Tikadia, Rajasthani Masala Roti or Pyaaz Tamatar Ka Paratha Recipe, made with Whole Wheat flour.
It is also known as Marwari Tikadia, as it is very popular among the Marwari community of Rajasthan.
About the Recipe
Tikadia, also popular as Rajasthani Masala Roti or Moti Roti or Pyaaz Tamatar Ki Roti or Paratha!!
Tikadia is made with or without onion tomato and cilantro/fresh coriander stuffing. When made without onion tomato filling it is layered with red chilli powder and has a prominent cumin flavour. It is also known as Namak Mirch ki Roti.
Flatbreads in India, are an important part of Indian meal. Each and every state or region has its own special bread. Like Missi Roti or Besani Roti from U.P, Makkai Ki Roti from Punjab, Bedmi Poori from Uttar Pradesh, Thepla from Gujarat. There are shallow fried, deep or non-fried breads. For lot of people meals are incomplete without rotis and parathas.
Rajasthan is a very colorful state. Simple and loving people with rich heritage and culture. Internationally it is one of the most visited tourist destination. I love Rajasthani Cuisine as I have spent my college years there in hostel and relished the delicacies that my college friends from the city, used to treat us. Be it Dal Baati Churma, Bajre ki Khichdi, Gatte Ki Subzi or Jodhpuri Kabuli Pulao, Missi Roti each and every dish is so rich in flavours.
Ingredients to make Rajasthani Tikadia/Tikadiya
For outer covering or Roti/Paratha- Whole Wheat Flour, Ajwain/Caraway Seeds and Salt. You can also add any millet flour(like jowar, bajra, makkai) or gram flour/besan also.
For Onion Tomato filling- Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Seeds, Finely chopped onion, tomato, fresh coriander leaves, green chillies(optional), Salt as required.
Spices (for without onion tomato filling) - Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Seeds.
Ghee/Oil- To shallow fry or cook Tikadia.
How to make Tikadia
Details in Recipe Card
- Knead soft dough of whole wheat flour with salt and some ghee.
- When making with filling, finely chop onion, tomato, green chillies. coriander leaves and add red chilli powder, cumin seeds.
- Add filling and roll out Tikadia.
- To make without onion tomato filling, simply sprinkle red chilli powder and cumin seeds on the rolled dough.
- Cook from both side with ghee(preferably) or oil from both sides. You can cook it like roti or chapati without ghee/oil, but smear in ghee before serving!!
Knead Dough for Roti/Paratha
Plain Tikadia with Red Chilli Powder and Cumin Seeds
Tikadia with Onion and Tomato Filling
How to serve Tikadia
Stuffed Tikadia is usually served for breakfast but you can serve it for main course also.
Serve it as a part of Rajasthani Thali with other Rajasthani Delicacies during festivals and special occasions.
Recipe Card For Marwari Tikadia
- Mixing Bowl /Parath
- Spoons and Ladles
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour/Atta
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Finely chopped Onions
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Tomato
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds/Ajwain
- 1 tsp Finely chopped Fresh Cilantro/Coriander Leaves
- Ghee or Oil for Frying Paranthas
- In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt ajwain/caraway seeds and ghee/oil.
- Knead soft dough with water.
- Divide the dough in equal portions .
For Plain Tikadia
- Take one portion,roll out a circular disc as shown in pic.
- Spread oil/ghee add on rolled roti. Spread ghee/oil. Sprinkle red chilli powder, cumin seeds.
- Roll it out just like a roulade or pinwheel biscuit, as shown in pic and roll into circular dics.
- Repeat the same with all the dough balls.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle and cook chapati on medium heat from both sides till brown and crispy.
For Stuffed Tikadia
- In a bowl add and mix onion and tomato with salt, red chilli powder, cilantro leaves and cumin seeds.
- Roll out on of the dough portions as shown in pic.
- Add some filling on the portion, gather the edges and seal the dough.
- Dust with flour and roll out circular chaptis /discs of around 6".
- Cook on medium flame on griddle from both sides with ghee/oil till light brown.
- Serve hot and fresh with yogurt or curry of your choice.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!