Sama Rice Pulao or Vrat Ka Pulao Recipe | Gluten-free, Rice free Barnyard Millet Pulao Recipe
Sama Rice Pulao (gluten-free) with potatoes and dry fruits, made especially during fasting days. Pair it with Vrat ki Kadhi or Vrat Ke Aloo for a filling fasting meal.
Fasting Food and Festivals in India
People in India during the fasting days like the festival of Navratri, Shivratri , Janamashtami and several other occasions fast and abstain from cereals grain and salt. They consume satvik food(no-onion no-garlic) free of any gluten and grains and table salt. The most popular food items are apart from dry fruits makhana(Foxnuts), gluten-free grains, fruits and vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, bottle gourd and pumpkin. Check out the recipes Aloo Aur Shakarkandi Ki Chaat, Lauki Ki Sabzi, Khatta Meetha Kaddu.
Sama Ke Chawal/Vrat Ka Pulao
Sama Rice also known as Barnyard Millet is a gluten-free grain that is commonly consumed in India during the fasting days. In India people don't eat grains when fasting, Sama Rice/ Barnyard Millet and alternatives like Chestnut flour, Sago/Tapioca Pearls are consumed. Sama Rice is rich in carbohydrates and proteins, though it has the lowest amount of carbohydrates compared to other Millet. Barnyard Millet is also a rich source of Vitamin B Complex. It is a good meal option for people with gluten-intolerance.
How to prepare Sama Rice Pulao
Sama Ke Chawal(Rice) and Nuts Pulao is a simple no fuss dish that can be prepared in jiffy. Cooked Sama does not have separate grains like cooked rice. It is a bit mushy. To prepare sama, soak it for 10 minutes before preparing the rice. I use desi ghee to prepare the rice but you can use any good quality vegetable oil. Usually Indian food for fasting is prepared in desi ghee. You can cook it in pressure cooker or in a pan. In pan it will take little more time.
Ingredients for Sama Rice Pulao
I add almonds and cashew nuts along with potatoes. Other vegetables like peas, carrots can also be added. People have lot of dietary restrictions when fasting add veggies as per choice and dietary preferences during fasting.
Can I make Sama Rice Pulao in Instant Pot
Sama Rice is a one pot meal, that can be made in Instant Pot also. Please see the recipe card.
Recipe Card for Vrat Ka Pulao
Sama Rice Pulao(Fasting Recipe)
- ¼ Cup Sama Rice
- 1 Potato
- 2-3 Curry Leaves
- 1-2 Green Chilies
- 1-2 Tsp Desi Ghee
- 2-3 Tbsp Mixed Nuts(Almonds, Cashew Nuts)
- Sendha Namak/Himalayan rock Salt as per taste
- Wash Sama Rice/Barnyard Millet in water. Soak rice for at least 30 mins.¼ Cup Sama Rice
- Cut potatoes in small cubes. Roughly chop the nuts.1 Potato
- When ready to prepare, heat oil in a pan or kadhai.1-2 Tsp Desi Ghee
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, saute for few seconds, add potatoes, and crushed2-3 Curry Leaves, 1-2 Green Chilies
- Cook potatoes for a minute, Add the crushed nuts and saute.2-3 Tbsp Mixed Nuts(Almonds, Cashew Nuts)
- Add the soaked sama rice/millet. Add 1-1.5 Cups water. Cover and cook rice till is soft, properly cooked and water.Sendha Namak/Himalayan rock Salt as per taste
- If cooking in pressure cooker, cook till 1-2 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Fluff the rice lightly, have it with yogurt or Vrat ki kadhi.
Instant Pot Method
- Swtich on the saute Mode on high.
- Add ghee to the inner pot. Add curry leaves, green chillies. Saute potatoes and add nuts.
- Add sama rice and water. Add salt as per taste.
- Cancel the Saute Mode. Lock the lid, set the pressure cook mode on high.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes. Once the time is over, release the pressure and check the rice. fluff with fork.
- Serve hot.
- When making it for non-fasting days, add other vegetables like peas, cauliflower, carrots. It depends upon the dietary preferences. Many people add vegetables.
- You can add whole spices like cinnamon powder, bay leaf, cloves, black pepper and cumin to add more flavor.
- You can add table salt also. People add sendha namak as they restrict salt intake to sendha namak during fasting.
Stepwise pics for How to make Vrat Ka Pulao
Try this Sama Rice/Barnyard Millet Pulao my way and I sure you will surely like this simple and Satvik meal.You can enjoy this with simple yogurt or Vart Ki kadhi when fasting. Pack in your lunchbox and enjoy this wholesome meal even when fasting.
Do let me know how you like the recipe for Barnyard Millet/ Sama Rice Pulao.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!