Creamy rich and loaded with nuts and raisins, Makhane Ki Kheer or Makhana Kheer Recipe for fasting days and special occasions.
Detailed Written Recipe + Video of How to make Makhane ki Kheer
Dry Fruit aur Makhana Kheer or Makhane ki Kheer is a delicious creamy kheer or pudding made with the super Makhana and nuts like almonds, cashew nuts and raisins. It is prepared especially for vrat or fasting days like Navratri, Janmashtami Shivratri and Ekadashi. You can also make it for other occasions and festivals like Holi, Ganesh Chaturthi. You can even prepare this nutritious kheer for your kids and family for everyday dessert too.
What is Makhana/Makhane
Makhane/Makhana are seeds from the (aquatic) water lily/lotus plant. Also known as Lotus Seeds or Foxnuts. In Indian cuisine Makhana has been used since ancient times in medicinal, religious practices and as snacks and in curries. Recently it has gained popularity as health food/super food due to it's nutritional value and numerous health benefits.
These are also used in cooking in some other South Asian countries.
Checkout my post Makhana The Super Food for details on the nutritive value, it's health benefits and recipes using Makhana.
About Makhane Ki Kheer
Kheer in Indian Cuisine is any pudding made with milk with nuts, rice, semolina and other ingredients.
Makhane Kheer is Foxnuts or Lotus seeds pudding in milk with nuts.
Makhana Kheer is commonly made during the vrat or fasting days like Navratri and Janmashtami, Shivratri and Ekadashi.
During vrat/fasting days people abstain from eating grains like wheat, rice, dal and many vegetables. Fasting food or Vrat Ka Khaana is made with ingredients which substitutes the grains and provide nourishment to the body.
Makhana Kheer has goodness of various nuts like Almonds, Cashew nuts, Melon seeds, Raisins and Coconut along with milk which makes it highly nutrituvite.
You can serve it warm or chilli it for a couple of hours and relish as dessert.
Reasons why we love Makhana Kheer
- It is super rich, delicious creamy and loaded with nuts and raisins.
- It is gluten-free and can be made vegan friendly(use plant based milk).
- A fuss free recipe and can be made under 30 mins
- If consumed in moderation it is health friendly and loaded with flavours.
Ingredients to make Makhana Kheer/Makhane Ki Kheer
Milk- Use full cream milk for a thick and creamy kheer. You can also use low fat milk which you will have to use more in quantity and cook it more for creamy kheer.
Vegans can use plant milk like Almond/Cashew /Coconut Milk.
You can also add 1-2 milk powder/evaporated milk to quickly thicken the kheer.
Makhana/Lotus Seeds- Roast makhana before adding to milk.
Nuts and Dry Fruits- I have added Almonds, Cashew Nuts , Raisins and Cranberries. I also add grated coconut, as my mom always added this to Phool Makhana Kheer. Adding coconut is optional, but I will suggest you add as it adds a nutty taste of coconut to this delicious pudding.
You can also add other nuts and dried fruits like pistachios, chironji, melon seeds, dates, figs, dried apricots as per your preferences.
Green Cardamom- To add flavour. You can also add few saffron strands for smoky saffron flavour or even rose water.
Sweetener- I add raw cane sugar. You can also add castor sugar. IF you want to add jaggery then add after cooking kheer and switch off the gas. Do not kheer after adding jaggery as many times milk curdles as jaggery is a pure raw sugar.
Ghee- Most people roast nuts in ghee. Me and my kids don't like the flavour of ghee with milk so I skip roasting nuts in ghee and dry roast it.
How to make Dry Fruits and Makhane Ki Kheer
- Roast all the nuts separately. You can add 1 tsp ghee while roasting makhana and nuts, as mentioned in the above section I dry roast the nuts.
- Take makhana and nuts in a grinder jar, coarsely grind makhana and nuts . Also, add cardamom with nuts.
- Dry roast coconut till it starts to give roasted aroma and turns light brown. Do not roast it more as it may get burn. Keep the flame low which roasting nuts and coconut.
- You can add whole Makhana or coarsely crush it and add. You can also finely grind all the nuts to powder. This makes kheer extra creamy. You can use rolling pin to crush makhana. I also keep aside few whole makhana add to kheer.
- Boil milk on low flame. Let it cook for 5-10 mins. Keep on stirring.
- Cook for about 5-10 mins, till milk starts to thicken.
- Add makhana and nuts powder along with roasted coconut. Cook kheer till it thickens.
- Add sugar/sweetener in the end and stir kheer so that it doesn't burn at the bottom. Keep the flame low while cooking.
- Kheer is ready
Note: Makhane Ki Kheer thickens on cooling, so do not cook milk too much or add milk powder.
During fasting make this kheer along with other vrat/fasting food like Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vada(fried), Air Fryer Sabudana Vada, Kuttu ka Paratha/Poori with Aloo ki subzi or Vrat ka Dosa or Sama Rice Pulao and Vrat ki Kadhai
You can make this pudding for regular weekday/weekend meals. Make a big batch and serve at your parties or take for potlucks.
More Makhana Recipes from the blog
Recipe Card for Makhana Kheer
Makhana Kheer/Makhane Ki Kheer
- Heavy Bottom Pan/Kadhai to cook kheer
- Pan to roast nuts
- 500 ml Full fat/cream Milk
- ¼ cup Makhana /Foxnuts
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- 2 tbsp Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Grated Dry Coconut or Desiccated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Raisins and Cranberries
- 1-2 Green Cardamoms
- ¼ cup Sugar or as required
- 1-2 tsp Ghee optional
- To make Makhana Kheer , boil milk on low flame for 5-10 mins, till it starts to thicken it.500 ml Full fat/cream Milk
- Dry roast makhana or add ½-1 tsp ghee while roasting. It will take about 5 mins.¼ cup Makhana, 1-2 tsp Ghee
- Take out one seeds, cool it a bit and carefully crush it to see if makhana are roasted.
- Take out and keep aside to cool.
- Dry roast almonds and cashew nuts separately. Add some ghee if you want.2 tbsp Almonds, 2 tbsp Cashew nuts
- Roast the nuts separately. You can add ½ tsp ghee while roasting.
- Dry roast coconut till it starts to give roasted aroma and turns light brown. Do not roast it for long as, it may get burn.2 tbsp Grated Dry Coconut
- Coarsely ground makhana , nuts and cardamom in a grinder or use a rolling pin.1-2 Green Cardamoms
- Add the powdered makhana, nuts, raisins, cranberries and coconut to boiling milk.2 tbsp Raisins
- Cook till kheer starts to thicken.
- Add sugar/sweetener in the end and stir kheer so that it doesn't burn at the bottom. Keep the flame mow while cooking.¼ cup Sugar
- Serve hot or chill for few hours and enjoy
- Garnish with silvered almonds or chopped nuts, edible dried rose petals and roasted coconut flakes.
Make this Makhane kheer with dry fruits on fasting days, for your get togethers. Even kids will love to have it chilled. It is a healthy dessert when consumed in moderation.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!