Learn how to make best Baked Chickpeas for snack |Vegan +gluten-free Chickpea snack Recipe
Roasted Chickpeas in the oven!! a delicious snack recipe that I recently came across, while searching for some savory snacks for parties. I cook Chickpeas in typical North Indian style like Chole Masala, Pindi Chole or use it in my Spinach Kabuli Chana Pulao.Hummus is another family favourite with chips or Falafel bites. My kids also love Chole-Chaat a snack made with Chole Masala, papdi(deep-fried flatbreads) with tangy and spicy chutneys.
This recipe for baked Chickpeas I got from here. I took the tips and pointers from the recipe and modified a bit to suit my requirement. The result was crispy and crunchy chickpeas snack.
I seasoned the baked chickpeas only with salt, red chilli powder and dried parsley and enjoyed with our evening tea. Kids liked it too and have asked me to make again for their lunchboxes. To make these healthy, nutritious snack very little oil and a minimum of spices are used. You can season it with any spices that your choice like Chaat Masala or curry powder. I am going to try the Cajun Spice mix, that I used for my Cajun Potatoes to season these chickpeas. A gluten-free treat that is suitable for people on low fat/oil diets and for vegans too.
How to make Oven Roasted Chickpeas
Pre-boiled chickpeas are used for making these baked chickpeas. I used one can of the chickpeas. You can use more than one as per your requirement.
Few tips that one should keep in mind while baking Chickpeas to get the right crunch…
- Drain the liquid completely from the chickpeas.
- Dry the chickpeas completely on a clean kitchen towel or tissue paper.
- Toss the chickpeas in 1-2 tsp of oil depending on the quantity of chickpeas used.
- Keep on tossing the chickpeas after every 15 minutes.
- Season the chickpeas with salt only while putting to bake. Season with other spices once these are done.
- These taste best when fresh and warm. You can make ahead, store in an air-tight container and toast in oven for few minutes before serving.
Recipe card for Baked Chickpeas
Baked Chickpea Snacks
- 1/7 can /oz Boiled Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil or use any flavourless oil
- Red Chilli Powder/Chilli flakes as required
- Dried Parsley as required
- Strain the chickpeas and liquid from the can, completely. Rinse under the tap water.
- Pat dry the chickpeas completely on a clean kitchen towel or tissue paper. The chickpeas will feel dry and peel off. Discard the peels that come out while washing and drying.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F or 200C.
- On a dry baking tray, spread the chickpeas, toss with 1 tbsp of oil, and salt and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 400 F or 200C.
- In between at the interval of 15 minutes keep on shaking the tray for even baking of chickpeas.
- After 30-40 minutes, chickpeas will be dry and the color will a bit dark as compared to before baking.
- Take out of the oven and toss in the spices and herbs of your choice. Once cooled store in an air-tight container or serve hot.
If you still haven’t tried these baked Chickpeas then do try out these. I promise you will love to bake these again for your anytime munching or get-togethers.
I am taking these for Bake-A-Thon Dec’18
Linking this post to MLLA #123, conceptualized by Susan and hosted by Lisa. This month’s MLLA is being hosted by Archana, a very talented and experienced blogger, blogging at The Mad Scientist Kitchen.
Do give me your feedback and when you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my FoodTrails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.