Cheesy Sooji/Semolina Bites recipe | Semolina Bites with Mixed Veggies and Cheese Fried and Baked
Cheesy Sooji/Semolina Bites with made with Sooji, Semolina, with mixed vegetables and cheese. A delicious snack for kids lunchbox and get togethers.
Click for the VIDEO RECIPE
About the Recipe
These vegetarian mini bites with Sooji and potatoes. Add sweet corn and carrots for kids snacking/parties, evening teatime snack on weekends or potluck. These are so delicious that you will have to make a big batch as these disappear as quickly as these are served.
These Cheesy Semolina bites are ready within 30 mins. and so easy to make with easily available ingredients at home.
My kids love these cheesy bites. You can deep fry these bites or even make a low oil baked version in Appe pan or Air Fryer.
In this post will cover both versions, you can make these as per your preference.
Make these for your weekend breakfast or evening chai. Kids will love it with tomato ketchup and you can enjoy these with spicy green chutney!
Recipes with Sooji
Semolina or Cream of Wheat, is known in India as Sooji(known in North India) or is granulated form of wheat, coarse or fine. In Southern India it is known as Rava. It is widely used in Indian Cuisine for making snacks, breakfast items and desserts. One of the most commonly available and used ingredient, it is quite budget friendly also.
Sooji Ka Halwa, is a very popular pudding made in almost all Indian homes.
Rava Upma is another delicious melt in mouth savoury preparation with vegetables and is served for breakfast.
Instant Rava Idlis no fermentation Idlis or steamed Semolina cakes are made using rava and curd/yogurt.
You can make cake Sooji Cake or add to batter of cake with whole wheat flour for soft and moist texture. Light Fruitcake .
Ingredients for Cheesy Sooji Bites
Semolina or Sooji(use fine or coarse), potato, breadcrumbs for binding, cheese (use any like mozzarella, pepper jack), spices like red chili flakes(optional skip if making for kids),ginger, garlic(optional) cumin seeds.
You can also add grated carrots, finely chopped capsicum and onions. I have used only corn and grated carrots here. Also fresh cilantro gives a nice aroma and flavour to it, but sadly I didn't had any today so I added dried parsley.
How to make Cheesy Bites
To make bites, first cook semolina with veggies. In a pan, sauté corn, grated carrots or any other finely chopped veggies, add semolina, roast for a 1-2 minutes then add water and salt and cook till the mixture is thick.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and then cool it completely.
Cool the mixture then add and mix grated cheese, boiled potatoes, breadcrumbs, spices(garlic powder, red chilli flakes), cilantro/coriander or parsley, then shape in balls. You can use Italian seasoning if you want.
Deep Fry or Bake ( in Air Fryer or oven). You can also make these in Appe pan, in low oil.
You can use your leftover upma, add potatoes, cheese and spices of your choice to make these bites. One of the best use of leftover upma.
Cheesy Sooji Bites
- 1 Cup Sooji/Semolina
- 1 Boiled Potato
- ¾ Grated Cheese
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- ¼ Cup Sweet Corn
- ¼ Cup Grated Carrot
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander//Cilantro Leaves
- 1-2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes(optional)
- 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Oil for Frying or to Brush bites
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds.
- Add finely chopped ginger and green chilli if adding.
- Add grated carrots and corn. Saute for few minutes. Add other veggies like peas, broccoli as per your choice,
- Add Sooji roast for few minutes and then add water and salt.
- Cook till the mixture becomes thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and let it cool completely.
- Add boiled mashed potatoes, grated cheese, garlic powder, chilli flakes and breadcrumbs. Adjust the salt.
- Mix nicely and shape into small lemon sized balls.
To Air Fry/Bake in Oven
- Plug-in the Air Fryer. Set the Air Fry setting to 350F or 180C for 15 mins and start it. Or, pre-heat air fryer/oven for 5 mins at 350F or 180C.
- When display indicates, ADD FOOD, brush soji balls with oil, add to air fry and air fry for about 10 mins, check sooji bites.
- After 10 mins, brush with oil then again air fry for about 5-6 mins.
For Deep Frying
- Heat oil in a kadhai or heavy bottom pan, when the oil is hot enough, add sooji balls one by one carefully. Deep fry till light brown in color.
- Take out on a kitchen towel and serve hot!
For Appe Pan
- Heat pan on medium heat, brush oil in the cavities, add balls cover and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Rotate the balls, and then brush again, cover and cook, till light brown in color.
So do make these cheesy bites as per your liking. Low oil version are healthy and can be made without cheese.
Do try this Light and yummy snack for your parties, potluck, kids get together or just like that!!
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!