Last Updated on
Dry Fruit aur Makhane Ki Kheer(Fox Nut Pudding with Nuts)
Dry Fruit aur Makhane Ki Kheer(Fox Nut Pudding with Nuts)..pudding prepared with Makhane/Fox nuts in thickened milk made especially during fasting festivals/days like Navratri, Shivratri, Krishna Janmashtami.
Makhane are puffed lotus seeds or fox nuts and are easily digestible. My mom always made this during her Navratri fasts. I make it quite often, not only during fasting days and my kids love to have it chilled whereas I and my hubby like it warm. Roasted nuts like almonds, cashew nuts and makhane/fox nuts with raisins give it a nice aroma and flavor.My kids also like having roasted in butter and lightly salted makhane and say it tastes like popcorn.
Check out the Makhana recipe Collection with sweet and savory healthy and nutritious Makhana/Foxnut dishes.
What are Makhane/Makhana
For those who don’t now about fox nuts, these are lotus seeds and are largely found in India and some other Asian countries like Japan and Korea. Outside India, these are available at Indian Grocery stores.These are highly nutritious and also used for medicinal purposes. Makhane/Fox Nuts are high in fiber and have anti-oxidant properties.
How to make Dry Fruits and Makhane Ki Kheer
It is very easy to make this kheer and takes very less time to prepare. Roast all the nuts separately, including the fox nuts crush coarsely and add to the boiling thickened milk. Cook till the kheer thickens. Many people like to add whole makhane along with crushed ones, but I add one or two just to add texture. Have it chilled or hot.
Let’s see how I make Dry Fruits and Makhane Ki Kheer
Makhane/Foxnuts/Louts Seeds– 1 cup
Mixed Nut–Almonds, Cashews– 1/2 cup
Coconut flakes or dry grated coconut–2 Tbsp
Sugar– around 1/4 cup or as required
Green Cardamom Powder–1/4 tsp(optional)
- Take milk in a thick bottomed pan and boil it on low flame. Keep stirring it.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Dry roast all the nuts separately except raisins. Many people like to roast nuts in a tsp of ghee you can do that if you want.
- To check if Makhane are roasted properly, take a piece and crush it with fingers.If it crushes easily it is done.
- Dry toast coconut on low flame, take care not to over roast it.
- Crush coarsely all the nuts and makhane/fox nuts.
- Add raisins, crushed nuts and makhane and at last coconut to milk, mix nicely keep on stirring.
- If you are adding the whole then add the whole ones first cook for 3-4 minutes till they start to soften and then add the crushed nuts.
- Add sugar and cook for next 4-5 minutes, while stirring in between.
- Switch off the flame, transfer to a serving dish.
Enjoy hot or chilled!!
Make this Makhane and dry fruit kheer, kids will love to have it chilled, a good way to feed nuts to fussy kids.
*Add 1/2 cup of milk powder to boiling milk after adding nuts if you want to thicken milk quickly.
*Adding coconut is optional, I like adding it, love the nutty flavor of coconut in the kheer, you can leave if you want.
Other Makhane based recipes from blog.. Makhane Ki Panjiri, Makhana Namkeen, Makhane Matar aur Kaju Ki subzi and many more to come.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!