Healthy Quinoa patties are easy quick and way to pack loads of nutrients in one and are so delicious. These Sweet Potato and Quinoa Patties made in Air Fryer are low in oil, totally plant based and gluten-free and your kids too are going to love it!!
With few basic pantry staple ingredients whip up a healthy and nutritious recipe with Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Black Beans and enjoy as a tea time snack or as a filling for wraps, sandwiches and patties for burgers!!
Stepwiese Video Recipe included in the recipe card
- About the Recipe
- Why you should try Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes (Baked in Oven or Air Fryer)
- Ingredients to make Vegan Quinoa Patties
- How to make Air Fryer Quinoa Patties
- Serving Suggestions
- Dips to serve with Quinoa Bites
- More Healthy Cutlets/Patties from the blog
- Frequently asked questions
- More Quinoa Recipes from the blog
- Recipe Card
About the Recipe
Air Fryer Quinoa and Sweet Potato Patties made with quinoa, sweet potato and black beans are a flavour bomb. Crispy from outside and soft inside and have a meaty texture.
You can Air fryer or bake these for low oil version or shallow fry as per your preferences.
My kids are not much of a fan of quinoa. Hubby is okay to have it occasionally. So I try sneak quinoa into food like in these vegan sweet potato and quinoa patties, dosa, idli.
My younger one said these taste so much like chicken cutlets(as per my son) and he asked to pack a few for his lunch box.
Why you should try Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes (Baked in Oven or Air Fryer)
- Rich source of plant protein for Vegetarians and Vegans.
- These are Gluten-free and safe to consume for those on special diets.
- Make ahead and store for a couple of days and are freeze friendly.
- Portable and can be conveniently packed as travel food and for lunchboxes.
- Add to salad bowls, use in wraps and sandwiches, burgers for kids or serve as finger food at parties and get together.
- Recipe for quinoa patties is quite versatile and adaptable as per ingredients.
- Even if you don't like it, try this super grain in different ways once in a while.
Ingredients to make Vegan Quinoa Patties
Quinoa- Precooked Quinoa is used in the recipe. Cook a fresh batch or you can also use leftover.
Sweet Potatoes- You can add boiled or roasted sweet potato. Substitute with boiled potato or yam.
Black Beans- Add more protein. You can substitute with rajma/red kidney beans or chickpea. I used around 1/2 cup.
Roasted Chickpea Flour- As a binding agent. You can use Oats flour/breadcrumbs for binding.
Herbs- Ginger Garlic paste, fresh coriander/cilantro adds a flavour punch.
Spices- Chilli Flakes and Garam Masala.
Others - Salt as per taste and oil (very less).
To make it like your favourite Trader Joe's Black Bean and Quinoa Patties (for my readers in USA), add some chopped yellow bell peppers and add breadcrumbs.
Other substitutes- Add other vegetables like corn kernels, grated carrot, beetroot, broccoli, peas, cauliflower or zucchini. You can also add grated cheese for cheesy quinoa patties for your kids.
How to make Air Fryer Quinoa Patties
The recipe for healthy quinoa bites is so easy and fuss free.
- To make healthy quinoa patties firstly cook quinoa and sweet potato.
- You can cook quinoa in your Instant Pot or cook in open pan on stove top.
- Check here HOW TO COOK QUINOA (INSTANT POT AND STOVE TOP RECIPE)
- Boil or roast sweet potato(oven/air fryer).
- Roast chickpea flour till it starts to give light aroma.
- Make paste of ginger garlic and green chilli(optional) or use store bought paste.
Make Quinoa Patties
- In a mixing bowl add beans and sweet potato and mash it (use a potato masher).
- Add rest of the ingredients and mix together nicely. Add oil in this step as it keeps the air fryer/baked patties moist.
- Make small bite sized patties/cutlets or you can also shape like burger patties.
- Lightly brush with oil.
- Bake in preheated oven or Air fryer.
- Or, you can shallow fry in a pan and serve with your favourite dip.
Add these Gluten-free quinoa patties to your salad bowl, serve as a starter with your favourite dip.
I served it with creamy Avocado Cilantro and mint dip (without yogurt or cream). Check the recipe Card for the recipe.
Dips to serve with Quinoa Bites
More Healthy Cutlets/Patties from the blog
Rajma and Spinach Cutlets, Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs, Aloo Poha cutlets, Hara Bhara Kebab, Raw Banana Cutlets, Raw Papaya Kebabs, Aloo Makhana aur Kaju cutlets, Chessy Semolina Bites, Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms, Tandoori Gobhi/Cauliflower Tikka and many more.
Frequently asked questions
Sweet Potato and Quinoa patties with black beans are healthy and loaded with nutrients. All the ingredients used in these patties are healthy friendly. Black beans and quinoa are good source of protein and sweet potato is rich in fibre, antioxidants and minerals. These are low in oil as we bake or air fryer these.
Cooked Sweet Potato patties with Quinoa stays good for a week when refrigerated. Refrigerate uncooked patties for 2-3 days.
You can freeze cooked patties for a month. Pack cooked patties in a freezer friendly container or zip lock bags. Reheat directly in air fryer/oven (lightly brush oil if required) or in pan with little oil.
Quinoa is a healthy and safe food option for kids. It is a complete protein and so can be conveniently included in kids diet.You can sneak it in various dishes like snacks and desserts.
More Quinoa Recipes from the blog
Healthy Quinoa Patties
- Mixing Bowl
- Air Fryer/Oven
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1 medium Sweet Potato boiled or roasted
- ½ cup Black Beans
- 2 tbsp Chickpea Flour besan
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ½" Small Ginger piece
- 1 Green Chilli optional
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Flakes or as required
- Handful fresh Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil + for brushing or shallow frying
For Avocado Cilantro Dip recipe
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- Hannful of Clinatro and Mint Leaves
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- Small Ginger piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies or as prefered
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt as per taste Black Salt or Pink Salt
- Take precooked quinoa. If you are making a fresh batch, cool it completely.1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- Take roasted/boiled sweet potato.1 medium Sweet Potato
- Make coarse paste of ginger garlic (use motor pestle) or you can also use store bought paste.2 Garlic Cloves, ½" Small Ginger piece, 1 Green Chilli
- In a bowl take black beans and sweet potato and mash it. You can use a potato masher or simply mix with your hands.½ cup Black Beans, 1 medium Sweet Potato
- Add all the other ingredients including ginger garlic paste, chickpea flour and mix nicely. If the mixture is a bit wet you can add some more chickpea flour/besan.1 small Onion, 1 tsp Garam Masala, ½ tsp Red Chilli Flakes, Handful fresh Cilantro, 1 tbsp Oil
- Make small bite sized patties or as required. Shape in big size of you are making patties for burgers.
To Air Fry/Bake
- Preheat the oven or Air Fryer(if you have the option) at 200C or 350F.
- Bake/Air Fry for about 12-15 mins. Check after 10 mins. If the patties are dry lightly brush oil.
To Pan Fry
- Heat about 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add cutlets one by one and shallow fry till light brown from both sides.
Make Creamy Avacado Cilantro Dip
- Take all the ingredients in a grinder jar.
- Grind to smooth paste. No need to add water.
Make Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dip
- Add all the ingredients in grinder jar and grind to smooth paste.
- Transfer to an air tight container and refigerate till further use.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!