Learn how to cook Quinoa in Instant Pot and stove top in open pan.
Fluffy Quinoa for salads, soups and even desserts..Cooked in one minute in Instant Pot. Serve with Dals, curries or mix with stir frys for a hearty and filling meal!!
- About Quinoa
- Nutritional benefits of Quinoa
- How to cook Quinoa in Instant Pot
- How to cook Quinoa in Open Pot(Stove Top method)
- How to store cooked Quinoa and Shelf Life
- Recipes with Quinoa on the blog that you will love to try
- Recipe Card
- How to Cook Quinoa(Instant Pot and Stove-top Recipe
Quinoa the 'ancient grain' that has been used in South America, especially the people of Andes since thousand of years. The Incas called it the Mother of all grains.
Quinoa is one of the very nutritious ingredient.. recently it is one the most popular and preferred ingredient for low carb protein rich diet plans. Many in the nutrition world consider it as a cereal as it is used in place of cereals or grains and also tastes like one. It is a seeds from the Chenopodium quinoa. It is a kind of grain in disguise, just like many take peanuts as nuts which are actually legumes!!
Pronounced as Keen-wah, and is known as Pseudo-grain as it pretends to be grain and eaten and used as a grain. It is the new diet trend especially for those on gluten-free diets. We can use it in making not only in salads, soups or pilaf but also the flour can be used in baking like cakes, cookies etc.
Nutritional benefits of Quinoa
It is the new age SUPER FOOD and it contains all the essential amino acids so it a complete protein, though the protein content is not very high. It is just like all the other protein sources. Also, the fibre content is higher than rice and other grains.
It is a gluten-free and cholesterol-free and mostly grown organically. The coating Saponin that makes the taste slightly unpleasant which repels birds and insects so the growers don't have to use pesticides and other chemicals.
How to cook Quinoa in Instant Pot
Cooking Quinoa in open pan on stove-top takes a bit of time around 10-15 mins. For times when we need quick-fix meals, simple and easy way to cook thid, is in Pressure cooker. It makes things so easy and quick na!!
Use your electric Pressure Cooker or your traditional on (like Indian Stove-top Pressure Cookers), it's a matter of just few mins.
Though it is a quick way to make Quinoa in Indian style Pressure cooker, but still you have to keep a watch on the whistles and switching of the stove/gas.
Instant Pot or any Electric Pressure cooker cooking is more fuss free. All you have to is to to put Quinoa and water and let the IP do it's work.
Though it takes almost the same time from start to end to in IP only thing is that you don't have to monitor the cooking process or stand aside the stove top to watch the cooking time.
I use IP Ultra Model which as good and convenient as any other IP Model.
Tips to Cook Perfect Quinoa in Instant Pot
- Wash Quinoa very nicely, 3-4 times in running tap water. This gets rid of all the bitterness from Quinoa.
- Add a pinch of salt and a tsp of oil in water, to get the flavour and non sticky Quinoa.
- Do natural release of pressure, don't be in a hurry to open the lid of IP by doing quick pressure release.
- You can double the quantity of Quinoa(add water accordingly) but keep the cooking timings to 1 min.
Total Time Taken to in IP
Although the total cooking time is only 1 min. but it takes total 20 mins from start to finish.
5-6 mins for IP to come to pressure, 1 min of cooking Quinoa and then about 10 mins of Natural Pressure Release.
How to cook Quinoa in Open Pot(Stove Top method)
Wash quinoa very nicely 3-4 times in running tap water.
Keep 2 cups water for boiling in a pan.
Add 1 Cup Quinoa and then let it come to boil.
Add a pinch of salt and a tsp of oil for a more fluffy and flavourful quinoa.
Cook for about 10-12 mins. till all the water is absorbed.
Fluff lightly with a fork or spoon.
Add more flavour and nutrition to Quinoa, you can cook it in Vegetable broth instead of water.
How to store cooked Quinoa and Shelf Life
Cooked Quinoa stays good for 6-7 days in refrigerator in an airtight container.
I never freeze cooked Quinoa but many friends tell me that it stays good for more than a month in freezer.
Recipes with Quinoa on the blog that you will love to try
How to Cook Quinoa(Instant Pot and Stove-top Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1½ Cup Water/Stock
- Salt skip when using Stock
- 1 tsp Plant based oil optional
Wash and prepare Quinoa for cooking
- Rinse Quinoa 4-5 times very nicely in water. Use fine mesh/colander.1 Cup Quinoa
- Rub quinoa grains with fingers to get rid of all the bitterness.
- Keep it aside for few minutes to drain water completely.
Cooking Quinoa in Instant Pot
- Switch on the IP at Sauté Mode and set the timer for 3 mins.
- Once the display shows HOT, add Quinoa. Toast it for a few seconds.
- Add water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp oil.Mix.1½ Cup Water/Stock, Salt, 1 tsp Plant based oil
- Cancel the Saute Mode and Set the PRESSURE COOK MODE ON, time set to 1 min.
- Do not do Quick Pressure Release. Let the Pressure come down naturally.
- Open the Instant Pot and check and fluff Quinoa.
How to cook Quinoa in Open Pot(Stove Top method)
- Keep 2 cups water for boiling in a pan.
- Add 1 Cup Quinoa and then let it come to boil.
- Add a pinch of salt and a tsp of oil for a more fluffy and flavourful quinoa.
- Cook for about 10-12 mins. till all the water is absorbed.
- Fluff lightly with a fork or spoon.
Storage and Shelf Life
- Transfer cooked Quinoa to an airtight container for storage or use as required.
- Stays good for 6-7 days when refrigerated and for 2-3 months in freezer.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section. I am sure you and your family will love it as much my family loved it.
Whenever you make it please post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do enter your mail the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts. You can also share and the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!