiling.
- Once the mixture starts getting thick(takes about 5 mins.), take a spoon and dip it in the boiling mixture. Cool it a bit and check the thread formation.
- To check, take a drop of sugar syrup and press it between your thumb and index finger and then pull the thumb and finger apart. It should form a single thread.
- Switch off the gas and add the roasted coconut and rava mixture.
Do try these rava and coconut ladoos and I am sure you will surely relish these with your family.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!