Crispy outside and soft inside, coated with cinnamon sugar, the best Homemade Churros Recipe. Now enjoy favorite Churros in a more health friendly way. Made with Whole Flour, these Air Fryer/Baked Churros are guilt free treat for all the Churros lovers.
A detailed post on how to make the crispy cinnamon coated dessert/snack in Air Fryer or Oven.
Cinnamon sugar coated delicious buttery Churros are a treat all the age groups and these are a great choice for get togethers, picnics, Thanksgiving or Holiday dessert menu. So, perfect for anytime of the year.
What are Churros
Churros are the fried dessert (traditionally) made from Choux pastry dough and then coated in Cinnamon sugar. These are very popular in USA and are considered a part of Mexican Cuisine. These are also very popular in Portugal and Spain (considered as the country of it's origin). There Churros are served with sweet dipping sauces like Fudgy Chocolate sauce or fruit compotes.
The dough for making churros is made with All purpose flour and is cooked in a mixture of hot water mixed with butter and sugar. The cooked dough is then mixed with egg and whisked or beaten, transferred to a piping bag and then piped as strips into hot oil and fried till light golden brown. The fried Churros are then rolled in cinnamon sugar for their characteristic warm flavour.
- What are Churros
- Air Fryer Churros
- Why make Whole Wheat Eggless Churros in Air Fryer
- Ingredients to make the Best Homemade Churros
- How to make Churros Dough , Pipe it and Air Fry
- Coating Churros in Cinnamon Sugar
- Freezing and Reheating Churros
- Other baked and Air Fryer desserts from the blog that you will love to try
- Recipe Card for Churros(Air Fryer + Baked and Fried)
Air Fryer Churros
Air Fryer Churros are much lighter then deep fried ones and much more health friendly. And do not worry about the taste and the texture, these taste almost the same like the deep fried ones, except these are so less greasy.
Air Fried Churros are approved by my kids. They love the baked and air fryer version more than the fried one.
Making Churros in Air fryer is so much less fuss free then deep frying. No need to stand and keep a check or spilling of oil. Simply arrange the churros in air fryer basket set the time and it's done!
All the ingredients are easily available in the pantry. No need to go shopping for ingredients. 5 simple ingredients, under 30 mins of cooking time from prep to finish and here is your light delicious dessert is ready!
This is my tried and tested recipe for Baked and Air Fryer Eggless Homemade Churros.
Advantages of having Air Fryer at Home
Investing in an Air Fryer is one of the best decisions that we can make for our kitchen. This kitchen gadget is so handy and there are so many options available nowadays. It can be used for baking, as a substitute to frying (one of the best) and roasting the veggies, snacks.
- Air frying cuts down the amount of oil used for deep frying snacks.
- Deep frying certain food items may produce some cancer causing compounds. Air frying reduces the risk of formation of such compounds.
- No standing over the cooking dish and continuous monitoring.
- Use it to crisp the frozen food instead of deep frying which is more fuss, quick and more health friendly.
Air fryers are handy kitchen gadgets and do not occupy much counter space.
Use your Air Fryer in everyday cooking and you can even bake cakes and muffins as per the capacity of your Air Fryer.
Checkout the various Air Fryer Recipes form the blog here--> AIR FRYER RECIPES Vegetarian and Vegan
Why make Whole Wheat Eggless Churros in Air Fryer
I tried churros with egg in air fryer and they gave an eggy after taste which we didn't like. Also, due to medical reasons as suggested by our doctor, I have stopped using All Purpose Flour in my cooking. And have started using Whole Wheat Flour and other health friendly flours like Almond Flour, Coconut Flour and Millet Flour.
Deep fried Churros are good to have once in a while. But, if you want to cut down extra oil then Air Frying is definitely a better option.
Churros made with Whole Wheat Flour and air fried a bit dense but taste as good as made with APF and air fried. And when kids love it then no worries!!
Ingredients to make the Best Homemade Churros
Flour- I have used Whole Wheat Flour(WWF), but you can use All purpose flour(APF) as used in traditional Churros recipe.
Castor Sugar-To add in the dough and also to roll the churros. You can also powder the sugar to make cinnamon sugar.
Butter- For the dough. You can also keep extra melted butter and dip the Air Fried Churros for more buttery flavour.
Melted Butter or Oil to Brush the Churros or use Oil Spray.
Cinnamon and Vanilla Essence- For flavour.
Baking Powder- Many use it to make Eggless Churros Recipe. I have skipped it as without baking powder my churros come out perfect.
Liquid to flour ratio is 1:1. For every 1 cup of flour, use 1 cup water. When using Whole Wheat flour(WWF) add 1/3 cup extra water, as wheat absorbs more water.
Also, avoid wheat flour with more bran. You can also use 50:50 APF and WWF.
How to make Churros Dough , Pipe it and Air Fry
- To make the dough we first boil water. When water comes to boiling roll, add sugar and butter together and vanilla essence.
- Take flour in a pan, when water starts boiling add water to flour.
- Mix it very nicely to get smooth texture or lump free dough. You can use any spatula or hand held mixer/stand mixer.
- Once the batter cools down a bit and is warm enough to handle, transfer the dough to a piping bag, fitted with a Star Nozzle(1M tip).
- Pipe out strips of about 2-3 inches for mini churros. Or, keep the length which fits in your Air fryer basket. (Checkout the video on how to pipe the Churros).
