Learn how to make easy and gluten-free starter Cajun Potato for your parties| Cajun Potatoes Recipe
Crispy roasted potatoes with aromatic herbs served with the topping of chilli mayo dip and garnished with onions, make one of the easiest and delicious party snack. A make ahead, gluten-free snack that you can make vegan friendly too!!
What are Cajun Potatoes
Baby Potatoes boiled then baked with olive oil, garlic and other herbs(Cajun Season). These are usually served as starters or snacks at parties and get-togethers. Barbeque Nation is a famous Restaurant Chain in India, which made it popular among the Indian masses.
We had our first taste of Cajun Potatoes in India at Barbeque Nation. I still remember years back when we had gone there I think for the first time, we were served these as starters. We were told that this is something signature of BBQ Nation, especially for their vegetarian customers (along with the Crispy Corn). We tasted it and immediately asked for another serving. After that whenever we went to BBQ Nation this was something my vegetarian hubby looked for.
I never actually tried these at home until we moved to USA and then one day when we were talking about the food and the outlets we miss here, these potatoes came to my mind and I thought of trying it out. I searched the net and came across a few recipes where it was mentioned to fry the potatoes to give its characteristic crisp. There were recipes with roasted Cajun Potato recipes but these were not served with mayo chill sauce.
When I made these for the first time, I deep-fried the potatoes in oil but those came out to be too oily. So now I bake potatoes in olive oil and herbs and the top it with some more seasoning and chilli mayo sauce and enjoy these. You can also AIR FRY these potatoes.
Do checkout my Smashed Potato Chaat recipe, where I have used air fried the potatoes in my recipe.
Checkout these delicious recipes with baby potatoes from the blog..
Let’s see how I make Cajun Potatoes
Recipe Card for Cajun Potatoes
- 12-15 nos. Baby Potatoes
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil or use any flavourless oil
Cajun Spice Mix
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt as required
Creamy Mayo Chilli Sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp Mayonnise use eggless or with egg
- 1-2 tsp Chilli Sauce use as required
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly until cleaned off all the dirt and boil until 3/4 done. Boil potatoes in an open pan so that you can keep a check on the softness. We don’t want over boiled/soft potatoes. Avoid boiling in the pressure cooker.
- Once the potatoes are 3/4 done and cooled, press each potato flat using a potato masher.
- Make the seasoning. In a bowl mix olive oil, parsley, garlic powder, red hot sauce, red hot sauce and salt. Coat smashed potatoes with the seasoning.
- Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 375 °F/ 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp.
- Prepare mayo chilli sauce by mixing mayonnaise, curd, sour cream, red hot pepper sauce, tomato ketchup and chilli flakes.
- Once baked, take out of the oven, season with some more herbs, take out in the serving tray and serve hot with mayo chilli sauce garnished with chopped onion
- I bake these potatoes if you want you can fry potatoes in little oil in a pan until crisp.
- Paprika/ Chilli Powder can be used in place of Red Hot sauce, adjust as per your spice level.
- Any type of Mayonnaise can be used (with eggs / eggless).
- I have used thick curd while making this sauce/dip, you can substitute with an equal quantity of mayo and sour cream.
- For Vegan version, use any vegan cream like cashew cream.
Step-wise Method Pics
I am sure you will enjoy these potatoes as much as we do. I made these today again for Friday evening along with garlic bread and all of our favorite Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato soup.. as it’s weekend beginning and no one in the house wants an everyday dal-rot-subzi in dinner (ideal Indian dinner of lentils chappati and a side dish). It’s a make ahead, easy and no fuss dish can be made for parties and potlucks!!
Taking my baked Cajun Potatoes to Dec’18 Bake-A-Thon Day 6.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!