Baked Mexican Tortillas filled with boiled potato(aloo) and black chickpeas(kale chane) dressed in spicy and tangy chutneys, yogurt and garnished with chickpea noodles(sev). A simple and interesting way of serving our favourite Aloo papdi in a mexican avatar. Fusion of the Mexican and Indian Cuisine. Add Kale Chane or black chickpeas for the increased nutrient value. A filling, easy and tasty snack for after school hours, parties and movie or game nights. My kids love this version of aloo chaat. My daughter loves it topped with spicy green Chutney and tamarind chutney without yogurt and my son loves to top it with yogurt and tangy tamarind chutney which he calls Meethi chutney(Sweet Chutney). I also add pomegranate seeds to the potato and black chickpea mix. Skipped for the post as I didn't had any in my refrigerator today.
What I need to make The Taco Chaat..
To make this super easy Taco chaat, all we need are soft tortillas, boiled potatoes, boondi, sev and boiled kale chane, you can skip these or can add boiled chickpeas. You can also use hard shell Tacos. The soft tortillas are baked, cooled and then filled with the aloo and chana filling.
For Green chutney recipe click here . Sweet and tangy tamarind chutney can be made at home or use store bought. It is available at the Indian Grocery stores. The homemade recipe shall soon update. Boondi and Sev are also available at Indian grocery stores. These are a must have along with tamarind chutney to get the authentic chaat flavor. Spicy green chutney(Cilantro and Mint Chutney) is also added to get the spicy kick.
Let's see how I made these Aloo Chana Taco Chaat..
Aloo Kala Chana Taco Chaat
- 8 Soft Tortillas(small size) or Taco shells
- 2 Boiled Potatoes medium
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Kale Chane
- 1/2 Cup Boondi
- Sev for garnish
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- Green Chutney
- Tamarind Chutney
- Pre-heat oven to 325F or 160C.
- To bake the tortillas in form of taco shells, arrange on the inverted muffin tray. Brush with little oil. You can add very little salt and red chilli powder to it.
- Bake tortillas for 8-10 minutes at 325F/160C. If you want crisp shell bake 2 minutes extra.Take care the edges don't burn.
- Once done, take out the tortilla out of oven and keep aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the aloo channa filing.
- Roughly mash potatoes, add kale chana, onions chaat masala(or cumin+dry mango mix) , red chilli powder, onions and boondi.
- Add sugar/honey and 1-2 tbsp of water to yogurt and beat lightly to make it smooth.
- Stuff in the cooled taco and top it with yogurt, chutneys and sev. Serve immediately.
- To make ahead filling mix potatoes with kale chan, chaat masala. Add salt, onions and boondi just before serving.
- Sev is chickpea fried noodles that are used as snack or topping in chaat dishes.
- Boondi is fried chickpea puffed balls, added to curd or some curries.
- Sev and Boondi are available at Indian Grocery stores.
Variations for the taco chaat..
- Fry boiled potatoes in oil with cumin seeds and salt.
- You can also add potato tater tots incase you don't have boiled potatoes in hand and want a quick recipe.
Try these fusion tacos today, I am sure your kids and everyone in the family will love these will want again. Do add some pomegranate seeds as these add a sweet fruity touch to the chaat.
Sharing these with my blogging marathon group for #97Blogging Marathon week 4 day 2 theme Fusion at it's Best!!
My first recipe for the theme... Chilli Idli(Fusion of Indian Idli and Indo-Chinese flavors)
Other fusion recipes.. Spicy Paneer Pizza
Do let me know your feedback on the recipe.
Whenever you try these , do post a picture of the dish. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!