- Pipe dough on a baking tray and then transfer to air fryer basket.
- Bake at 180C or 350F for 12-15 mins. Preheat your air fryer before air frying churros.
Coating Churros in Cinnamon Sugar
Take sugar and cinnamon powder in dish or plate. Mix well.
Let the Churros cool down for few seconds, when still warm coat nicely in cinnamon sugar and enjoy!!
Many people like to dip churros in melted butter before rolling in cinnamon sugar. Try it if you want buttery taste in your churros.
Baked Churros in Oven
For those who do not have an Air Fryer then you can use your Oven or OTG to bake churros. You can also bake in the Bake Mode of your Conventional Microwave Oven.
Details in the recipe card.
How to make deep fried Churros
Refer to the video with the recipe card(soon to be uploaded)
For traditional deep fried churros, pipe the dough directly in hot oil. Keep the length as preferred and cut the end with scissor to drop in oil. Fry for about 2 mins on both the sides. You can use a tongs for even frying. Refer to the Video in the recipe card.
Tips to remember while deep Frying the Churros
The oil should be hot enough. Drop a pinch of batter in hot oil. It should sizzle and rise. If the oil is not hot enough, the batter will splatter in oil and churros will soak lot of oil. If the oil is very hot, churros will remain uncooked from inside and will get brown from outside.
Freezing and Reheating Churros
You can freeze cooked Churros for about a month. Reheat in oven /air fryer on preheat mode. Do not freeze cooked churros coated in cinnamon sugar, as sugar will get very sticky while reheating. You can coat in cinnamon sugar after reheating.
Churros dough can be refrigerated for about 1-2 days and you can freeze it for about a month. Or, you can pipe the dough into strips/ or straight lines, freeze the pipped dough and then fry/air fry or bake directly without thawing.
Other baked and Air Fryer desserts from the blog that you will love to try
Recipe Card for Churros(Air Fryer + Baked and Fried)
Homemade Churros( Air Fryer and Baked)
- Mixing Bowl
- Star Pipping Tip 1M
- Pipping Bag
- 1 Cup Flour WWF or APF
- 2 tbsp Butter Salted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt if using unsalted butter or oil
- 2 tbsp Castor Sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 Cup Water see notes
- Melted butter(optional) to brush the churros
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Castor Sugar or very fine sugar
For Frying Churros(optional)
- 2 Cups Oil
- In a heavy bottom pan, add water.1 Cup Water
- Add butter, sugar, vanilla essence and whisk nicely till the mixture starts to boil.2 tbsp Butter, 2 tbsp Castor Sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Now lower the flame, add flour. Mix very nicely. Add salt also if using oil or unsalted butter.1 Cup Flour, 1/4 tsp Salt
- Take off the flame and mix well so that the flour combines nicely in the mixture without forming any lumps.
- Again stir 3-4 times the dough with the help of a spatula. Mix till smooth.
- Let it cool down a bit, when it still feels warm to touch, transfer some mixture in a piping bag, fitted with a star nozzle.
To Air Fry
- Pipe the dough into small sticks or strips on a parchment paper or baking sheet.
- You can freeze the dough for about 15-30 mins, or air fry directly.
- Spray or brush the air fryer basket lightly with oil.
- Arrange Churros in the basket keeping enough space between each piece.
- Air Fry for 15 mins at 200° C or 375° F or till churros are light golden brown in color.
- Take out of the air fryer and let it cool for a minute and then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Pipe the dough on a baking sheet or parchment paper. Keep space between the pieces.
- You can freeze for at least 15-30 mins.
- Then bake in preheated oven at 200° C or 375° F.
- Cool it a bit for a min. and then roll it in cinnamon sugar.
- Alternatively you can also, dip churros in melted butter or drizzle melted butter over baked/air fried churros and cool the churros a bit and then roll in cinnamon sugar.Melted butter(optional)
- Churros taste best when served warm and fresh. But you can store the leftover cooked churros in an airtight container. Freeze for a month and refrigerate for about 4-5 days,
- Do not roll the baked/air fried churros in cinnamon sugar if planning to freeze.
- You can also, freeze the pipped dough for about a month. Pipe on a parchment paper, freeze for about 30 mins. when the pipped lines become frimmer then transfer to an airtight container and freeze.
- Reheat the refrigerated Churros on preheat mode or till these are warm enough to serve.
- To air fry or bake the frozen churros, take out of the freeze line on the air fryer basket or baking tray lightly brushed with oil.
- Brush the dough with oil or melted butter and then bake or air fry at 200° C or 375° F in preheated oven or air fryer. set the timer for 15 mins. or bake till golden brown in color.
To fry Churros the traditional way
- Heat oil in pan/kadhai, drop a small piece of batter in oil, it should sizzle and rise up. Oil is ready to fry.2 Cups Oil
- Pipe the dough straight into hot oil . Use a scissor to cut the end and drop the dough in oil. Checkout the video.
- Fry for 2 mins. from all the sides. Use a pair of tongs for even frying.
- Fry till golden brown, take out and cool for a min. Then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Mix together castor sugar and cinnamon powder in a dish or plate.1 tsp Cinnamon Powder, ½ tsp Castor Sugar or very fine sugar
- You can powder the sugar of castor sugar is not available.
Do try these Air Fryer Churros made without eggs. You and your family especially kids will surely love these. Kids are going to ask you again again to make these at home!!
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!