Aloo Tikki Burger Recipe | Copycat McDonald Aloo Tikki Burger
Popular McDonald Style Aloo Tikki Burger(Deep Fried, Air Fried and Baked)
Aloo Tikki Burger(Burger with Potato Patty) one of the most loved veggie burger option at McDonald’s in India. Kids love it and so do adults.
The crispy aloo patty, topped with the tangy tomato mayo sauce, in burger buns is a vegetarian’s delight.
I remember we had burgers somewhere in Delhi and since restaurants in our town didn’t serve any burgers at that time(about 30 yrs back 😉 we made it at home. Patty was a simple one made with boiled potatoes, coriander(Cilantro) leaves, some bread pieces all mashed up together with some masala, fried and served on a bun with onions and tomatoes and ketchup. McDonald’s changed the way burgers were eaten.
The Happy Meals for kids and the economic burgers (with the mayo sauces that were introduced with burgers) became an instant hit with everyone.
I love experimenting copycat recipes of the famous restaurants’ foods that I like. 2-3 years back, I experimented with making aloo patties and veggie patties just like McDonald’s. After experimenting with various recipes available on the net, I finally have a recipe that suits my convenience.
Here in the US, we (especially my elder one who loves Mc Aloo Tikki burger and Mc Paneer Wraps) don’t miss much of our McDonald’s favorites like Veggie Burger, and other menu items like chilli paneer pockets, Pizza Mc Puff and of course, the French Fries, as I can conveniently make these at home.
Easy to make and store Burger Patties
These patties can be frozen for about a month so you can make and store for your parties, anytime quick snack/dinner option. Can be stored in zip lock or air tight containers, wrapped in butter paper or parchment paper.
Much better than the store-bought frozen patties can be deep/shallow fried or baked as per your choice.
Enjoy the burgers with tangy tomato mayo sauce just the way it is served at McDonald’s. These burgers also go well with the Mint dip made with mint and cilantro chutney and mayonnaise or hung curd/greek yogurt. For vegan friendly version use a vegan yogurt or skip it.
Basic ingredients and steps to make Aloo Tikki Burger
You can easily make these burgers at home with basic ingredients.
Potatoes, rice flakes(poha), spices. You can use leftover boiled rice also in place of Rice flakes(poha). Mash it along with potatoes.
Breadcrumbs can also be added for a non gluten-free version.
To make patties, I fry potatoes and peas in little oil with dry masalas, the way we make jeera aloo mixture. If you want you can skip this step (I feel it gives nice aroma and flavor to the Tikki), mix together everything and make patties.
Refrigerate patties for about at least 30 mins. before frying or baking.
The recipe may seem long, but it is extremely easy and quick one.
Let’s gather the ingredients and make everyone’s favourite Aloo Tikki Patties for Burgers
Aloo Tikki Burger
For Aloo Tikki Patti
- 3-4 Large Potatoes boiled and kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 hrs
- Poha (Flattened Rice)/Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs to coast patties
- Jeera(Cumin Seeds)
Dry Masala Powders/Spice Powders for Burger Tikki
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Flakes( add more if you want more spicy patty),
- ½ tsp Chat Masala
- Black Salt/Kala Namak as required
- 4-5 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2-3 tbsp Cornmeal/Makki ka Aatta
For Tangy Tomato Mayo Sauce
- Hot Sauce/Chilli Sauce
- 4 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
For Mint Dip:
- 4-5 tbsp Mint Coriander Chutney
- 4-5 tbsp Mayo / Sour Cream / Hung Yoghurt(Curd)
- ¼ tsp Sugar if using sour cream or hung curd
Make Tangy Tomato Sauce
- Mix together all the sauces.. You can adjust the amount of sauces and mayo as per your requirement and spice level.
Make Mint Sauce
- Mix together all the sauces. You can adjust the amount of sauces and mayo as per your requirement and spice level.
Make Burger Patti
- Boil potatoes, let them cool completely and keep in the refrigerator for few hours before making the patties.
- Soak poha in water for a minute or so, drain water and keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds once they are light brown, add peas and fry a little. Mash peas with a masher or wooden spoon.
- Combine all the dry masala powders along with salt and add to peas.
- Mash potatoes, and add with peas mash a little more and mix well. Add poha and mix very nicely with potatoes.
- Take off the flame, and let the mixture cool.
- Meanwhile, take 2-3 tbsp of cornstarch, 1 tbsp of cornmeal and make a slurry using 3-4 tbsp water. If the slurry is thick, add a tbsp of water or if it gets thick add a tsp some cornstarch accordingly. If you want, add few chill flakes to the slurry. Also in another bowl take 1-2 tbsp of cornflour with a pinch of salt for dusting patties.
- Mix rest of the cornstarch and cornmeal with breadcrumbs in a bowl/plate, add 1/4 tsp of salt. Please note: You can increase the amount of cornstarch and cornmeal accordingly if you are making a large batch of patties.
- Once the mixture is cooled, take a portion of the mixture, form into patties.
- Take one patty, dip into the slurry, transfer to the breadcrumbs mixture and coat it well. Press the breadcrumbs mixture nicely on the patty.
- Make rest of the patties accordingly and arrange in another plate or tray. When all the patties are done, cover the tray with a cling wrap and keep in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or maximum an hour). It helps to keep the patties firm while frying or grilling.(Please Notes below).
- To freeze, store in a ziplock bag or an air-tight container. Do not thaw before use. The moisture will seep into the patties and it will break while frying.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or thick bottomed pan and fry the patties, until golden brown. You can shallow fry the patties in a pan with less oil or brush it with oil and grill in oven.
- Note: Cornstarch and Cornmeal make the patty extra crisp and also binds the patty together. Dusting the patty keep it from getting extra moist while dipping in the slurry.Dipping the patty in the slurry and then keeping in the refrigerator for setting after coating with breadcrumbs, helps in keeping the coating of the breadcrumbs well intact with the patty.
- I used store-bought burger buns, you can use homemade buns also, will be soon uploading Home-made Burger Bun recipe.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or tawa, toast the bun with little oil.
- Take half of the bun, place lettuce leaves(if you don't want lettuce leaves you can skip it, as in original McDonald's Aloo Tikki burger no lettuce leaves are used).
- Place the sauce or chutney of your choice, my kids, and hubby like it with tangy tomato-mayo sauce, and I like it with minty mayo with some sweet mustard.
- Place onion rings, then patty and then a tomato slice, top it with more sauce and cover with the other half of the burger.
Make Burger Patti in Air Fryer/Bake in Oven
- Pre-heat Air Fryer to 180°C or 350°F. When display indicates ADD FOOD, Add patties and Air Fry/bake for about 20 mins, turning after 10 mins.
- Once done, take out and use as required.
Enjoy the delicious fresh homemade hot burgers. I also served some Crunchy Paneer Nuggets along with burgers that I already had in the freezer, just had to fry those.
Make these aloo patties at home and enjoy the burgers, you surely will get compliments about making it way much better McDonald’s!!
Try these Rajma aur Palak ki Tikki(Red Kidney Beans and Spinach Cutlets) if you avoid potatoes in your diet.
Whenever you make these cookies, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!