Eggless Bread Pudding made with Eggless/Egg-free Custard and bread slices with added nuts and dried fruits. Serve this delicious warm pudding with more custard or your favourite ice cream and fresh fruits.
About the recipe
Eggless Bread Pudding or Bread and Butter Pudding is a popular and very easy to make British dessert. It is a delicious baked warm dessert that is made with bread, dry fruits and nuts and custard. Traditionally, custard made with eggs is used in the making it, but since these there are a no. of people especially in India who avoid eggs in their cooking. Or, these days lot of food related allergies are coming up and lot many people are allergic to eggs. So, now people have started making the eggless version too.
My mom made this simple CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING with leftover bread in her small oven , that she had during those days. Me and my sister love custard based desserts, chilled fruit custard in summers and warm bread pudding in winters. Those were the days of simple indulgences when there were no fancy mousse and other desserts were available.
History of Bread Pudding and it's Variations
Origin of Bread Pudding traces back to 11th century where it was a way to use the leftover bread or stale bread by cooks. Those days it was a common man's desserts or known as poor man's pudding. Slowly and gradually it started gaining popularity as comfort food and now is featured in dessert menu of famous Dine-ins and restaurants.
This pudding is basically made by layering of bread pieces or adding bread cubes in baking tray, with nuts, fruits and dried fruits, topped with custard sauce before baking. You can make endless variations of this pudding with any kind of bread, dry cakes, rusks and other ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Pudding
Details of ingredients and method in Recipe Card
Bread- Use any bread, but it should be on drier side. Also, leftover Croissants, Danish pastries , Challah, Brioche Buns can also be used for the bread layer. Sourdoughs, Wheat breads are a more healthier choice .
Checkout EGGLESS BIROCHE BUNS here
Custard - For Custard, I use my eggless custard recipe which I use in making FRUIT CUSTARD, CUSTARD TRIFLE, that I make using Custard Powder which is available in India. You can also make it with cornstarch and vanilla essence.
For detailed Click Eggless Custard Recipe
Nuts - I have used a combination of finely chopped almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts. You can also add hazelnuts, macadamia nuts or whatever is availabe to you.
Dried Fruits- Raisins, Cranberries, Prunes Soaked Figs and Apricots. Add in whatever you like.
You can also add fresh fruits like peeled sliced apples, pear, nectarines. Berries like strawberries, blueberries. Orange peel or candied fruits add a lot of citrusy flavour to this baked dessert.
I didn't have orange peel or other candied peel so I added orange marmalade. You can also try it with mixed fruit jam or any fruit preserve. My another favourite is Fig Jam/preserve. When I don't have fig preserve then I add lot of soaked figs. Fresh figs also are just fine.
You can also soak the dried fruits like raisins, cranberries in juices especially orange juice or rum for a boozy kick.
Experiment with the flavors. This is such a versatile recipe that you can make it as per the no. of people, just for the 2 of you, your family or even a large batch.
Butter- Add melted unsalted butter, it adds to the buttery taste in pudding. Spread it on the bread slices or add while making custard. Not shown in the ingredient pic.
Steps to make Bread Pudding
Can I make it one or two days before serving time
Bread pudding can be made ahead, refrigerated overnight or for 1-2 days.
Make Custard a day before and then assemble the bread nuts and custard together and bake.
I prefer not to layer the bread and custard before baking and store(for a day or so) as bread pieces get soggy and lose the texture.
To avoid this bake the pudding and then refrigerate once it completely cools down.
Storing the leftovers and Reheating
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container or cover the dish in which you baked the pudding with a cling film.
Reheat then serve as you like with more custard or vanilla ice cream or just like that. If the baked pudding very dry add 2-3 tbsp milk before reheating .
Eggless Bread Pudding
Make Eggless Custard
- 2½ Cups Milk 500 ml+½Cup
- ¼ cup Custard Powder or Cornstarch
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar or as required
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence if using cornstarch or cornflour(as known in India)
To Prepare Pudding
- 6-7 Bread Slices prefer dry bread and made with Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter(unsalted)
- 1-2 tbsp Orange Marmalade optional
- ½ Cup Mixed Nuts like Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Hazelnuts
- ½ Cup Dried Fruits Raisins, Figs, Apricots, Cranberries, Prunes
- 1½ Cup Custard or as required
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar use as required
- 1 tbsp Almond Meal or coarse mixed nut powder
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame. Keep ½ Cup milk aside in a bowl before boiling.2½ Cups Milk
- Dissolve custard powder or cornstarch in ½ cup cold milk. Keep aside.¼ cup Custard Powder
- If not using Custard powder, then mix cornstarch and vanilla essence in ¼ cup milk, mix and make slurry.1 tsp Vanilla Essence, ¼ cup Custard Powder
- When milk boils, lower the flame, add the Custard powder slurry in boiling milk. Mix well, keep it stirring so that no lumps are formed.¼ cup Custard Powder
- Add sugar and mix well. Keep the flame to low.2-3 tbsp Sugar
- Cook Custard till it is starts getting thick.
Prepare the baking dish to make Pudding
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°C For OTG pre-heat it for 15 mins. with both rods on.
- Prepare a baking tray/dish, brush with little butter.
- Cut bread in cubes or slices as you want to layer it.6-7 Bread Slices
- Layer the slices in a baking dish. Pour melted butter over it. Refer pics in post.2 tbsp Melted Butter(unsalted)
- Spread orange marmalade on slices(if using).1-2 tbsp Orange Marmalade
- Now add chopped mixed dried fruits, nuts. I have used figs and apricots. So I soaked it in warm water for a couple of minutes before adding.½ Cup Mixed Nuts, ½ Cup Dried Fruits
- Spread some custard over it.
- Add one more layer of bread slices. Top it with more nuts and dried fruits.
- Finally add add about ½ Cup Custard or as required over the bread slices.1½ Cup Custard or as required
- Sprinkle brown sugar over it. I also like to add almond meal or coarsely powdered nut over it. It gives a nice crunchy caramel taste to the pudding.1 tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 tbsp Almond Meal or coarse mixed nut powder
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 mins. at 180°C or 350°F
- Once done, take out and let it cool a bot and serve warm with custard and fruits.
Storage and Reheating
- Store the leftover pudding in an airtight container. Or, cover the baking dish with a cling film.
- Reheat in oven at preheat mode (180°C or 350°F) for 5-10 mins.
Do try this easy peasy bread pudding. My kids love it topped with more custard or vanilla ice cream. Try out ways to serve it or enjoy warm just like that. It's perfect no fuss dessert for get togethers, potlucks.
Include it in your Thanksgiving or Christmas menu or enjoy it just like that on a cozy chilly evening!!
Hope you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!