Tandoori Gobhi or Grilled Cauliflower Gobhi Tikka flavorful snack/appetizer recipe made in Air Fryer or Oven
Tandoori way of cooking originated in Northern India which is now very popular across India infact all the World!!. Tandoori snacks are one of the most ordered snack or starter items in Indian restaurants. Tandoori cooking is similar to grilling where food is marinated in special tandoori masala/marinade and grilled in Tandoors or traditional clay ovens. Cooking in Tandoors gives a charred effect to food and a distinct aroma too. Tandoor cooked vegetables or chicken is served as starter or added to gravies(Paneer Tikka Masala). Tandoori Naan or Tandoori Rotis are the famous flat-breads that are popular all across the world.
With the convenience of ovens, grills ,electric tandoors and now air fryers one can easily make these dishes at home also. Tandoori cooking or grilling is one of the healthy way of cooking veggies as the nutrition is retained instead of deep frying.
Monday is the time for Facebook group Foodie Monday Bloghop Theme post, and this week all the participating bloggers are making Party Snacks/Starters #227PartyStarters. This wonderful theme was suggested by Poonam who blogs at Annapurna. Her blog is a wonderful repository of recipes from traditional Maharashtra Cuisine and so many healthy baking recipes. Do check her wonder blog where she gives clear step by step pictorial instructions of the method.
I decided to link Tandoori Gobhi as it is winter time and season of fresh cauliflower. Though it available all through the year but nothing beats the taste of fresh seasonal produce. And also, it is the time of parties and get-togethers. We are going to enter another year with new hopes, new aspirations. People meet, celebrate the coming year and say Good bye to the going year. Tandoori Gobhi served with mint yogurt chutney is one of the perfect snack or starter for your parties and get together.
Other easy to put together grilled/oven roasted/air fryer party starters from the blog.. Grilled Vegetables with Creamy Cilantro dip , Basil Pesto Paneer Tikka, Cajun Potatoes, Rajma Aur Palak ki Tikki , Baked Chickpeas
Here in this post I am covering Gobhi Tikka Recipe as I recently made this for a get together with friends. You can make a mix of veggies(cauliflower, broccoli, mushroom, capsicum whatever is available to me) along with Paneer. Friday movie night, game day or get together or parties, one can make ahead these snacks and keep in oven or reheat and then serve warm.These are one of the best, crowd pleasing appetizer/snack that you will see vanishing as soon as these are served.
How to make Marinade for Tikkas
Marinade for Tikka or Tandoori snacks is made with yogurt, besan/chickpea flour and a combination of spices and herbs.
You can marinade any kind of veggies, paneer or even chicken in this marinade. Only the grilling time varies with the kind of veggie or meat used.
Mustard Oil is traditionally used in marinade which gives a rustic taste to tikkas. Any other oil can also be used if you don't use this oil.
Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek leaves is another ingredient that adds on the flavor and taste of tikkas.
Use thick plain yogurt/curd/dahi preferably greek yogurt. If it is not available the strain the extra water from yogurt before using for marinade. For a vegan friendly tandoori gobhi you can use any plant based yogurt or cashew cream.
Chickpea flour/Besan for binding masala on vegetable or paneer here Gobhi.
How to make Tandoori Gobhi
To make Tandoori Gobhi, clean and cut cauliflower into bite florets.
I have also taken bell peppers(red and green and onions) cubes. You can skip these if you don't want to add these.
Heat water in a pan and cauliflower to it for about 10 minutes. This will soften the florets.
After 10 mins discard water and keep the florets to dry or pat pat dry on a kitchen towel.
Roast Besan or Chickpea flour in a pan for a minute or till it gives the roasted aroma.
Heat mustard oil till smoking point, let it cool before adding to marinade mix.
In a bowl mix all the ingredients under marinade section.
Add cauliflower florets, bell pepper/capsicum cubes and onions.
Cover the bowl with lid or cling film and refrigerate at least fro an hour. You can make the marinade mix a day ahead of making gobhi tikkas.
When ready to make, arrange the veggies on skewers. If using wooden skewers soak it in water for 5 minutes before grilling. Pat dry on kitchen towel before arranging the veggies on it. This avoids the charring of skewers while grilling on high temperature.
You can also arrange veggies on baking tray if not using skewers.
Brush with oil before and after grilling the veggies.
Gobhi Tikka in Air Fryer
Air fry at 350°F or 180°C for 15 minutes. Add gobhi when the display shows "Add Food". Tandoori Gobhi takes about 10-12 minutes in Air fryer.
Gobhi Tikka in Oven
Preheat oven to 425°F or 200°C
Bake tikkas for 15-20 minutes at 425°F or 200°C . Then turn off the baking mode, switch on the grill/broiler mode and grill on HIGH for 5 minutes, to give slightly charred tandoori effect.
You can also grill on gas-stove in grill pan or directly on flame. Add some oil in grill pan and roast till the veggies start to char.
Tandoori Gobhi/Cauliflower Tikka
- 10-15 Cauliflower florets
- 1 Cup Mixed Bell Peppers(Cubed)
- ½ Cup Onions(Cubed)
For Tandoori Marinade
- ¼ Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour
- ½ Cup Plain Thick Yogurt/Greek Yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Spices and Herbs for Marinade
- 1-2 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt ( or as per taste)
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- 1 tsp Dried Mint Leaves optional
Mint Yogurt Chutney
- ½ Cup Thick Yogurt/Greek Yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp Mint Cilantro Chutney
- Clean and cut cauliflower florets.
- Boil Water in a pan add ½ tsp of salt and add florets in it for 10 minutes.
- Drain florets and discard water.
- Roast Chickpea flour/besan in a pan for a minute or till it starts to give it's characteristic aroma.
- Heat Mustard oil to it's smoking point.
- In a bowl add yogurt, chickpea flour, all the spices, oil and mix well..
- Add cauliflower florets, bell pepper and onion cubes.
- Mix well and coat all the veggies in marinade.
- Cover the bowl with lid or with a cling wrap and refrigerate for at-least 1 hr or till ready to serve.
In Air Fryer
- Start air fryer on Air Fry Mode at 345°F or 180°C.Set Timer for 10 minutes.
- Add marinated veggies on the tray when the indicator say ADD FOOD.
- Air Fry till the set time or check when the veggies are grilled and start to char.
- Brush with oil if you feel veggies are drying.
- Preheat oven to 425°F or 200°C
- Bake tikkas for 15-20 minutes . Then turn off the baking mode, switch on the grill/broiler mode and grill on HIGH for 5 minutes, to give slightly charred tandoori effect.
On Stove Top
- On gas-stove in grill pan or directly on flame. Add some oil in grill pan and roast till the veggies start to char.
- Before serving sprinkle a mix of some chaat masala and dried mint leaves.
For Mint Yogurt Chutney
- Mix Yogurt with Chutney and serve with tikkas.
Do try this delicious Tandoori Gobhi and serve at your parties and get-togethers, and give me your feedback whenever you make it.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button to subscribe to my blog to get notifications on new posts. Also do share the blog info with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!