Makhana Namkeen, a healthy mix of roasted makhana(fox nut/lotus seeds) with nuts like cashew nuts, raisins.
It is commonly made as a snack item for evening tea and also during the fasting festivals like Navratri and Shivaratri. this healthy and tasty snack can also be served to your guests, given to kids to satisfy their hunger pangs or packed while travelling.
What is Namkeen
Namkeen, meaning in Hindi language is something savoury. In India is referred the savoury snacks (fried or roasted) that are served with tea and also eaten to satisfy the salty cravings. Namkeen are mostly dry snacks that fried and can be stored for over a month's period depending on the ingredient used. Some common and popular namkeens are various forms of bhujia(chickpeas noodles), dry fruit mixtures, Poha Chivda(roasted flattened rice mixture with dry fruits), Chana Murmura and many more.
A gluten-free healthy snack for everyday and everyone.
Today I am here with recipe of a very easy namkeen/snack made with mix of Makhana(fox nuts), dry fruits(like raisins,cranberries) and nuts and seeds(like cashew nuts, sunflower seeds). This is a no fuss recipe is ready within minutes. Add the ingredients as per your choice and availability. I have used Fox nuts(Makhana), Cashew nuts, Cranberries, Raisins with some sunflower seeds. This is one the dry snacks that I make in rotation to Poha Chivda and Chana Murmura. These come in handy during their exam time when they need something filling and nutritious to munch on while studying, during their vacations or while travelling when they need have the cravings to just munch on something. Grown ups can pack for their snack time and munch while on work.
How nutritious is this trail mix..
The nuts and seeds and the seeds used in this trail mix are healthy, gluten-free and suitable for vegans. These are rich in antioxidants, minerals like potassium, copper, magnesium, calcium and selenium. Makhana or fox nuts are rich in fibres and proteins and have anti-ageing properties and helps in balancing the sugar levels.
Let's see how I make this no fuss, healthy and easy namkeen..Makhana Namkeen(Fox nut Trail Mix)
Makhana Namkeen(Fox Nut Trail Mix)
- 1.5 Cup Makhana/Fox Nuts/Lotus Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds/Melon Seeds/Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Raisins and Cranberries
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala or Amchur Powder(Dry Mango Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ghee/Oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- In a kadhai or heavy bottomed pan dry roast makhanas. Check by crushing Makhana between index finger and thumb. It should be crisp. Once done take out in a dry bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add ghee, add curry leaves, cashews, seeds with red chilli powder and roast till they give aroma.
- Add makhana, raisins and cranberries and mix in the dry spices(chaat masala, salt and sugar).
- Mix well till the spices coat the nuts and seeds. Keep the flame to medium and take care not to burn the nuts and seeds.
- Take out in a bowl or plate and store in an airtight container once completely cool down.
- For fasting days add Sendha Namak. You can also avoid the dry masalas as per your dietary preferences.
- Add any nuts/seeds of your choice. You can Almonds and pistachios and peanuts also.
- If having nut allergies, add only seeds.
- If Chaat Masala is not available to you, mix 1 tsp of cumin powder and 1 tsp of amchur(dry mango) powder.
- Avoid Red chilli powder or add as required when making for kids.
So make this healthy trail mix for any time munching, pack it while travelling or during fasting. Store it in an airtight container, it stays good for over a month, but trust me, it finishes off well before time.
When fasting you can add Sendha Namak, omit chaat masala(as per your dietary preferences) .
Also, linking the post to A-Z recipe Challenge group, where the letter this month is 'F'. Here all the fellow bloggers will be sharing dishes that have the main ingredient that starts with letter F and my ingredient is FoxNut (Makhana).
Hope you will like my way of making this Makhana Namkeen(Fox nut Trail Mix). Check out my other recipes with Makhana.. Makhane Matar aur Kaju Ki subzi(Uttar Pradesh Special), Dry Fruits aur Makhane Ki Kheer and Makhane ki Panjiri.
Do give feedback in comments and whenever you make these do share the pics on my FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails by following the blog and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by. Keep coming back.