Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/Mini Burger Buns | How to make Whole Wheat Flour Mini Burger Buns with Beetroot Puree
Homemade Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/Mini Burger Buns recipe with goodness of Whole Wheat Flour and Beetroot Puree.
Soft fluffy and pillowy burger buns made at home with health friendly ingredients. Use these for burgers with patties of your choice or just spread some jam/butter or their favourite cream cheese spread. Now Moms need feel guilty or say no when kids want their favourite burgers.
Beetroot Puree added to the dough gives these buns beautiful attractive color that not only kids but grown ups too will love. And it is a good way to sneak in Beets in kids food and feeding them without convincing them to have the beets.
My little one who loves to help me when I am doing some baking was delighted to see the red colored buns. This is the first time I baked burger buns with beetroot puree.
Last year while searching for creative ideas with beetroot I chanced upon few recipes of beetroot burger buns and brioche rolls. Since then I thought of making these but then somehow kept postponing it. I use beetroot and it’s puree in burger patties, cakes (Red Velvet), in Parantha dough and in soups/rasam.
Whole Wheat Beetroot Mini Burger Buns
Health Benefits of Beetroot(How to use Beetroot Puree in Cooking)
It is the first time I used in a beetroot bread recipe. It came out well. The original recipe had eggs in it, so I used my own burger bun recipe, added beetroot puree and only adjusted the quantity of water used. The buns came out quite well, fluffy, soft pillowy. Though the texture is a bit different then the buns that are made with All Purpose flour or Bread Flour. Kids finished two buns just with cream cheese spread and they loved it.
Beetroots one of the superfoods rich in iron, calcium, potassium, Vit-C, folate and fibers. These are known to increase the stamina in young athletes, anti-inflammatory promotes weight loss, controls blood pressure and prevents cancer. (Source– online resources). Beetroots can be added to salads, curries and veggies, beets puree can be used in soups, bread or as a smoothie. Kids don’t like to eat it much in raw form, so I add with veggies and curries. Beetroot puree in the dough gives it a beautiful color and kids like to eat the colorful rotis/pooris or parathas, happily. Beet puree is also added for making the Red Velvet cake and cupcakes to avoid the use of artificial color.
Few Recipes from the blog with Beetroot-
Few pointers to keep in mind while baking Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/Mini Burger Buns
- Measure your ingredients correctly.
- Ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Know your flour. All different variety of flours need a different amount of water. So if you are using all-purpose flour you will have to add less water as specified in the recipe here. With multigrain flour add 5-10 ml of extra water.
- Knead your dough well till it is smooth.
- Keep a check on proving time. Proving time also depends upon the weather conditions. If it is hot and humid bread proofs fast, cold weather slows down the proving time. For that keep the dough in a warm place like in the oven with light.
- Check for proofing by doing the dimple test. To check whether the dough is proofed, press the dough lightly with a finger, it will form a dimple/indent. If it rises back the dough needs little more proofing time, if it doesn’t bounce back, the dough is proofed.
- The baking temperature should be as per the recipe and don’t open the oven door again and again to check. Take about 15 mins to bake Buns. After 15 mins check. The crust will be hard when taken out of the oven but it softens up after few minutes as buns cool down.
Can I use frozen Beetroot Puree
Yes we can use frozen beetroot Pure.. Thaw it and let it come to room temperature before adding in flour.
Can I freeze the dough and the burger buns
Yes we can proof the dough after first proofing, punch it down and then wrap in a plastic wrap, store in freezer friendly zip lock or air-tight container. Thaw the dough in refrigerator a a couple(preferably overnight) of hrs before making buns. Take out and keep on counter top, shape buns and keep for second proof.
You can also freeze the buns, stays good for about a month.
So let’s see how to make these Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/ Mini Burger Buns
Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/Mini Burger Buns
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1-2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 1⅛ tsp Instant Yeast Pls see notes below
- 1-2 Tbsp Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 50 ml Water for kneading Water left after boiling beetroots
- Olive Oil
- PoppySeeds/Nigella Seeds to sprinkle on top of buns
- 1 no. Beetroots(medium sized) For beetroot puree
- Mix together whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Add oil and beetroot puree in the flour.
