Donut Balls (Appe Pan/Aebleskiver Pan Recipe) filled with Nutella | Whole Wheat Donut Balls in Appe /Aebleskiver Pan
Soft and Fluffy EGGLESS DONUT BALLS made with WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR. NO BAKE NO FRY, with health friendly ingredients and no doubt kids' favorite !!
In these delicious Donut Balls, I have used NUTELLA as filling that all the kids love. And why only kids.. NUTELLA is a favorite all those who have sweet tooth!!
I make these quite often and with different variations for kid's lunchbox/ snacks but don't know why kept on postponing the recipe for the blog. Sometimes, the most frequently made dishes are taken for granted or finished too quickly for the pic to be clicked or whatever the reason be!! Never mind finally it is here on my blog.. and I am sure you and your kids too will love my version of these delish Donut Balls.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from the traditional Danish Aebleskiver Pancakes that are made in the Aebleskiver Pan.
Aebleskiver Pan/Appe Pan/Paniyaram Pan
Aebleskiver Pan is similar to the Appe Pan/Paniyaram Pan used majorly in Southern States of India to make snacks known as Appam or Appe. Nowadays it is very popular all over India and lot of people have started using it. As we can dish out some of the very easy quick and low oil/fat snacks in the pan, like these Banana Oats Appam , Millets Appam
Aebleskiver Pan originated in Denmark and is used to make Danish Pancakes also popular as Aebleskiver Pancakes. Traditionally these are stuffed with apple pieces(Aebleskiver means Apple slices in Danish) and served as pancakes with honey/maple syrup or jam. But nowadays all kind of fillings are added.
I have this pan with 12 cavities, make mini paniyarams. Usually Appe/Aebleskiver have 6 cavities.
If you don't have one, it is available online at Amazon and other stores. In India, it is available at most of the stores which sell kitchen essentials. In USA, it is available at stores like Walmart, Target, but you have to check the availability.
I have this non-stick pan which was gifted to me a few years back by one of my friend. The pan is also available in cast iron, but it needs good maintenance. Lot of people have started using cast iron utensils for cooking due to various health benefits.
To order Online
Cast Iron Pan
Non Stick Pan
Linking these Donut Balls with Nutella, to the Facebook Foodies Group Foodie Monday Bloghop, where the theme this week is Panirayam Pan Magic Pan. Suggested by Priya Vj who blogs at Sweet Spicy and Tasty.
Priya made these delicious savory Dal Appe/Lentil Appe
Another appe recipe from her blog I will love to try is Watermelon Dumplings. Do checkout her space for more easy quick and delicious recipes.
Coming back to my Nutella Stuffed Donut Balls, you can also call these CAKE BALLS also, as these have a bit cakey texture. My little one calls these cake donut holes. They love to take these in their lunchbox for snack time, or even have with glass of milk for morning breakfast or evening snacks. These go so well with a cup of Ginger tea or Coffee Donut balls when sweet cravings hit.
Ingredients for Donut Balls (Appe Pan/Aebleskiver Pan)
Flour- I used Whole Wheat Flour(WWF), which is a much healthier choice then the All Purpose Flour(APF). You can also use Multigrain Flour. All Purpose flour or a mix of APR with WWF is also fine in case you want to use it.
I use Ashirwad Whole Wheat Atta , you can use any trusted brand. In US and other countries you can order online through Amazon or any other service.
Fat- For the recipe I used melted butter, you can also add olive oil or any other flavorless oil like Rice Bran.
Sweetener- I mostly use organic sugar like Raw Cane Sugar/Jaggery Powder/Palm or Coconut Sugar in place of castor sugar in desserts. These are much better options than the synthetic sugar which has no nutritional value.
Egg Replacer- Yogurt is a wonderful option as an egg replacer. I have also used buttermilk(made with milk and vinegar). Both the ingredients make the donut balls/pancakes very soft light and fluffy.
Another option for liquid and to add softness is Paneer Whey(the leftover water after draining homemade Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese). If you follow my blog, you must have read many recipes where I use Paneer whey for cakes and breads. I adds so much softness to bakes. You can substitute Paneer Whey in place of buttermilk. Checkout these soft and fluffy Mango Cardamom Cupcakes, Star Bread for Christmas where I added Paneer whey.
Other- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Nutella for filling(check notes in Recipe Card for other options), Cinnamon Powder. While assembling the ingredients, I realized I ran out of Vanilla Essence, so I used Cinnamon Powder. You can add Vanilla Essence or Orange essence.
How to make No Fry Donut Balls in Aebleskiver/Paniyaram Pan
Recipe Card for Donut Balls (Appe Pan/Aebleskiver Pan Recipe)
Nutella Stuffed Donut Balls(Appe Pan/Aebleskiver Pan Recipe)
- Aebleskiver pan/Appe/ Paniyaram Pan
- ¾ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup minus 2tbsp Raw Sugar(Jaggery Powder/Palm Sugar/Raw Cane Sugar) or Castor Sugar
- ½ Cup Thick Plain Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter/Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Nutella /Choco Spread or any Jam/Jelly
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- a pinch Salt if using Oil
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder or Vanilla Essence
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar(Apple Cider)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (if using)
- Make buttermilk. add vinegar to milk and let it stand for 5-10 mins. Do not stir.
- In a mixing bowl, take butter/oil , sugar and mix till sugar dissolves.
- Add yogurt and beat till smooth mix.
- Add flour /dry ingredient mix, lightly fold the batter.
- Add buttermilk as required to adjust the consistency.
- Lightly oil or butter the appe pan with a pastry brush.
- With an ice cream scooper or a spoon, carefully transfer batter in the cavities. Fill only half or ¾.
- With a small spoon or tsp, add Nutella over the batter. Add as required. Do not add to much.
- Cover Nutella with the rest of the batter.
- Switch on the gas and keep the appe pan/aebleskiver pan on low heat. Let the donut balls cook for about 2-3 mins.
- Flip the balls carefully with a spoon/fork or wooden skewers.
- Cook from the other side also. Keep on rotating the donut balls until the batter is cooked from inside. Check with a toothpick. Do not insert the toothpick in the enter ad Nutella will stick
- Take out the donut balls from the cavities using spoon, cool completely or enjoy warm with more chocolate syrup/maple syrup or just like that.
- Keep in an air tight container, though all the pieces are gone as soon as you serve these ;)!!
- Use any other Jam/Jelly or thick fruit preserve.
- Add Choco Chips with or with finely chopped nuts.
- Add any fruit slices or small whole berries like blue berries.
- Cream cheese is another option that you can try.
- Substitute butter with any good plant based oil.
- Use any plant based milk to make buttermilk.
- Use Plant based yogurt.
Do try these Donut Balls and I am sure you and your kids will love it as much as we love these. It's a fun project to make with kids where you can play with filling.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!