Smashed Potato Chaat Recipe | Sweet and Spicy Smashed Potato Tikki Chaat Recipe
Crispy Smashed Potato Aloo Tikki Chaat is an easy peasy version of your favourite Aloo Tikki Chaat..
It's a low oil version of your favourite street food from North India. Not only for Tikki chaat you can use these smashed potatoes with herbs of your choice for snacking with your evening tea.
Crispy from outside and creamy from inside loaded with flavors this is a must try light and refreshing chaat recipe.
These days the lockdown going on due to the virus situation, you can make this quick and oil version whenever you have chaat or some street food cravings.
Potato is one the easiest availabe vegetable and can be stored for a longer time. This a very versatile vegetable which is used in making curries, snacks and other food items. Whenever in doubt what to make for meals there are a no. of recipes which we can make with this humble vegetable.
Ingredients for Smashed Aloo Tikki Chaat
Aloo Tikki is one of the famous street food from North India. Shallow fried potato patties served with sweet and spicy chutneys, with or without yogurt and spices like roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and chaat masala. Checkout my Moong Dal Stuffed Aloo Tikki recipe
Potatoes- For smashed potato chaat, baby potatoes are my preferred choice, but it is not availabe you can cut the large potatoes in quarters (or as required).
For smashed potatoes, choose potatoes which have thin skin/peel as we do not peel the potatoes. That is baby potatoes are preferred choice for making smashed potato or roasted potato dishes.
Spices- Roasted Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Amchur/Dry Ginger Powder, Chaat Masala
Yogurt- For topping on smashed potatoes
Herbs-Dried Mint and fresh coriander/cilantro for topping
How to make Smashed Potatoes for Tikki Chaat
It is very important to wash the potatoes very nicely, to clean off all the dirt, since we do not peel off the skin.
After washing, cook potatoes till al dente(70-80%). I pressure cook baby potatoes for 1 whistle. Then switch off the stove and let the pressure come down naturally. This way potatoes are not over cooked. You can also boil potatoes in a open pan for 10 mins.
After boiling potatoes, drain and let it cool completely.
In a mixing bowl, add oil, spices( roasted cumin powder, dried mint leaves, red chilli powder, salt, amchur ) and mix well. Keep some for brushing later on potatoes while baking.
Add boiled potatoes, coated very nicely in spices.
Oil a baking tray nicely. Do not use any parchment paper or foil.
Line potatoes with some spacing in between. Do not stack potatoes.
Lightly press potatoes with a fork or potato smasher and brush again with oil and spice mix.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C or 400F for 15 mins each from both sides.
Assemble Samshed Potato Chaat
Arrange smashed potatoes in a plate/serving dish. Top it with yogurt, chutneys an spices. You can also add finely chopped onions , chopped green chilies, nylon sev and papdi for the crunch.
Other Serving suggestions
Smashed potatoes can also be served with simple yogurt dip and chutneys on side.
Another delicious way of serving smashed potatoes, is Cajun Potatoes.. smashed potatoes with creamy mayo topping in Cajun spices.
We love having potatoes fresh from oven and the batch finishes off the same day. If making a big batch for party or get together, you can boil and keep potatoes a day ahead and then bake before serving. You can prepare potatoes in herbs and spices ahead of serving and then bake/ re-heat just before serving.
Recipe Card for Samshed Potato Chaat
Samshed Potato Chaat
- 24-30 Baby Potatoes 1.5lbbag /700g
Spices and Herbs
- 1-2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Amchur/Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil or any good flavorless plant based oil
Assemble Smashed Potato Chaat
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- ½ Cup Mint Coriander Chutney
- ½ Cup Tamarind Chutney
- 1 tsp Raw Cane Sugar or Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Potato(optional) to sprinkle on top
- Chaat Masala as required
- Fresh Coriander/Cilantro finely chopped for garnish
- ½ Cup Nylon Sev
- Whole Wheat Papdi as required
- Pomegranate Arils for topping
Prepare Oven Roasted /Smashed Potatoes
- Wash and clean potatoes very nicely in running tap water. Soak for 10 mins. this way it is easy to clean potato of dirt.
- In a open pan add enough water to soak potatoes and boil for about 15-20 mins on medium flame. Check with a fork if it is soft enough.
- To cook potatoes in Indian Style Pressure cooker, cook potatoes till 3-4 whistles in medium flame and then let the pressure come down on it's own.
- Drain water and cool potatoes completely.
- In a mixing bowl mix together oil and spices mentioned under smashed potato section.
- Add potatoes and mix coating all potatoes nicely in spices and oil.
- Smash potatoes with fork or a small bowl or use potato masher.
- Preheat oven /otg at 400°F or 200°F. For OTG keep the baking mode with both rods mode on.
- Take a baking tray and brush oil on it nicely. Do not use a parchment paper /aluminum foil.
- Line potatoes on it avoiding stacking and overcrowding. Keep some space in between the potatoes.
- Once more brush little leftover oil potatoes again(if any left).
- Bake at 400F/200C from both sides 15 mins each.
Assemble Smashed Potato Chaat
- Beat yogurt to smooth mix. Add a tsp of sugar, chaat masala, red chilli powder(if using). Add salt carefully as we added salt while roasting potatoes.
- To serve as chaat, spread 1-2 tbsp of yogurt on dish plate.
- Place 5-6 roasted potatoes in serving dish/plate.
- Top with more yogurt, chutneys and finely chopped coriander and pomegranate arils.
- Also, add nylon sev and crushed papdi.
- (Optional)Add some boiled masala chickpeas for a more filling and nutritious smashed potato tikki chaat.
- Serve immediately.
Do try this lip smacking Smashed Potato Chaat. It's perfect for get together with friends for movie night or game night. Make smashed potatoes ahead of your parties and then assemble chaat and serve when guests arrive. Skip adding chilli powder to make it kid friendly.
I am sure you and your loved ones will surely like this Crispy Smashed Potato Tikki Chaat as much as me and my family loves it.
Tagging to my Facebook group Foodies Monday Bloghop , where the theme this week is Lockdown Recipes. Narmadha who blogs at Nams Corner suggested the theme and asked all the participant bloggers to use availabe ingredients at home and make lip smacking dishes during lockdown.
Do checkout her space which is a treasure of healthy vegetarian and non vegetarian recipes . I loved her coin potato recipe in air fryer and have bookmarked it to try out soon. She made this for the theme Curd Rice.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!