- Add water to the flour and start kneading the dough with water/milk.
- Once the dough gets together, leave for 5 mins rest.
- After 5 mins, transfer the dough to work surface and knead to a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough in a well-greased bowl or container and cover with a cling film, and keep for first proving.
- First proofing takes around 45-mins to 1 hr, depending upon the weather.
- Once proofed or dough doubles in size, transfer to work surface, punch out the air, knead for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4-5 equal parts, roll and make a smooth slider ball, and keep on a greased and floured pan for second proofing. This takes around 20-25 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 350°F or 180°C .
- Once the dough balls rise and proof, bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C.
- Once done, take out of the oven and cool on wire rack. Use as required. Buns stay fresh for 4-5 days at room temperature and you can freeze these for about 1 month.
To make Beetroot Puree
- For beetroot puree, peel and cut into cubes and cook in a pan with little water or in a pressure cooker.
- Cool and puree beets. Use as required and store the rest in refrigerate an air-tight container, if using more than 1 beet.
To bake in OTG
- For OTG preheat OTG 180°C with both rods and fan on mode for 15 mins. Start preheat mode when you keep the buns for second proof, 15 mins before the buns seem to be ready.
- Bake at 350°F/180°C for 12-15 mins on the same mode.
- Milk can also be used to knead the flour. Water or milk should not be too hot, just warm enough.
- When adding milk, skip milk powder in the recipe.
- If the dough is sticky, don't add more flour to it. Keep kneading, it will get soft and smooth. Lightly oil your hands while kneading the dough.
- You can use your Stand Mixer to knead dough. But some kneading with hands is required for soft pillowy buns.
- For a vegan option, knead the dough with only water or almond/soy milk and skip milk powder.
- In place of Whole Wheat flour, you can use All-purpose flour(APF)/Bread Flour. Decrease 10 ml of water as we need less water to kneed APF.
- I use Ashirwaad Whole Wheat Flour for baking breads and cakes. It is availabe online at Amazon and all Indian grocery stores outside India. To order, check link in post. You can use other brand also, which have less husk or bran.
- I used instant yeast here, you can use active dry yeast or fresh yeast also.
- For active dry yeast, activate yeast in lukewarm water/milk(110 F). In a bowl, add yeast and sugar in water/milk should be just warm enough not at all hot. Mix in dry yeast and keep the glass covered till it forms a forth, about 15 mins. Add to the flour and knead.
- Fresh Yeast can be directly added to the flour along with other ingredients. Take 3.5 g fresh yeast which is almost equivalent to 1¼ tsp of instant active yeast.
- 1 Cup of flour will give you 4-5 mini buns or sliders or 2 big burger buns. You can increase the ingredients in proportions to flour.
- To make Beetroot Puree, peel and chop beetroot and cook for soft. You can pressure cook beets. Puree when completely cool and use as required. You can also use leftover water after boiling beets.
- You can also peel and chop and roast beetroot in oven or air fryer. Checkout how I do here
Way to serve or enjoy Sliders/ Burger Buns
My kids loved these with simple cream cheese spread. You can make filling with colored veggies(like green, purple cabbage), cheese, different wholesome patties, make a rainbow kind of combination.
Make Cheesy Pizza bun sandwich. For that take chopped capsicum, onions, boiled corn, mix with grated cheese, pizza sauce/tomato ketchup and grill for 2-3 mins or till cheese melts.
Play with options around present your loved ones some gourmet burgers!! I am sure kids will also love these colorful mini sliders.
These are perfect for your Christmas, Thanks Giving and Kid’s parties!!
Stepwise pics to make Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/Mini Burger Buns
Taking to Kid’s Delight with the theme “Veggies Sneaked in” for Blogging Marathon.. You can read about #95 Blogging Marathon in detail here. Looking forward to sharing some good stuff in the group and learning from the other group members.
Also, taking these Mini Sliders to Dec Bake-A-Thon This is my second post in the group for day 2.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
Like my work !! do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!