Chutneywale Aloo, a spicy and tangy preparation of potatoes in green chutney, served as a starter or side dish
It’s Vegan friendly, Gluten-free and Nut Free.
Chutneywale Aloo is Potatoes cooked in spices and green chutney.It is a very easy dish that gets ready within few minutes, from start (boiling potatoes) to serving. A simple but rich in flavors dish from the North Indian Cuisine(Uttar Pradesh).
This spicy and tangy dish can be served as snack or starter at get-togethers. A simple dish that combines the flavors of mint and coriander/cilantro chutney with potatoes and other spices.
Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes with Potatoes that you will love
People have been consuming these for centuries. Potato is a very versatile vegetable and can be prepared in endless ways.
Make curries(Rassewale Aloo), starters, mash it or stir fry it use the way you like it.
You can make main dishes, snacks and starters. Use it as a filling in breads(Aloo Kulche), pies or rolls and wraps.
Kids love potatoes and eat it most of the forms without making any fuss.
Aloo Ka parantha is one the favorite lunchbox item for kids in India. With chutney, jam or sauce it makes a filling school lunch.
Many people avoid potatoes due to high starch content. But when consumed in moderate and not deep fried it is quite beneficial for health. Potato’s contain fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 content, lack of cholesterol in it, support heart health. Potatoes also contain good amounts of fiber.
Do you know that 19th August is National Potato day in the U.S.. Linking my post to the Potato Day Event by Valentina Celant. Do check out the recipes by participating bloggers.
Happy National Potato Day!
Thank you to Valentina from The Baking Fairy for organizing this event!
Check out all of the delicious potato recipes we made for the occasion:
Air Fryer Garlic Herb French Fries by Daily Dish Recipes
Banh Mi Potato Skins by The Spiffy Cookie
Baked Tornado Potatoes by For The Love of Food
Brunede Kartofler (Danish Caramel Potatoes) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Campfire Potatoes by Our Good Life
Cheesy Smashed Potatoes by One Sweet Appetite
Chutneywale Aloo by Food Trails
Gnocchi with Sage and Pancetta by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Hearty Beef and Potato Soup by Tip Garden
Individual Pommes Anna by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Loaded Cincinnati Potato by Palatable Pastime
Loaded Mac and Cheese Stuffed Baked Potatoes by Big Bear’s Wife
Paleo Zuppa Toscana by Frugal & Fit
Potato and Spinach Curry by Savory Moments
Potato Dinner Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cheese Curd in Paradise
Spinach Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Baking Fairy
Ingredients for Chutney wale Aloo
To make Chutney wale Aloo, you can use boiled baby potatoes or any other regular potatoes. While making this dish to be served as starter, I prefer to make with baby potatoes. Cut regular potatoes in bite sized cubes to make the dish.
Green chutney is made with fresh cilantro/coriander and mint leaves.Recipe here. Skip garlic from green chutney if you want a no-onion no-garlic dish. Many people in India, avoid food with onion and garlic and many do it on some festivals. These chutney wale aloo is a perfect dish to cook something different other than your usual potato recipe.
Other spices used are cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and dry mango powder. All the spices are available at most of the grocery store outside India. Dry Mango powder is available at India grocery store. You can also use lemon juice if it is not available . You can also use lemon and pepper seasoning to give a tangy flavor to the dish.
How to make Chutneywale Aloo
First step is to boil potatoes. Wash potatoes nicely and boil it in pressure cooker or in open pan. I boil potatoes in stove-top pressure cooker, till one whistle, then let the pressure go on it’s own. The potatoes used for the dish should not be over boiled, as the dish won’t taste good with over soft potatoes.
Make green chutney. For that grind all the ingredients under chutney section. Adjust green chillies level in chutney as per your heat tolerance.
Many people like to deep fry boiled potatoes and then saute the potatoes in spices and chutney. I do not deep fry potatoes, just saute it and add all the dry powdered spices except amchur powder as we add it in end..
Squeeze some lemon juice and chaat masala( another Indian spice mix for snacks and starters).
Some more recipes with baby potatoes that you will surely enjoy
Let’s see in detail how I make this spicy and tangy Chutneywale Aloo
Chutney Wale Aloo
- 8-10 Baby Potatoes or 2 Large potatoes
For Green Chutney
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- Fresh Ginger Piece(small)
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
For Tempering Potatoes
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1-2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder adjust as per your preference
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½-1 tsp Dry Mango Powder/Amchur
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1-2 tsp Tamarind Chutney optional
- Wash potatoes nicely and boil it in pressure cooker or in open pan. I boil potatoes in stove-top pressure cooker, till one whistle, then let the pressure go on it's own.
- Make green chutney. For that grind all the ingredients under chutney section. Adjust green chillies level in chutney as per your heat tolerance.
- To boil in pan, add enough water, and boil potatoes till soft and skin starts to come out. Use a tooth pick or fork to check whether the potatoes are done.
Make Green Chutney
- Grind all the ingredients under the chutney section to a smooth paste. Add 1-2 tbsp of water if required.
- Wash Mint and cilantro/coriander leaves very nicely. Take out the thick stem only keep the tender ones with the leaves.
- In a non-stick pan r kadhai, add oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds.
- When seeds crackle, add boiled potatoes and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the powder spices under spices section, except dry mango powder.
- Cook for 2 minutes, keep sauteing potatoes. After 2-3 minutes switch off the flame.
- Add chutney, as required and dry mango powder and mix it well with potatoes.
- Add tamarind chutney and mix well. This is optional, I like to add it as it gives a tangy and a bit sweet taste to potatoes.
- Squeeze some lemon/lime juice and serve hot as starter or with fresh hot chapatis or any bread of your choice.
Do make this spicy dish with potatoes,you can make some yogurt based sauce to relish as starter. Or this can also be served as side with any lentil curry like Dal Tadka and fresh hot chapatis.
Easy to make spicy and tangy potatoes are Gluten-free, Vegan and low in oil. Adjust the spice level if there are kids, and trust me these will be a hit among every age group at your parties and gatherings. A dish that is a crowd pleaser and can be served at potlucks too.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!