Sama Rice Pulao (gluten-free) with potatoes and dry fruits, made especially during fasting days.
People in India during the fasting days like the festival of Navratri, Shivratri , Janamashtami and several other occasions fast and abstain from cereals grain and salt. The consume satvik food(no-onion no-garlic) free of any gluten and grains and table salt. The most popular food items are apart from dry fruits makhana(Foxnuts), gluten-free grains, fruits and vegetables like potatoes sweet potatoes bottle gourd and pumpkin.
Sama Rice also known as Barnyard Millet is a gluten-free grain that is commonly consumed in India during the fasting days. In India people don’t eat grains when fasting, Sama Rice/ Barnyard Millet and alternatives like Chestnut flour, Sago/Tapioca Pearls are consumed. Sama Rice is rich in carbohydrates and proteins. Though it has the lowest amount of carbohydrates compared to other Millets. Barnyard Millet is also a rich source of Vitamin B Complex. It is a good meal option for people with gluten-intolerance.
How to prepare ..
Sama Ke Chawal(Rice) and Nuts Pulao is a simple no fuss dish that can be prepared in jiffy. Cooked Sama does not have separate grains like cooked rice. It is a bit mushy. To prepare sama, soak it for 20-30 minutes before preparing the rice. I use desi ghee to prepare the rice but you can use any good quality vegetable oil. Usually Indian food for fasting is prepared in desi ghee. You can cook it in pressure cooker or in a pan. In pan it will take little more time.
Ingredients for Pulao..
I add almonds and cashew nuts along with potatoes. Other vegetables like peas, carrots can also be added. People have lot of dietary restrictions when fasting add veggies as per choice and dietary preferences during fasting.
Can I make Sama Rice Pulao in Instant Pot
Sama Rice is a one pot meal, that can be made in Instant Pot also. Please see the recipe card.
Let’s see how I make Sama Rice Pulao..
Sama Rice Pulao(Fasting Recipe)
- 1/2 Cup Sama Rice
- 1 Potato
- 2-3 Curry Leaves
- 1-2 Green Chilies
- 1-2 Tsp Desi Ghee
- 2-3 Tbsp Mixed Nuts(Almonds, Cashew Nuts)
- Sendha Namak/Himalayan rock Salt as per taste
- Wash Sama Rice/Barnyard Millet in water. Soak rice for at least 30 mins.
- Cut potatoes in small cubes. Roughly chop the nuts.
- When ready to prepare, heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, saute for few seconds, add potatoes, and crushed
- Cook potatoes for a minute, Add the crushed nuts and saute.
- Add the soaked sama rice/millet. Add 1-1.5 Cups water. Cover and cook rice till is soft, properly cooked and water.
- If cooking in pressure cooker, cook till 1-2 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Fluff the rice lightly, have it with yogurt or Vrat ki kadhi.
Instant Pot Method
- Swtich on the saute Mode on high.
- Add ghee to the inner pot. Add curry leaves, green chillies. Saute potatoes and add nuts.
- Add sama rice and water. Add salt as per taste.
- Cancel the Saute Mode. Lock the lid, set the pressure cook mode on high.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes. Once the time is over, release the pressure and check the rice. fluff with fork.
- Serve hot.
- When making it for non-fasting days, add other vegetables like peas, cauliflower, carrots. It depends upon the dietary preferences. Many people add vegetables.
- You can add whole spices like cinnamon powder, bay leaf, cloves, black pepper and cumin to add more flavor.
- You can add table salt also. People add sendha namak as they restrict slat intake to sendha namak during fasting.
Try this Sama Rice/Barnyard Millet Pulao my way and I sure you will surely like this simple and Satvik meal.You can enjoy this with simple yogurt or Vart Ki kadhi when fasting. Pack in your lunchbox and enjoy this wholesome meal even when fasting.
Do let me know how you like the recipe for Barnyard Millet/ Sama Rice Pulao.
Whenever you try these , do post a picture of the dish. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!