Eggless Bread Pudding Recipe | Learn how to make Eggless Bread and Butter Pudding | Vegetarian Bread Pudding Recipe
Eggless Bread Pudding or Bread and Butter Pudding is a popular and very easy to make British dessert. It is a delicious baked warm dessert that is made with bread, dry fruits and nuts and custard. Traditionally, custard made with eggs is used in the making it, but since these there are a no. of people especially in India who avoid eggs in their cooking. Or, these days lot of food related allergies are coming up and lot many people are allergic to eggs. So, now people have started making the eggless version too.
My mom made this simple CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING with leftover bread in her small oven , that she had during those days. Me and my sister love custard based desserts, chilled fruit custard in summers and warm bread pudding in winters. Those were the days of simple indulgences when there were no fancy mousse and other desserts were available.
History of Bread Pudding and it’s Variations
Origin of Bread Pudding traces back to 11th century where it was a way to use the leftover bread or stale bread by cooks. Those days it was a common man’s desserts or known as poor man’s pudding. Slowly and gradually it started gaining popularity as comfort food and now is featured in dessert menu of famous Dine-ins and restaurants.
This pudding is basically made by layering of bread pieces or adding bread cubes in baking tray, with nuts, fruits and dried fruits, topped with custard sauce before baking. You can make endless variations of this pudding with any kind of bread, dry cakes, rusks and other ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Pudding
Details of ingredients and method in Recipe Card
Bread– Use any bread, but it should be on drier side. Also, leftover Croissants, Danish pastries , Challah, Brioche Buns can also be used for the bread layer. Sourdoughs, Wheat breads are a more healthier choice .
Checkout EGGLESS BIROCHE BUNS here
Custard – For Custard, I use my eggless custard recipe which I use in making FRUIT CUSTARD, CUSTARD TRIFLE, that I make using Custard Powder which is available in India. You can also make it with cornstarch and vanilla essence.
For detailed Click 👉Eggless Custard Recipe
Nuts – I have used a combination of finely chopped almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts. You can also add hazelnuts, macadamia nuts or whatever is availabe to you.
Dried Fruits– Raisins, Cranberries, Prunes Soaked Figs and Apricots. Add in whatever you like.
Also, you can add fresh fruits like peeled sliced apples, pear, nectarines. Berries like strawberries, blueberries. Orange peel or candied fruits add a lot of citrusy flavour to this baked dessert.
I didn’t have orange peel or other candied peel so I added orange marmalade. You can also try it with mixed fruit jam or any fruit preserve. My another favourite is Fig Jam/preserve. When I don’t have fig preserve then I add lot of soaked figs. Fresh figs also are just fine.
You can also soak the dried fruits like raisins, cranberries in juices especially orange juice or rum for a boozy kick.
Experiment with the flavors. This is such a versatile recipe that you can make it as per the no. of people, just for the 2 of you, your family or even a large batch.
Butter– Add melted unsalted butter, it adds to the buttery taste in pudding. Spread it on the bread slices or add while making custard. Not shown in the ingredient pic.
Steps to make Bread Pudding
Can I make it ahead of time
Bread pudding can be made ahead, refrigerated overnight or for 1-2 days. Also you can layer bread and nuts, make custard and then assemble the the together and bake. But, remember bread pieces will get soggy the more these are kept layered with fruits and custard. To avoid this bake the pudding and then refrigerate once it completely cools down. and Reheat then serve as you like with more custard or vanilla ice cream or just like that.
Taking this baked Warm Bread Pudding to this month’s SHH Cooking Secretly Challenge. Rafeeda who blogs at the Big Sweetooth suggested the theme WARM DESSERTS. Checkout her space with delicious desserts from round the world and many more in her treasure. These droolicious Fudge Brownie Pie are a must try from here dessert collection that she made for the theme.
My partner is Archana this month, who has made this Bomb dish 🙂 Hot Chocolate Bombs. And if you love chocolate like her, this Salted Caramel is a must give it a try recipe from her treasure.
As per the challenge we have to suggest 2 ingredients to our partner that they can use in their dish. I gave her Marshmallows and Coffee and she gave me Orange Marmalade and Figs. And these fitted perfectly in my bread pudding.
Eggless Bread Pudding
Make Eggless Custard
- 3 Cups Milk 500 ml+½Cup
- ¼ cup Custard Powder or Cornstarch Cornflour(in India)
- 3 tbsp Sugar as required
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence if using cornstarch
To Prepare Pudding
- 6-7 Bread Slices prefer dry bread and made with Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter(unsalted)
- 1-2 tbsp Orange Marmalade optional
- ½ Cup Mixed Nuts like Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Hazelnuts
- ½ Cup Dried Fruits Raisins, Figs, Apricots, Cranberries, Prunes
- 1½ Cup Custard or as required
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar use as required
- 1 tbsp Almond Meal or coarse mixed nut powder
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame. Keep ½ Cup milk aside in a bowl before boiling.
- Dissolve custard powder or cornstarch in cold milk. Keep aside. If using cornstarch, add a tsp of vanilla essence for flavour.
- When milk boils, lower the flame, add the cornstarch/Custard powder slurry in boiling milk. Mix well, keep it stirring so that no lumps are formed.
- Add sugar and mix well. Keep the flame to low.
- Cook Custard till it is starts getting thick.
Prepare the baking dish to make Pudding
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°C For OTG pre-heat it for 15 mins. with both rods on.
- Prepare a baking tray/dish, brush with little butter.
- Cut bread in cubes or slices as you want to layer it. Pour melted butter over it. Refer pics in post.
- Spread orange marmalade on slices(if using).
- Now add chopped mixed dried fruits, nuts. I have used figs and apricots. So I soaked it in warm water for a couple of minutes before adding.
- Spread some custard over it.
- Add one more layer of bread slices. Top it with more nuts and dried fruits.
- Finally add add about ½ Cup Custard or as required over the bread slices.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over it. I also like to add almond meal or coarsely powdered nut over it. It gives a nice crunchy caramel taste to the pudding.
- Bake in preheated oven
Do try this easy peasy bread pudding. My kids love it topped with more custard or vanilla ice cream. Try out ways to serve it or enjoy warm just like that. It’s perfect no fuss dessert for get togethers, potlucks. Include it in your Thanks Giving or Christmas menu or enjoy it just like that on a cozy chilly evening!!
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google serches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!