Last Updated on
Palak and Chole Pulao is super healthy and yummy one pot meal, with Kabuli Chana/Chickpeas and Palak/Spinach as main ingredients along with rice. You can also add veggies like carrots or beans to it. A healthy option rich with fibers and proteins excellent for packing up lunch boxes or weekend brunch. Kabuli Chane/Chole/Chickpeas are a rich source of proteins and fibers. It is very beneficial for people who have high blood sugar levels or follow gluten-free diets. Palak/Spinach is powerhouse of iron, potassium and Vit. A. Health benefits of spinach include improved eyesight, healthy skin and hair, stronger bones and regulated blood pressure to name a few.
Use basmati rice to make it, soak it half an hour earlier before preparing it, also we need boiled chickpeas to make it. Canned chickpeas can also be used or soak chickpeas overnight and boil to make the pulao. Or whenever you boil chickpeas to make any chickpea dish like Chole Masala, Chole Bhature, boil some extra and reserve some for making this pulao. You can make it in any thick bottomed pan but usually, I make this to pack in lunch boxes for my kids and hubby, so I make it in pressure cooker to save time. You can also make this in Insta Pot as you make another other vegetable Pulao/Pilaf.
Let’s see how I make this.
Palak Aur Kabuli Chane Ka Pulao
Healthy and yummy Spinach and Chickpeas Pilaf full of flavors nutrients
- Rice– 200 g/ 1 Cup
- Boiled chickpeas– 1 cup
- Spinach—2 cups
- Onion–1 Medium size
- Tomato–1 Medium size
- Garlic–4-5 cloves
- Ginger–1 inch
- Green Chilli–1-2 (as per taste)
- Yogurt/Curd–1/2 cup
- Garam Masala–1-2 Tsp
- Coriander Powder–1 Tsp
- Bay Leaf–1
- Cinnamon stick–1 medium
- Whole Black Pepper–4-5
- Cumin Seeds–1 Tsp
- Oil or Desi Ghee(Indian Clarified Butter)–1-2 Tbsp
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20-30 mins before cooking.
- Heat some water in a pan bring to boil and add the washed spinach leaves for 1-2 minutes and then strain out the leaves, cool it and puree leaves. Keep aside for later use. You can also finely chop the leaves and add, but I feel pureed spinach gives a nice vibrant color to this rice dish.
- Finely chop onion and tomato. Make paste of ginger and garlic and green chili.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil/desi ghee, When the oil is hot enough add whole spices or garam masala, roast till it gives a nice aroma, add cumin seeds when the leaves splutter add onions when it starts turning translucent add ginger garlic paste and fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it is soft and mushy.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder and red chili powder and mix well.
- Discard the water from the soaked rice, and drain, chickpeas(if using the canned ones).
- Beat yogurt/curd nicely, add to the pulao masala and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add boiled chickpeas and rice, and add a cup of water and salt, and mix well. Put the lid of the pressure cooker with the weight on it.
- Cook on medium flame till 2 whistles. Take out of the flame, let the pressure go out by itself.
- Open the lid and fluff with some fork or spoon and transfer to a serving bowl.
A teaspoon of desi ghee does wonder to pulao’s taste or I may say to most of the Indian dishes. I don’t mind adding a spoonful to my dals(lentils), pulao and curries. Desi ghee has it’s own health benefits when had in moderation.
Pack this with some raita or yogurt in lunch boxes or serve hot. Or make it for your guests and take to potlucks. Enjoy this healthy dish with your friends and family.
Related recipes: Mix Veg Raita
Do give feedback in comments and whenever you make these do share the pics on my FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails by following the blog and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work do share my blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by. Keep coming back for more such yummy recipes 😋!!