Makhane Matar Aur Kaju Ki Subzi recipe | Learn how to make Makhana Matar and Kaju ki subzi
A delicious, no onion , garlic easy and quick curry with with Makhana/Lotus Seeds, Green Peas and Cashew nuts in tomato gravy
Makhane Matar Aur Kaju Ki Subzi is an ultimate delight from North Indian states especially U.P and Bihar. The dish is mostly prepared during festivals, functions and parties for special occasions.
Traditionally, Makhane (Fox Nuts/Lotus Nuts), Matar (Peas), Kaju (Cashew Nuts) are fried in ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) and then added to a rich Khoya (evaporated milk solids) gravy made with tomatoes without or without onions. This dish has lot calories as the gravy is prepared in Ghee and Khoya and has Kaju and Makhane. But trust me it is worth giving a try and you will always include it in your menu on special occasions.
Here I am presenting to you the low-calorie version where I skip deep-frying the nuts and add milk powder instead of khoya. MAny times Khoya is not available and also for daily meals when we want something light not very rich food. But, yes whenever I make it for some party or special guests then once in a while I lightly roast the nuts in ghee and add khoya. Depends on the occasion.
Also, I have adapted making no-onion no-garlic version of it and keep it on the semi dry side, we like it this way and enjoy with hot chapatis, pooris or paranthas.and if you increase the curry in the dish it goes well with Jeera rice, or pair it with Moti Pulao for festive treat.
Ingredients for Makhane Matar Aur Kaju Ki Subzi
Makhane or Lotus Seeds / Fox Nuts are one of the most nutritious ingredients.For nutritional benefits of Makhane and other recipes using these healthy seeds, checkout Makhana-The Super Food.
You can use fresh Peas if available or use frozen. Green peas are rich source of protein, and minerals like potassium, magnesium and calcium.
Khoya adds rich texture to this dish.I have used milk powder in recipe. Desi ghee and whole Indian spices(cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, whole black peppers and cloves) make the dish so aromatic and heavenly divine.
Tomatoes add the much-needed tanginess and a nice color to the dish. Many people skip tomatoes and make this curry with khoya and cream. My family loves tomato based curries especially kids, so I add it in this curry.
I add Kitchen King Masala to the dish instead of garam masala. It adds up the flavor in the dish. It is available at all the Indian Grocery stores. If you don’t have this masala you can add garam masala or my home-made Kadhai masala mix.
Let’s see how I make this yumm… Makhane Matar Aur Kaju Ki Subzi
Detailed Ingredients and Method in Recipe Card
If you want to increase the gravy then increase tomatoes, ¼ Cup of milk powder to 1/2 cup milk powder. Add water and cream(if adding) accordingly to adjust the consistency.
I use desi ghee to make this dish, you can use any flavorless oil.
Roast nuts nicely till they give aroma.
After adding milk powder add water and mix it well to avoid lump formation. You can add 1/4 cup crumbled khoya instead of milk powder.
Please refer to the pics below for the process of making the dish.
I have roasted cashews that I added to the dish, pic missing below. Roast the un-roasted cashews.
Recipe Card for Makhane Matar Kaju Ki Subzi
Makhane Matar Aur Kaju Ki Subzi
- Kadhai / Pan
- 1 Cup Lotus Seeds/Fox Nuts(Makhane)
- ¾ Cup Peas (Matar)
- ¼ Cup Cashew Nuts (Kaju) or as preferred
- 3-4 Tomatoes(Medium) or use Tomato Sauce
- 1" piece Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chilies
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder(Lal Mirch Powder) or as per spice level
- 1-2 tsp Kitchen King Masala(optional) use 1 tsp if using garam masala
- ½ - 1 tsp Garam Masala (if not using Kitchen King Masala)
- ¼-½ Cup Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery/Sugar
- ¼ tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Big Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon (small stick)
- 3-4 Black Pepper
- 3-4 Cloves
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Dry roast kaju and makhane separately. If you want, you can deep fry or lightly fry in a tbsp of oil.
- Boil the peas for a minute or till these are soft. You can pressure cook peas to one whistle in Indian Pressure Cooker.OR use frozen peas.
- Puree tomato, ginger and green chilies. You can use tomato sauce/puree. Grind ginger and green chillies separately.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil.Add cumin seeds when the seeds splutter, add tomato gravy and sugar/jaggery, cook till the oil starts separating.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, kitchen king or garam masala(if not adding kitchen king). Cook the masala for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk powder and mix well. Add 2-3 Tbsp of water so that the milk powder mixes well into the masala.
- Add peas and ½ cup water, cover the pan and cook peas for another 2-3 minutes.
- After that add lotus seeds(makhane) mix well in masala/gravy and add cashews.Add some water if the gravy is too thick and finally add 2 Tbsp of cream.
- Dry roast dry fenugreek leaves(kasuri methi), crush it and add to gravy and mix.
This is no-onion no-garlic recipe so can be enjoyed by those who have onion and garlic restrictions in their diet. You can also make it during Navratri if you avoid onion and garlic in your diet. Add tomatoes as per your preference fasting food. It also is gluten-free.
When it is festival time or any special occasion, have guests coming over do make this easy curry with readily available ingredients at home.
It goes well with any bread of your choice. Stuff some of it in the dinner roll and enjoy the meal!!
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!