Last Updated on
Brioche buns.. Soft, buttery bread on the sweeter side , enriched with eggs and butter with a tender crumb. Brioche Buns have a characteristic shape with a small shaped head on the top. The shape can be given with hand while shaping the bread after second proofing or proofing the bread in the brioche molds. These buns have a characteristic golden touch due to the addition of more butter, eggs and milk.
The origin of brioche bread is said to be France but a similar version with very less variation is equally popular in Italy also. Italian buns are sweeter and less buttery than the French Brioche buns. Brioche breads are also flavoured with Vanilla or Orange essence and can have added Choco-Chips or Chocolate and can be had on its own. It’s one of the main breakfast breads of the Italians.
As per my understanding from the various online resources breakfast for most of the Italians mainly consists of having a cup of coffee with Viennoiseries(rich and sweet breads, doughnuts,bread, topped with jam or even without jam , eggs(mainly frittata) and fruits. Brioche is Viennoiserie that has the richness of eggs, butter and has a sweet taste with added honey.
Brioche buns are the common breakfast item, and are also used for making sandwiches for lunch and dinner.The cream filled buns are also eaten for desserts.
Can I make this bread without Eggs..
Traditionally, brioche bread/buns get the richness from eggs, butter. But we can make it eggless also. Replace eggs with equal amount of milk and add 1-2 tbsp of extra milk powder. This recipe of eggless Brioche buns give so so soft,rich and buttery buns. You can enjoy these with some jam/cheese or butter on the top. Make sandwich with cheese and veggies or adda patty for making burger. I love to have these plain with my coffee or chai.
Just look at the texture of these buns., so soft and melt in mouth.My kids love to have these with strawberry jam or as burger with aloo patty and lettuce. How to make Aloo Patty, check out Aloo Tikki Burger Mcdonalds Style.
I have not used food processor or Mixer like Kitchenaid for dough kneading. You can knead the dough in a mixer also.
Kneading bread in a mixer is very easy, saves all the muscle work. Follow the initial steps in recipe, of mixing the dry ingredients with wet ingredients, and then knead till you get a smooth dough.
Few pointers to keep in mind while baking bread..
- Measure your ingredients correctly.
- Ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Know your flour. All different variety of flours need a different amount of water. So if you are using all-purpose flour you will have to add less water as specified in the recipe here. With multigrain flour add 5-10 ml of extra water.
- Knead your dough well till it is smooth.
- Keep a check on proving time. Proving time also depends upon the weather. If it is hot and humid bread proofs fast, cold weather slows down the proving time. For that keep the dough in a warm place like in the oven with light.
- Check for proofing by doing the dimple test. To check whether the dough is proofed, press the dough lightly with a finger, it will form a dimple/indent. If it rises back the dough needs little more proofing time, if it doesn’t bounce back, the dough is proofed.
- The baking temperature should be as per the recipe and don’t open the oven door again and again to check.
- 1.5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Instant/ Rapid Rise Yeast
- 2 tbsp Sugar/Honey/Maple Syrup
- 31/2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Milk 125-130 ml
- 1/4 Cup Milk Powder
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Mix of Chia Seeds and Sesame Seeds for topping
- Mix together flour and milk powder and salt.
- Heat milk, just enough to feel warm. Add yeast sugar/agave, vanilla essence and mix.
- Add the yeast milk solution to the dry ingredients. Mix well and get the flour together. Give a rest of 10 mins.
- Add butter and knead till you get a smooth dough. Keep the dough for proofing in an oiled bowl. Cover with a cling film or damp cloth.
- It takes about 1 hour for the first proof. After the first proofing the dough rises to double.. Divide the dough in 5-6 equal portions, make smooth balls, arrange on dusted baking tray. Press a little to give shape of a burger bun.
- Keep for the second proof for another 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C. 10-15 mins before baking the buns.
- The buns will get double in size, give milk wash. Sprinkle mix of Chia seeds and Sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins at 375°F or 190°C, till it gets nice brown color.
- If you the buns top start getting brown too quickly, cover it lightly with Aluminum foil.
- If using Indian OTG, keep on middle rack. You can bake these in Convention Microwave oven also, at the bake mode. Keep bread on small rack or bake without rack.
Do make these Eggless Whole Wheat Brioche buns. and give me your feedback whenever you make these. I will be glad to see my pics on any of my social media handles. FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.