Aloo Makhana aur Kaju Pops, an easy to make delicious snack recipe with boiled potatoes and goodness of Makhana or Lotus seeds and cashew nuts.
Makhana Kaju Pops are Gluten-free, Vegan(when made in oil) and Low Oil light snacks which can be made Appe pan/air fryer/baked in oven.
These are perfect as tea time snack when your are fasting or even on regular days. Make for your kids as an after school snack or serve these as starter with your favorite chutney for parties.
About the recipe
Aloo Makhana aur Kaju Pops are Vegan and Gluten-free snacks made with low oil. Good for kids' lunchbox or to serve as snacks with tea.
This gluten-free snack can be had during fasting days/vrat on festivals like Navaratri or Ekadashi. It is filling and also a nutritious when cooked in low oil. You can also bake/air fry or even fry these.
Here I used coarsely powdered makhana seeds to bind potatoes and cooked these pops in Appe pan with very less oil.
Benefits of Makhana and Potato
Makhana seeds are very popular in India especially during fasting days. Known to be the Super food , this is one ingredient that is loaded with fibers, minerals and vitamins and protein. It is also a very versatile ingredient that you can use to make desserts, snacks or curries. To checkout the health benefits of Lotus seeds and different recipes , check out Makhana The Super Food.
Aloo or potatoes are one of the most commonly used vegetable for making snacks. During fasting a lot of people use potatoes in curries and breads. Kids love potato based snacks. These are good source of carbohydrates, fiber and Vit. C.
Cashew nuts add crunch and a nutty taste to these pops and are a good source of protein, antioxidants and fibre. You can add coarsely ground roasted peanuts/almonds also.
Ingredients to make Aloo Makhana Kaju Pops
How to make Makhana Kaju Pops
- Dry Roast Makhana in apan. You can use 1 tsp oil/ghee.
- Coarsely grind makhana seeds in mixer or crush with rolling pin..
- Mash boiled potatoes, add powdered makhana, spices like cumin powder, finely chopped green leaves, green chillies and salt. Use Sendha Namak when fasting.
- Avoid green chillies if making for kids.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Shape into small pops or cutlets. Shallow fry in pan with oil/ghee or use appe pan.
- In Appe pan takes around 5-10 minutes.
Serving Suggestions for Makhana Kaju Pops
During fasting days you can have these with no onion no garlic chutney. Top it with yogurt and tamarind chutney for aloo chaat kind of treat!! Check out this Vrat ki Papdi Chaat for fasting days or for gluten-free chaat .
These are kids friendly pops, with no spice at all. Serve at your kids parties and a good to give to your toddlers(add powdered makhana and kaju). You can also deep fry or air fry these or shape like tikkis and shallow fry in pan.
Serve with spicy Mint Coriander chutney or Ketchup.
These taste best when served hot and fresh. You can refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container. Reheat in Appe pan on low heat. Brush pan with little oil or ghee. You can reheat in air fryer also at 160C or 320 F. Do not microwave these as it will become very dry and soggy. I didn't like it when I microwaved these.
Yes if you avoid potato in your diet you can replace these with sweet potato.
You can air fry these makhana pops and also bake in oven.
Brush/spray oil nicely on the pops, preheat air fryer or oven at 200C/400F and air fry/bake at the same temp. for 10-15 mins. Check after 10 mins.
Easy Vrat/Fasting Recipes(Savory)
Looking easy snacks and party
Recipe Card For Aloo Makhana Kaju Pops
Aloo Makhana aur Kaju Pops
- 2 Boiled Potatoes(Medium)
- 1 Cup Lotus or Fox-nut Seeds/Makhana
- 1-2 tbsp Finely Chopped Cashew nuts/Kaju
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder(optional)
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro/coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chaat Masala use as preference during fasting
- 1 tsp Garam Masala use when not fasting
- Oil for cooking pops(Shallow/deep) as required
- Coarsely grind makhana seeds in mixer or crush with rolling pin.
- Mash boiled potatoes, add powdered makhana, spices like cumin powder, finely chopped green leaves, green chillies and salt.
- Use Sendha Namak when fasting. Avoid green chillies if making for kids.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Shape into small pops or cutlets. Shallow fry in pan with oil/ghee or use appe pan.
- Serve with chutney or ketchup.
Do try these easy to make light and nutritious pops, these are so good as an after school snack, serve to your guests as starters or make during fasting days.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!