I had my first taste of Cajun Potatoes in India at Barbeque Nation. I still remember years back when we had gone there I think for the first time, we were served these as starters. We were told that this is something signature of BBQ Nation, especially for their vegetarian customers (along with the Crispy Corn coming up next). The crispy roasted potatoes with aromatic herbs served with the topping of chilli mayo dip and garnished with onions, take these roasted potatoes to another level!!! We tasted it and immediately asked for another serving. After that whenever we went to BBQ Nation this was something my vegetarian hubby looked for.
I never actually tried these at home until we moved to USA and then one day when we were talking about the food and the outlets we miss here these potatoes came to my mind and I thought of trying it out. I searched the net and came across a few recipes where it was mentioned to fry the potatoes to give its characteristic crisp. I also came across a few roasted Cajun Potato recipes but these were not served with mayo chill sauce.
When I made these for the first time, I deep-fried the potatoes in oil but those came out to be too oily. So now I bake potatoes in olive oil and herbs and the top it with some more seasoning and chilli mayo sauce and enjoy these.
Let’s see how I make these.
- 12-15 nos. Baby Potatoes
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil or use any flavourless oil
Cajun Spice Mix
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt as required
Creamy Mayo Chilli Sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp Mayonnise use eggless or with egg
- 1-2 tsp Chilli Sauce use as required
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly until cleaned off all the dirt and boil until 3/4 done. Boil potatoes in an open pan so that you can keep a check on the softness. We don't want over boiled/soft potatoes. Avoid boiling in the pressure cooker.
- Once the potatoes are 3/4 done and cooled, press each potato flat using a potato masher.
- Make the seasoning. In a bowl mix olive oil, parsley, garlic powder, red hot sauce, red hot sauce and salt. Coat smashed potatoes with the seasoning.
- Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 375 °F/ 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp.
- Prepare mayo chilli sauce by mixing mayonnaise, curd, sour cream, red hot pepper sauce, tomato ketchup and chilli flakes.
- Once baked, take out of the oven, season with some more herbs, take out in the serving tray and serve hot with mayo chilli sauce garnished with chopped onion
- I bake these potatoes if you want you can fry potatoes in little oil in a pan until crisp.
- Paprika/ Chilli Powder can be used in place of Red Hot sauce, adjust as per your spice level.
- Any type of Mayonnaise can be used (with eggs / eggless).
- I have used thick curd while making this sauce/dip, you can substitute with an equal quantity of mayo and sour cream.
I am sure you will enjoy these potatoes as much as we do. I made these today again for Friday evening along with garlic bread and all of our favorite Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato soup.. as it’s weekend beginning and no one in the house wants an everyday dal-rot-subzi in dinner (ideal Indian dinner of lentils chappati and a side dish). It’s a make ahead, easy and no fuss dish can be made for parties and potlucks!!
Taking my baked Cajun Potatoes to Dec’18 Bake-A-Thon Day 6.
Do give me your feedback and when you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my FoodTrails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.