Instant Rava Idli, made with Rava/Sooji/Semolina, quick Idli recipe without any fermentation.
Instant Rava Idlis an easy and healthy Idli recipe that gets ready in just 15-20 minutes. Instant Idlis are a quick solution to those times when have sudden Idli sambhar carvings when you don’t have fermented Idli batter in hand or when you are in a mood to fix something comforting for lunch/dinner.
Idlis are savory rice and lentil cakes that are made by steaming the fermented rice and lentil batter.
Traditional method of making Idli with fermented the batter requires first soaking of rice and lentils for at least 4-5 hrs and then grinding and then fermenting it. Fermentation can take 8-9 hrs depending on the weather conditions.
Fermented batter is then steamed in a special steamer called Idli maker. This process takes too long for making these Idlis you need to have fermented batter in hand. Instant Idlis are also good for packing in kids lunch boxes with some chutney of their choice.
You can also make Instant Rava Idli with Cooked Rice, where you can use any leftover rice to make soft spongy and fluffy Idli.
How to make Instant Rava Idli
Making Instant Idlis is a no-fuss process, ready in just 20 minutes you can enjoy these the way you like, with hot and spicy Sambhar or with any spicy Chutney or as Masala Idlis.
I use semolina and yogurt/curd to make these.
Eno salt fruit salt is used for the quick fermentation action in the batter. Eno Fruit salt is an Antacid and is available at the Indian Grocery stores outside India. If you don’t have Eno fruit salt, baking soda and lemon juice can be used instead.
1 Tsp of Eno fruit Salt= 1/2 Tsp of Baking Soda and 1/2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice.
I made a big batch of these and then I made some Masala Idlis with left over Idlis .
This recipe is for 1 Cup Rava/ Semolina which gives around 14 Idlis of the size of my Idli mold. You can increase the amount of ingredients as per your requirement.
Let’s see how I make this quick and easy Rava Idli
Instant Rava Idli
Instant Rava Idllis made using Semolina and Yogurt, quick and easy recipe. Learn how to make soft and fluffy Instant Rava Idllis
- Semolina/Rava- 1 Cup
- Thick Yogurt/Curd- 1Cup
- Salt- 1Tsp
- Eno Fruit Salt-1Tsp
- Water-1/2- 3/4 Cup
- Oil for brushing the Idli molds
- Take semolina/rava in a mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt and salt and mix well.
- Keep the mixture for rest for 5 mins.
- After 5 min the mixture will be thick as semolina absorbs the moisture.
- Meanwhile, fill the Idli steamer with water and keep it on gas on low flame, for water to boil.
- Brush the Idli molds with little oil. We do this so that the Idlis don’t stick to the base.
- After 5 minutes check the semolina and yogurt mixture. It will be thick. Add water to it carefully to make the batter. The consistency of the batter should not very thick or too thin. It should be a little thicker than the ribbon consistency. Mix well.
- Add 1 Tsp of Eno fruit salt and mix in the batter. Don’t beat the batter after adding Eno and immediately transfer the batter to Idli molds in the tray using a spoon. Keep the idli mold tray in the steamer. In case you don’t have Eno Salt use 1/2 Tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Cover the steamer and steam Idlis for 5-10 minutes. After 10 mins check with a toothpick or knife if the idlis are done, else steam for another 5 minutes.
- When the Idlis are done, take the steamer off the flame and keep it covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Then carefully take Idlis out of the molds.
- Enjoy with hot and spicy Sambhar or any Chutney of your choice.
So make these Instant Idlis and enjoy any time the way you like.
If you love Chinese flavors, try this Chilli Idli recipe with leftover Idli.
Do make these Instant Rava Idlis and let me know your feedback.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and also share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!