Learn how to make Indian Style Crispy Masala Papdi/Crackers(Air-fried and Baked)
Video Recipe Link-->CLICK HERE
Make Crispy Masala Papdi or Whole Wheat Crackers with Indian flavors. A tea-time or any time guilt free munching snack. Kids-friendly and Vegan friendly recipe, with added goodness of sesame seeds.
What is Papdi
Papdi is a deep fried Indian cracker. Crispy Masala Papdi is my take on the famous Papdi. Plain Papadis are more commonly served with yogurt or curd based or in Bhel Poori. A good tea time snack and loved by grown-ups and kids alike.
Kids love to munch this just like that and it is also enjoyed with pickles or chutneys along with tea. Many people make big batches of it during festivals like Holi and Diwali and it is served to guests and visitors along with tea. In North India it is also known as Masala Nimki. The unique taste of this snack comes from the fresh Methi or Cilantro/Coriander leaves.
Fried Vs Baked or Air Fried
Here I present you a healthy version along with traditional deep fried one. Since these days due to lifestyle changes and other factors, it is better to stay away from deep fried snack and people are turning towards the less or no oil healthy version. Baking is one way to make turn traditional deep fried snacks into guilt free version. These days as Air-fryers are gaining popularity it is very convenient to make such guilt free snacks that can be relished by all the age groups.
Homemade Guilt Free Snacks
These are non-fried and low in oil and made with all the nutritious ingredients. With two kids around an eight year old brat and teenager who has long studying hours, I always keep a batch nutritious snacks ready. These also work well for our evening Tea when Rajeev comes back from work and also takes care of kids' untimely hunger pangs or when they want to munch on something just like that.
Snacks like Chana Murmura, Baked Chickpeas, Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Crackers or Methi Mathri, Crispy Masala Peanuts, Poha Chivda are some of the few snacks that make in rotation so that we don't get bored with the same routine ones. These dry snacks can also be packed for kids snacks boxes or carried to work easily.
The best part about the Homemade snacks is that I know the ingredients that go into making.. fresh and healthy and make it as per the taste and nutritional requirements of my family.
Air-fryer Masala Papdis
Since the time I bought Air Fryer, I now avoid deep fried snacks and make in air fryer. Like the recent Crispy Vegetables Chinese Style, Rajma and Spinach Tikkis, Aloo Tikkis/Mix Vegetable Cutlets for burgers, Kurkuri (Crispy) Bhindi, Falafel and many more. Have to yet update the recipes with air fried version.
With the convivence of air fryer I can now make roasted mix nuts trails like this Makhana Mixed Nut Namkeen, which is again a quick and fuss-free way.
In winters or when the weather starts turning cool I add some sesame seeds too as these are good bones and hair and skin and help to keep body warm during winters. Skip these in summers as Sesame Seeds generate heat in body that is not good during summers. Elders back home always cooked and used ingredients as preseason. In summers they also avoided Fresh Methi leaves and added finely chopped coriander leaves to these crispy Papadis.
Tagging my Baked Crispy Masala Papdis to my Healthy Wellthy facebook group, where the theme this fortnight is Savoury Snacks #SavouryAffairatHWCG. The theme was suggested by Shalu who blogs at Sunny Family Kitchen . Do hop on to her blog to easy doable and delicious recipes.
Also checkout what my fellow bloggers have got for the theme..
Falafel by Narmadha
Matar Karanji by Poonam
Spicy Crisped Chickpeas by Sasmita
Namakpare by Shalu
Let's see how I make these Crispy Masala Papdi
Video Recipe Link-->CLICK HERE
Simple steps of Mix the Whole Wheat Flour and Semolina along with spice and then knead the flour with fresh finely chopped leaves with cold water.
Keep the dough to rest for 10-15 minutes. Roll out the dough and cut circles with help of cookie cutter.
Air fry for 10-12 minutes at 350°F or 180°C. You can also bake these in oven at the same temperature for 10 mins.
For deep frying, deep fry the batch in medium hot oil, till the time Papdi start turning light brown.
Take out on a paper tissue or kitchen towel .Once cool, store in an air-tight container.
Tips to make Crispy Papdi--
- Rub oil well in flour before adding leaves.
- Knead flour with cold water and get a tight dough.
- Keep in air-tight container, baked Papdi stays good for about 10-15 days and fried ones for about a month.
Recipe Card for Crispy Masala Papdi
Crsipy Masala Papdi(Baked)
- Air Fryer
- for Deep Frying Kadhaior Heavy Bottomed Pan
- Rolling Pin
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat flour
- ¼ Cup Semolina
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds/Ajwain
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Flakes
- Salt to Taste
- 1-2 tbsp Sesame Seeds optional
- 2-3 tbsp Oil/Desi Ghee
- ¾ Cup Finely Chopped Fenugreek Leaves optional
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro Leaves optional
- In a mixing bowl mix together whole wheat flour, semolina, caraway seeds, red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Now add oil and rub the flour mix with fingers to get breadcrumb kind of consistency.
- Take fistful of flour, if it binds together, then the flour is ready to knead. Else add a tsp of oil/ghee in it.
- Add finely chopped fresh fenugreek leaves and mix well in flour.
- Knead with cold water. I used around 1 cup of water to knead 2 +¼ Cups of total flour as fenugreek leaves also give out water..
- Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- When ready to make, divide the dough into equal portions for rolling.
- Roll each portion thinly, sprinkle sesame seeds over the rolled dough and again roll it a bit pressing the seeds on dough.
- Now with a cookie cutter, cut out the circles. Keep the cutouts covered with a damp towel or napkin so that it doesn't dries out.
- Swtich on Air- fryer, at 350F or 180 C and set the timer for 12 minutes, Add Papadis when it indicates ADD FOOD.
- After 8 minutes check whether Papdi are done or not. Air fry till the Papdi start turning light brown.
- Cool and the store it in air tight container.
Do try these healthy Baked Masala Papdi, I am sure you will love this guilt-free baked version Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. Whenever you make this, do post on my FB page or tag me on Instagram. Pin the recipes for later use.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!